Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

A story or two from the old days.........

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Glasscleaner

Thought that I would share a couple of stories from the old days with you, and hopefully raise a smile or two.

My first offering was when I was pretty new to the window cleaning lark. I had managed to get myself an old van for around £30 (didn't spend much even back then - 1990) and had sign written it myself - might try and find a pic - and in the back had a garden water butt for my water.

The butt was 'secured' by a couple of bungees which held it well until..........I found that they were not quite up to the job when having to brake hard one particular day! The butt was directly behind me and the braking set up a sloshing motion which rocked the water butt with the water eventually sloshing out of the butt and drenching me. o_O I then had to drive home to sort it all out with water around my ankles with water dripping through the many holes that were in the floor! :whistle:

That van eventually got me a contract with a commercial cleaning company which enabled me to grow the business. :clap: I also made sure that the water butt was better secured

Cheapie, while you're thinking.......here is another.

Still in the 90's, by now I am cleaning office buildings and listening to music via a Sony walkman (for the younger readers, this was a portable device with headphones on which you could listen to the radio or listen to music via cassettes).

One such job in Bracknell saw me up a ladder with my trusty Walkman cleaning windows which had - as I remember - a brown/bronze mirror tint (hell in hot sunshine!) - remember it was the 90's :emo: and listening to some Chris de Burgh o_O and singing along to such great hits as 'Don't pay the ferryman'.

Fast forward an hour or so...........now I am doing the interior windows.........

It was only then that I realised that everyone in the office - who I couldn't see due to the window tint - could see out, and see me (not hear me thank goodness) singing along :eek:

yep me fell for that too...only recently ...mirrored windows...

singing and er...dancing....only then did I notice the woman sat on the chair...oops..:rofl:

yep me fell for that too...only recently ...mirrored windows...
singing and er...dancing....only then did I notice the woman sat on the chair...oops..:rofl:
30 ft. up :eek:

yep I do remember that cleaner cleaning the kitchen floor on her hands and knees heading towards me with her low cut top ..

30ft up..:eek:

wouldnt mind but it was a very small window and took me a very long time...:rofl::specs

Back