Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

LED lights

WCF

Help Support WCF:

David K

i had an idea of putting LED lights in front and back of my van , talked to other wfp cleaners that wanted it too . Because of bad Parking , bike paths / sidewalks etc . AND the fact that , that hose is crossing the sidewalk everyday . Also Like the idea because of my own safety standing in the rear at my reel Rolling it back Out on the busy Streets . Ive mounted Them an started using it! Its great and draws a lot of attention when flashing . Ive put Them inside the top of the windshield , and in the top behind the rear Doors , so visible when working .

Question is : have Any of you guys considered it too ?

No, we just leave the hazard lights flashing when the van is parked in a busy street. If we wanted to save battery current then we could replace the standard bulbs with LED ones.

Never given it much thought tbh as we don't need to use them often where we are.

But having them high up is a good idea as they will be more visible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see , and most get along fine with hazards . I Like toys must admit , but its Also very common for work vehicles over here to Turn on LED lights when blocking the Road with gear and hoses etc. So i thought lets bring it to wfp cleaning too:D ive just connected all lights and switchboard to the battery box of my vanmount . To avoid messing with the vans circuit .

I see , an most get along fine with hazards . I Like toys must admit , but its Also very common for work vehicles over here to Turn on LED lights when blocking the Road with gear and hoses etc. So i though lets bring it to wfp cleaning too:D ive just connected all lights and switchboard to the battery box of my vanmount . To avoid messing with the vans circuit .
I though that's what you had done.

In the last 8 years I have had my van (its 12 years old now) I've had to replace the van's starter battery twice. Believe it or not, the starter battery failed both times I had the flashers on. The first time I was on a hill and bump started it. The second time was in the town's high street and I couldn't do that. I phoned the wife to bring my jumper cables and used her car to start my van. (I do have break-down cover but didn't have the details to hand that day. :hiding:)

Nowadays the car flasher units have an electronic control board that operates the relay at a given rate which determines the flasher rate @Green Pro Clean Ltd .

See page 7 of this Hella Relay info sheet

http://www.hella.com/hella-za/assets/media_global/HASA_Flashers_and_Relays_Brochure_LRes.pdf

So I would guess that components with different values would work differently. (Back in the 1950's when flasher units were mechanical, I can remember the indicators flashing faster when the caravan was hooked up. /emoticons/smile.png

Its not a subject I know much detail about but in the UK we are governed by the E code with regard to vehicle lighting. So a vehicle must conform to this standard to be used on our UK roads.

The E code also covers 'direction indicators' and 'Installation of lighting and light-signalling devices.' So I would imagine that flasher rate would encompass this directive. So I would again presume that any replacement flasher unit you purchased in the UK would only be available for sale as it met those standards.

World Forum for Harmonization of Vehicle Regulations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However, it would appear that some motor cycle flasher units can be adjusted, so I don't know how that fits in with the regulations.

The flasher lights @David K has fitted wouldn't be an issue as they aren't a vehicle fixture. If he secured them to the outside of his vehicle then some job's worthy might pickup on them as being non conforming to regulations.

-

Last edited by a moderator:
Nowadays the car flasher units have an electronic control board that operates the relay at a given rate which determines the flasher rate @Green Pro Clean Ltd .
See page 7 of this Hella Relay info sheet

http://www.hella.com/hella-za/assets/media_global/HASA_Flashers_and_Relays_Brochure_LRes.pdf

So I would guess that components with different values would work differently. (Back in the 1950's when flasher units were mechanical, I can remember the indicators flashing faster when the caravan was hooked up. /emoticons/smile.png

Its not a subject I know much detail about but in the UK we are governed by the E code with regard to vehicle lighting. So a vehicle must conform to this standard to be used on our UK roads.

The E code also covers 'direction indicators' and 'Installation of lighting and light-signalling devices.' So I would imagine that flasher rate would encompass this directive. So I would again presume that any replacement flasher unit you purchased in the UK would only be available for sale as it met those standards.

