Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Cleaning these walls, how much and best way?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

slippy

How much would you quote for the walls on these flats?  Also, is a pressure washer the best way to clean them?  I did find on a similar wall the paint came off if the pressure washer was too close,but cleaned from a distance 

20180108_232911.jpg

20180108_232853.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A weak SH solution.  Apply first coat.  Stiff brush to agitate. Rinse and repeat. 

Many seem to think it's as simple as spraying hypo and leaving it but the scrubbing is the real key. You'd get those clean with soapy water and a stiff brush if you really wanted to. 

As for price.  Half day £280

A weak SH solution.  Apply first coat.  Stiff brush to agitate. Rinse and repeat. 

Many seem to think it's as simple as spraying hypo and leaving it but the scrubbing is the real key. You'd get those clean with soapy water and a stiff brush if you really wanted to. 

Will try what u said.

What's SH solution?  

£280?  That much for scrubbing walls? 

Pressure washing them will work just fine also.  HOWEVER.... AND THIS PART IS IMPORTANT. 

You need to do a survey first.  As you should be doing on ANY job.  

It's not just there's some dirt on the wall i'll clean it off...... as you your self pointed out.... what if the paint is deteriated?  Some concrete walls I have seen over the years are crumbling beneath the paint so perhaps a power washer is not the answer but untill inspected you dont know. .

Then there's the fact that if you're still not confident that you know how to do it properly and safely then you should just tell the owner.... 'Not for me thank you.... not something I can do'   

A customer will prefer an honest refusal to a poorly cleaned and damaged wall. 

Pressure washing them will work just fine also.  HOWEVER.... AND THIS PART IS IMPORTANT. 

You need to do a survey first.  As you should be doing on ANY job.  

It's not just there's some dirt on the wall i'll clean it off...... as you your self pointed out.... what if the paint is deteriated?  Some concrete walls I have seen over the years are crumbling beneath the paint so perhaps a power washer is not the answer but untill inspected you dont know. .

Then there's the fact that if you're still not confident that you know how to do it properly and safely then you should just tell the owner.... 'Not for me thank you.... not something I can do'   

A customer will prefer an honest refusal to a poorly cleaned and damaged wall. 
They're pretty new walls I think.  Anyhow, to survey them, do you just press in on parts of Wall to see if it goes in a bit,  therefore crumbly inside?   The problem with the pressure washer was on the tops of the walls where the dirt was very ingrained so had to go very close to remove it and this took some paint off not render.   That wall is getting repainted anyhow.  

A survey is just a visual inspection to check for any visable defects in the wall and the overall condition.  

If you're cleaning it with the aim of it being ready to repaint then the painter will appreciate you having removed any loose and flaking paint anyhow. 

A survey is just a visual inspection to check for any visable defects in the wall and the overall condition.  

If you're cleaning it with the aim of it being ready to repaint then the painter will appreciate you having removed any loose and flaking paint anyhow. 
What defects are you looking for in particular? 

Please don't take this as rude but if you cant answer that question yourself you need to leave the job alone. 

I have already answered in the above comments. 
And that my friends is when MrGreen can't help any further without taking up his working day.

You will probably do better getting more information from the web or when we have finished for the day.

And don't take that the wrong way as MrGreen said. You might be a bit out your depth without looking into this further.

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Where do u guys buy your chemicals?  Hypo and other softwashing products.  Mask etc as well.  Just youtubed softwashing doesn't look like rocketscience but  h&s is important.  Also the previous gardener at the block of flats I do work on killed all the grass when cleaning the patio.  He got sacked. I guess he got hypo on the grass. 

They're pretty new walls I think.  Anyhow, to survey them, do you just press in on parts of Wall to see if it goes in a bit,  therefore crumbly inside?   The problem with the pressure washer was on the tops of the walls where the dirt was very ingrained so had to go very close to remove it and this took some paint off not render.   That wall is getting repainted anyhow.  

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Just say no to the job and get some more window work. 

I never did softwashing but did a lot of pressure washing, carpets , gutters etc. 

Stopped doing them a few months ago to solely concentrate on windows and not only do i now earn more money I do significantly less fannying about. 

Trying to do a bit of everything only pulls you in too many directions.

I never did softwashing but did a lot of pressure washing, carpets , gutters etc. 

Stopped doing them a few months ago to solely concentrate on windows and not only do i now earn more money I do significantly less fannying about. 

I know what you mean.  But I do the maintenance on a block of flats next door to this job every week for £130 (good money for me).  I am hoping this job  lands me regular work with this block of flats too. I just don't have the numbers for customers in window cleaning. Bournemouth and Poole are saturated with window cleaners and the money earned isn't that high. 

That's what u did and they came up nice

Brush and washing up liquid then rinse. 

I sprayed hypo 4 to 1 with Surfactant on just the remaining lines (as in bottom photo). Couldn't shift those faint lines though 

DSC_0130.JPG

DSC_0131.JPG

DSC_0132.JPG

How long did you leave the hypo to dwell?

Did you re apply to the stubborn stains?

Why scrub with fairy first?..should have sprayed the whole wall.. agitated and left alone for up to an hour

How long did you leave the hypo to dwell?

Did you re apply to the stubborn stains?

Why scrub with fairy first?..should have sprayed the whole wall.. agitated and left alone for up to an hour
25 mins

Didn't reapply.  

. Was worried about the plants and the brushing alone seemed to get rid of the green algae stuff. 

So spray the whole wall next time with hypo and use the stiff bristled brush on it afterwards to get rid of those stubborn lines ? 

Apply with an old wfp brush with fan jets and scrub while applying

Leave 30 minutes ish then re apply to stubborn lines etc

Leave another while then rinse

Should all go then

Latest Posts

Back