Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Groupon

WCF

Help Support WCF:

T

The Gutter Goblin

I know this subject was raised about a year ago but has anybody since used Groupon to gain business?

I've had a quick chat with them and they wanted my deal to be £24 to clean out up to 25m of guttering (about half price).

They take 35% commission + VAT (42% in total) leaving £14 odd in my pocket!

Their argument is that you can (potentially) up sell further services - gutter/fascia washing, conservatory clean, pressure washing, etc. get repeat business and you also gain (free?) adverising in your local city.

Has anybody tried this and found it worthwhile both in the short and long term?

I'm not interested at those rates but its good to find out what they charge and share it with you all.

I would imagine its a good way for newbies to launch a new business.

No it's not gutter goblin as is like shooting yourself in your foot bigtime. :Image13:

I would imagine its a good way for newbies to launch a new business.

Oh dear...the only winners using groupon are the customers getting really cheap deals & groupon making loads of dosh.

hmmmm...now why did I not think of that one rodney :Image16:

Oh well this time next year rodders we're be millionaires

_52320881_000304537-1.jpg

I have thought about running a groupon a few times. As I understand it they like to get you to offer 50% off of your services. My idea to get round this would be to double the prices on your website. I also believe you can set a minimum amount of purchases, have thought of advertising 5 window cleans 3 bed semi for £75, with a window clean priced at £30 on my website too fool groupon. Lets say you set it to a minimum of 30 customers & also within a certain radius. If you make it work it can pay. Just have to make people think they are getting a bargain!

I know it works out about £7.50 per house per clean you get after groupon cut but if you offer to extend the deal to existing customers at your usual £12? Price I'm sure they will keep you on if they are happy with the service.

Why would it be against trading standards? That's my price though? It's not like any of us actually have a fixed price? I have identical houses at different prices would be a hard one to prove. Plus £30 is my one off price, if they buy 5 regular cleans I can do them a discount?

Hmmm I would say ask Richy Wilts but he's in nick .

But I remember him saying by the time he had finished doing all the gutter cleans be had from Groupon he

Hadn't made any profit from it so id stay well clear .

People who go on Groupon go there for one reason and one reason only and that is to get things cheap !

You dont want to work cheap you want to get good paid jobs !

If you did what they say and pay them nearly % 50 of the deal price and did that over say 10 jobs thats what for arguments sake £150

You could get a pretty good return on Google adwords for that !!

Ive been looking at adwords myself for gutter cleaning and the average cpc for gutter cleaning is about 40p so for what groupon would take for 1 gutter clean at their worse than doley rates you could potentially get between 30 + 40 enquiries .

This is just from a bit of a logical thinking perspective some people wont agree but this is what my thinking is .

Group on don't work in this industry I'm afraid to say,a few people Ive knocked for have been that route. 1 off mania. Ive even knocked on customers that have said they have a group on offer and I always take their number and call them up about the windows a month or so after they've had the group on guy round. No loyalty with these people just want cheap cheap. I think your probably better off leafleting.

Anyone can be a busy fool but the trick is to make good money on each job.

My advice would be to stay well clear of groupon. Simples...

No one clicks on Adwords well I don't anyway , Joe I know there's a lot of competition round our way but there's loads of work out there mate. I know for a fact people get jealous round here too when people see you doing well! To me that groupon thing sounds poop mate, get some leaflets done and get out there on your days off cane the area with your leaflets if they look good it will bring in work /emoticons/smile.png

Back