World Forum for Harmonization of Vehicle Regulations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However, it would appear that some motor cycle flasher units can be adjusted, so I don't know how that fits in with the regulations.

The flasher lights @David K has fitted wouldn't be an issue as they aren't a vehicle fixture. If he secured them to the outside of his vehicle then some job's worthy might pickup on them as being non conforming to regulations.

-
They are mounted inside just under the roof , i Like the concealment , when flashing it dosnt matter if they are Out or inside . Sounds wierd that your van died on you because of that ... Bad battery or generator ..

They are mounted inside just under the roof , i Like the concealment , when flashing it dosnt matter if they are Out or inside . Sounds wierd that your van died on you because of that ... Bad battery or generator ..
Hi David. In both cases it was the battery.

The first time it happened was a battery that was the original one supplied when the van was new. It lasted 8 or 9 years so no complaints there. The battery must have just had enough capacity left to start the van, but the power drawn by the flashers used that up.

The replacement battery was from our local supplier and it lasted 18 months. That was a called a Lion battery. Turns out that they have a reputation for being of poor quality.

The 3rd battery currently in the van appears to be ok, but its only 6 months old so it hasn't had time to prove itself. Its an Oldham battery, which is a name that goes back many years, probably before I was born. But that's no guarantee as these are not made by Oldham but rather are re-branded. Platinum battery manufacturers are the manufacturers of Oldham and also make the Trojan battery which is supposed to be the proverbial mother of all batteries.

We use a separate leisure battery to power our pumps so the van battery never gets drained by our daily window cleaning routine. I also have a combination volt and amp meter gauge in the van monitoring my leisure battery. Whilst driving around I can see what charge the alternator to putting into the leisure battery, so that's a good way to identify if the alternator is working or not.

Unbelievably, in nearly 50 years of motoring I have never to replace or repair an alternator or generator on any vehicle I've driven.

-

jeff brimble uses this when he's working late
12179046_10153751970558593_1057522874_n.jpg
or early,its a roll down sign with leds to alluminate

Actually, that's pretty good. I see he's also got a Wagtail.

Haven't heard much from him for quite a while now.

-

Hi David. In both cases it was the battery.
The first time it happened was a battery that was the original one supplied when the van was new. It lasted 8 or 9 years so no complaints there. The battery must have just had enough capacity left to start the van, but the power drawn by the flashers used that up.

The replacement battery was from our local supplier and it lasted 18 months. That was a called a Lion battery. Turns out that they have a reputation for being of poor quality.

The 3rd battery currently in the van appears to be ok, but its only 6 months old so it hasn't had time to prove itself. Its an Oldham battery, which is a name that goes back many years, probably before I was born. But that's no guarantee as these are not made by Oldham but rather are re-branded. Platinum battery manufacturers are the manufacturers of Oldham and also make the Trojan battery which is supposed to be the proverbial mother of all batteries.

We use a separate leisure battery to power our pumps so the van battery never gets drained by our daily window cleaning routine. I also have a combination volt and amp meter gauge in the van monitoring my leisure battery. Whilst driving around I can see what charge the alternator to putting into the leisure battery, so that's a good way to identify if the alternator is working or not.

Unbelievably, in nearly 50 years of motoring I have never to replace or repair an alternator or generator on any vehicle I've driven.

-
You def know a lot about batteries ! Thanks for the insight ! :thumbsup: I Also do run a leisure for the pumpbox , and i know LED,s dont use Any noteable power but i though it was best to run Them throug the leisure / Pumpbox . 8-9 yrs for. Battery is quite outstanding i must say ! /emoticons/smile.png

yrs ago i did banger racing . the cars were usually fitted with two regular12 volt batteries wired in series so that 24volt was applied to the starter this A-guaranteed the engine cranked over very quickly , nothing worse if youre sat on the track with cars whizzing by you and B- if the engines blown youv got to get off the track , 24 volts will wind a car off the raceway if need be

Back