Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

If You Were To Advise a Teenager With Hardly Any Qualifications...

I'd advise they do some aptitude tests which might help point the way.

Perhaps armed forces or apprenticeship building industry or healthcare

If they were academic i would point them towards IT, Law, or Medicine.And if they were the more practical type, I would say go get a trade; Plumbing, Sparky, Chippy etc, although advise them into something thats not going to mess up thier body too much like plastering, or carpet fitting.

As mentioned above, I don't think the armed forces is ever a bad thing, although I would steer him towards something that translates to a job outside in civvy street like engineer, comms technician etc, as opposed to infantry.

aircon or refrigeration, get on a college course in it and work as a lackey at the same time in an aircon refurb shop

i looked into doing this trade myself jus before i took up as a windie [ id jus ceased being a car mechanic after many yrs ] and theres good courses in it or was at the time . but i decided it was too similar to mechanics id probably hate doin it within 2 yrs and the night time callouts would suit a youngster but not me now

Last edited:
If he like motor engines and feeling of freedom (most teenagers do i belive) then truck driving might be him. nothing better than that power and weight under your foot, exept for a perfect clean window lol

If they were academic i would point them towards IT, Law, or Medicine.And if they were the more practical type, I would say go get a trade; Plumbing, Sparky, Chippy etc, although advise them into something thats not going to mess up thier body too much like plastering, or carpet fitting.
As mentioned above, I don't think the armed forces is ever a bad thing, although I would steer him towards something that translates to a job outside in civvy street like engineer, comms technician etc, as opposed to infantry.
Agree with the I.T career if they were handy with computers, loads of money in marketing and it these days,

Other than that, an apprenticeship in a skilled trade.

Would do a lot of listening......and try to only advise when asked or it's appropriate within the context of the conversation.

Easier said than done /emoticons/smile.png

At the end of the day it needs to be something that they enjoy doing. You didn't mention if it was a boy or girl, but either way it's all down to drive and determination and passion, so has to be something that they enjoy. Many people have had no qualifications/left school early and still become millionaires. I would ask then what they would love to do (within reason, sports and astronauts etc may be out of the question) and then tell them not to stop until they are doing it!

Interesting that no one has mentioned window cleaning.
I love the windows, but its not something I would have my kids aim towards. I would rather they used it more as a fall back than a career. Otherwise, if they don't like the window cleaning they are screwed with no skills and knowledge in anything else.

I love the windows, but its not something I would have my kids aim towards. I would rather they used it more as a fall back than a career. Otherwise, if they don't like the window cleaning they are screwed with no skills and knowledge in anything else.
id think a general cleaning bod would be worth suggesting. in no time at all a general house cleaner is always very busy. iv seen several startup and without exception they get busy quickly , but unless they employ they burn out due to the workload . probably not the best thing to tell a new starter

I think windows suits a more mature person. There's the physical side, but also the marketing, social people person side getting the work, practical issues that arise, and the potential need to stand ground on issues and stand firm

id think a general cleaning bod would be worth suggesting. in no time at all a general house cleaner is always very busy. iv seen several startup and without exception they get busy quickly , but unless they employ they burn out due to the workload . probably not the best thing to tell a new starter
The problems I hve with this and any other cleaning trade as a 1man band is that the pay is almost capped, as there is only so much you can do in a day. You are only as good as your health, get injured and ill and you're fcked. And I don't like being in a job that is so easily flooded with newbies. Better to be in a skilled trade thats hard to learn- plumbers for example, its very tough to get trained as a plumber, the courses are there, but you leave with no real knowledge....talk to any plumber and he will tell you he probably gets 2 calls a week from qualified people offering to work fro free just for the experience. The shortage of trained people has kept the day rate very high.

might be worth suggesting that he/she does several parttime jobs . most youngsters will scoff at this idea ,"i want a real job" but the truth is juggling several jobs will be for the best in the long run. best for mental health too.

Unless someone's exceptionally smart in a field, say sciences, I'd go practical / Vocational courses every time. Most people with degrees get an office job, no passion, nothing to get stuck into, just 20-30 k for life commuting and living for the weekend while their bodies slowly slump over a desk. Only the top/lucky 5-10% end up doing something interesting I'd guess

I would advise if they really loved doing something then to go with that.

But knowing what i know now i would tell them to be an entrpeneur and start there own business, they should still learn a trade or go to university and get a degree if poss but focus on having a business.

I was doing an IT degree, been doing it over 2 years, its really not interesting to me now so i jacked it in to start this cleaning lark. I would never be happy working for someone else now no matter the job or pay. Moneys not the be all and end all i really love the flexibilty, freedom and opportunites being self employed holds.

Would do a lot of listening......and try to only advise when asked or it's appropriate within the context of the conversation.
Easier said than done /emoticons/smile.png
Listening is the key! Find out their likes/dislikes, hobbies/interests and go from there. Our role should only be to listen and guide, never to be pushy or forceful!

I don't think gender should be relevant either, anyone should be allowed to have a bash at whatever they have the passion and desire for.

I think some people benefit from force or rather discipline, if they haven't a clue. Better that than drift into addictions or crime. Education beyond a point can become a hinderance, over educated but lacking life skills.

Back