Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

sounds daft

kraig89

How many people on here ain't window cleaners for full time job and just like it as a hobby I know it sounds stupid

i know a local big gutted guy who posts on forums as a real expert 15yrs AND each day he sets off in his smart signwritten van-but doesnt go cleaning, oh no hes in having a long drawn out breakfast in tescos and then round visiting his mum . i caught him at it

He probably makes more money in a day when he dose work that you make in a week boarcity:D

Never judge a book by its cover as they say :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I treat it a hobby as I have better things to be doing with my time than working long hours and put up with the added hassle/stress of having ppl work for me too.

For me I LOVE my job but at the end of the day 'work' works around everything else.......sounds cheesy but my family & kids are my full time job which my hobby supports /emoticons/smile.png

me not like work at all any work in fact me not like moving at all..but....would probs be soon dead if I didnt have to do it....oh me happy as long as me have my weekend s free..../emoticons/biggrin.png

:love: window cleaning and am part time but if i wasnt being paid would not do it as a hobby

He probably makes more money in a day when he dose work that you make in a week boarcity:DNever judge a book by its cover as they say :rolleyes:
last 2yrs various windies i know we are all on alert to text each other if see him actually cleaning . no text yet !

last 2yrs various windies i know we are all on alert to text each other if see him actually cleaning . no text yet !
we want to know on here as well

book him to clean your windows Boar :rofl:

For me I LOVE my job but at the end of the day 'work' works around everything else.......sounds cheesy but my family & kids are my full time job which my hobby supports /emoticons/smile.png
Totally agree there

Thing is i enjoy my job so much it is hard to think of it as work

That's why i do it..good money for enjoying myself and chatting to people

Liquidator or unger ss ergotec

The unger probably easier to use but the liquidator will make your life easier once you get used to it

So what would the best squeegee channel to use for just few houses every 2 weeks
For me mate, it's an Unger channel, with an Ettore rubber. Just my personal preference, but it works for me.

A few newbie questions from a newbie!

I’m currently doing a bit of practice and getting a plan together before canvassing. I want get a bit more practice and then I’ll know I can be confident of doing a good job when I do my approaches for business.

I’m working in a full time job and work 9 – 5.15PM. By the time I get home it’s just before 6.30pm.

Has anyone experience of doing a full time job and then doing it par time in the evenings/weekends and then taking it full time when the business gets going?

As its coming into the summer with longer daylight hours are people open to getting jobs done in the evening? Weekends Saturday/Sunday the same?

How would you approach this in your sales patter?

When you get a job let’s say you agree a time and date for the following week, do you text a reminder to them before you turn up?

These are really basic questions but would just like to be prepared in advance

Thanks guys

A few newbie questions from a newbie!

I’m currently doing a bit of practice and getting a plan together before canvassing. I want get a bit more practice and then I’ll know I can be confident of doing a good job when I do my approaches for business.

I’m working in a full time job and work 9 – 5.15PM. By the time I get home it’s just before 6.30pm.

Has anyone experience of doing a full time job and then doing it par time in the evenings/weekends and then taking it full time when the business gets going?

As its coming into the summer with longer daylight hours are people open to getting jobs done in the evening? Weekends Saturday/Sunday the same?

How would you approach this in your sales patter?

When you get a job let’s say you agree a time and date for the following week, do you text a reminder to them before you turn up?

These are really basic questions but would just like to be prepared in advance

Thanks guys
Just keep chipping away mate. My advice is to start with family and friends (they'll be pleased to be getting their windows done for nowt/at a mate rate,) plus it'll be good practice for you, will give you experience at tackling a range of different types of properties, plus you won't be so scared of making a mistake or two. Practice makes perfect!

As for fitting it in, the beauty of working for yourself is that you can work the hours that suit you. Just say to your new customers that at the minute you can fit them in on evenings and weekends. You don't have to tell them that you're fitting it in around your current job. For all they know, you might be super busy cleaning windows.

I've never had a customer turn me away because it's a weekend or too late in the evening. Just be straight with them about when you can fit them in, and if they're happy then you can turn up with piece of mind.

Good luck mate, you won't regret taking the plunge.

Oh and as for txt reminders. You'll find that you'll have to do this for some customers. Mainly for the ones that have gates locked, or the pain in the **** ones that don't like you just turning up unannounced. Most of my cuties aren't bothered though, it's usually just a "Crack on when you like mate, and if we aren't in, do them and leave a slip" type attitude.

Never agree a time just a date and then do it when you can

My customers know what week i will turn up but that is it..i text if i need to for access and do it when i do it

Don't explain too much to people just ask the question do you need a windie and then tell them when you can fit them in

we want to know on here as wellbook him to clean your windows Boar :rofl:
he wont fall for that ! thing is i got to know him on that other forum. at the time i was a rookie and i really looked up to him , he told on the forum of "my early yrs doin the kebab shops" "the glory days when men were men " "mc donalds at 6a.m. on his lonesome "and other impressive stories of yore.

but then by pure chance we met in the real world, i was cleanin windows with my first helper and he pulled up in his van [chrome signwriting] and he hopped out and shook me hand , i said i didnt know you worked round here?

replied- i dont, im jus goin round my mums

this was when i started havin my doubts!

Last edited:
Back