customers getting too friendly

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by Danfire, Dec 2, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Danfire

Danfire Well-Known Member

I've got a growing number of customers that all want me to come inside, sit down, eat some sandwiches and cake they've made me, drink tea with them and tell them everything that's gone on since I last visited...lovely as they all are it's really eating into my hourly rate....The slightest hint that I'm in a hurry and not wanting their hospitality their faces look like they've just heard about a death in the family....any suggestions?

Advertisement
  2. Declan Mc

Declan Mc Member

I love cake so can't really help! I bite their hands off if I get offered a cuppa or anything.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Green Pro Clean Ltd

I'd love to but need to get done as git dentist appointment

4. Solarpanelcleanington

Solarpanelcleanington Forum Addict

I've the same problem but have come to the conclusion that chatting is part of the job.
    When pricing new jobs I add chatting tax.

Also I'll often work the day without stopping. It's got to be good to take a breather for 5 every couple of hours.

5. Njones

Njones Well-Known Member
    Supplier

Try to always reach their houses at lunch time or break time - or even the last house of the day. Enjoy their hospitality,.. mention repeatedly that you're struggling to keep your schedule, but never turn down a cuppa! :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. adamangler

adamangler Wakefield Window Warrior

Well luckily for me im not very good at making small talk so they understand from the off this is a business relationship. I really only have 2-3 customers that i chat a bit to and even then its only about the weather or hows it going kind of thing. 50% of my customers are out and the others simply get a knock, "hi im just cleaning your windows" ok no problem thanks. door shuts i get round and onto the next

I suppose ive had the odd one where weve just clicked and talked for ages, but its rare for me to meet someone and be able to talk like i know them, im pretty useless at talking to strangers tbh lol

7. TolishAPurd

I have the same problem, too much chit chat slowing me down. And like you say, it's hard to pull the plug on it when ots got like that. I'm using a few prepackaged exudes at the moment, obvious one being how it gets dark so early so you have to get a move on.

8. mark

mark Forum Addict

have a long term custy-there both great & like to talk"A LOT"this week it was different.she didn't want the windows cleaning:eek:she looked ill.decided to call back on my way home.husband was in a right state & he said she had been diagnosed with something,didnt like to ask.there both great people.while I was talking i asked my op to get a bunch of flowers.it wasn't going to make her well but it cheered her up a little.moral of the story money isn't everything when your down a one way road.

9. steve garwood

steve garwood ginger lion

I think its part of the job to have a little chat otherwise you become 'a window cleaner' and not ' their window cleaner'. I've got a customer who has the hump with me because I ignored his friend request on facebook!. Saddo

10. Damo

Damo Guru

Set your alarm on phone for 3
    Mins. Get into convo. Alarm goes off. Gotta take this call sorry.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
Advertisement