Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Now thet're planning to tax diesel drivers for going near schools or using the roads in rush hour

PJ Bullard

Following on from my thread last week, here is yet another article about how they are going to HAMMER diesel drivers in the not-long-whatsoever-future, and not just with higher road tax.

Read it: Diesel drivers face new 'pay as you pollute' charges | Daily Mail Online

For those who thought only London would be affected, think again. All Local authorities now have targets for reducing emissions and diesel driver are going to pay. If you read the article, you'll see that the crazies are developing tracking systems, that, wait for it - CAN SEE WHERE, WHEN AND HOW YOU DRIVE and then, it will AUTOMATICALLY BILL YOU for your driving charge that day. George Orwell must be spinning in his grave. If you go near a school, it will cost more, if you accelerate harshly, it will cost more if you drive in peak times, it will cost more.

Think about it. If you have a nice either new or newish diesel van now, imagine how the value of it will plummet overnight when this all comes in. I'd like to know what will happen to the millions of self emplyed van drivers like myself, cos we are going to be completely FCUKED.

PJ

The cost incurred will just be added on to the price of the job.

Van drivers and the self employed didn't stop working in central London when the congestion charge was introduced these cost and charges don't stop people driving diesel vechiles they just make it more expensive.

A good freind of mine has an electrical firm with a few vans we where talking the other day and he said the cost of getting one of his vans in to central London is around £100 with congestion charge,parking,fuel, and van costs.

He didn't start losing a £100 a van he just charged his customers more.

That may well be the case in London, but the article is saying that they will sweep these changes in across the entire country.

Ever Local Authority has to meet these 'clean air targets' and so, they will charge you for driving into the town centre or past a school whether you live in london or not.

Yes in London you may well be able to add a higher price, but I cant see other parts of the country paying any higher for window cleaning.

As of now, I believe it is, if you have a diesel van in London, its £24 a day congestion charge. Spartan will know.

Personally Im angry about it. A few years ago they advised people that diesel was better not worse for the environment, and so there was a spike in people buying diesel vehicles. Now they say the opposite is the case.

As if we aren't taxed enough. We are taxed on our jobs, on the things we buy, on our inheritance, VAT, council tax, tv license,..on and on it goes and up and up it goes endlessly. As if there is never enough money to solve the problems. As if taxing people has anything to do with saving the planet - thats just the excuse to tax us.

We're free honey.

Yeah right

Across the country or London the price for services will rise.

Nearly all vans,lorrys are diesel any green commercial vechiles are exspensive to buy or are not proved to be reliable or operate for long hours.

As an example the milkman,postman,dhl,garbage truck all run on diesel if they are to replace there fleets with green alternatives the price will be offset with their service costs going up.

In most business sectors it will be cheaper to pay the tax than replace the vechiles.

It dosen't matter where you are in the uk if your costs go up so will your prices.

I also wouldn't Belive half of what the daily mail print they are one of the worst for lies and scaremongering.

I hear what your saying, Daily Mail should be called Daily BS instead.

A part of me knows that these things always straighten themselves out in the long run anyway.

But I can tell you one thing: I'm never buying a diesel vehicle again.

PJ

They'll have to design and build new green vans when these changes come in.

Green Pro - I don't know if there are any on the market yet, but I doubt it. The pulling power you can get out of electric is limited, as far as I understand, and seeing as van drivers have heavy loads to transport around, they need to get their thinking caps on.

Like Jeremey Clarkson once said on Top Gear - you can knock fossil fuels all you like, but it is far more practical to pull up at a petrol station and fill up, than it is to plug in a battery for hours on end and only have a limited run time on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back