Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Refiltering waste ro water ?

marc674

Will switch over to a 4021 unit within the next month and was wondering if it would be possible with the use of a small ro pump to pump the waste water from the 4021 througth my old 300gpd unit ? Wanted to try and cut down on water chucked down the drain. My old 300gpd unit is made up of 2 x 150gpd membranes

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Will switch over to a 4021 unit within the next month and was wondering if it would be possible with the use of a small ro pump to pump the waste water from the 4021 througth my old 300gpd unit ? Wanted to try and cut down on water chucked down the drain. My old 300gpd unit is made up of 2 x 150gpd membranes
Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app
I don't think you could directly couple the 4021's waste to the inlet of your 300gpd r/o as I think your 4021 will produce more waste than the 300gpd will use per minute. (This is at best a guess looking at the amount of waste my 4040 produces - 2 lpm of waste to 2 lpm of pure. A 4021 is half the size.)

The only way you could imho is to send the 4021's waste to a separate storage tank and pump that through the 300gpd r/o at at later date. I doubt the logistics of doing it are worth the effort.

It might be an idea to run your r/o and time how long it takes to fill a liter of pure and waste combined. For that you should be able to calculate the liters per minute the r/o uses.

There was a discussion on another forum some years ago. A poster was also concerned about the cost of waste water he was putting down the drain. He calculated that if he restricted the waste of his 4040 even further than 50/50 the cost saving of water more than made up for the cost of premature membrane failure.

I think he had to change his membrane less than once a year.

Back