Dealing With Sub Zero

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by Duxbury, Nov 19, 2013.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Duxbury

Duxbury Member

Hey guys

I have been meaning to ask on here about this for some while but havnt found the time. As the weather is getting colder and this will be my first winter as a window cleaner, I need to prepare for those sub zero nights and wanted to ask what you all do and what you find is best.

So really im asking about running a heater in the van just to keep the temperature up, insulating tanks and pipes, or simply remove the pump and water in the evening and re set up in the morning?

Any tips and ideas would be appreciated.

Anyway, thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. sdrah

sdrah Guest

same question :)
    I thought to through an oil heater inside overnight - that's the easiest way in my opinion

Is a -1 C bad enough to damage the pump ?! probably real problems start at -4 ?!
    thanks

3. Pride Clean

Pride Clean Active Member

Oil filled radiator in the van should suffice.
    Dont need it scorching in the van, just need to keep the temp above freezing.
    Some guys use fan heaters but id suggest oil filled as condensation will drip from the roof.

Another idea is to fit an immersion heater in my van tank this weekend. Switch it on at night and the tank will be like one big radiator :)

If you're struggling for a power source, put your pump on a board, and put some quick release fittings before and after pump. Then you'll be able to bring pump and reel inside at night.
    Only problem with emptying tank of water is if your transfer hose is frozen in the morning then you're stuck. Id put a tap on your tank to isolate the water and drain your pipes

4. Pride Clean

Pride Clean Active Member

5. Duncs

Duncs Grand Master

could you use a halogen heater in your van

6. DanielT

DanielT Active Member

I use an aquarium heater in the tank, but even with an immersion element - connect it to one of these gadgets which monitors the van temp and switches power on or off depending on the temp.

I set it so that if my van goes below 4 degrees, the element gets power, heating the tank until van is between 4 and 6 degrees. Then the element loses power.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140993231980

7. henrybee

henrybee Guest

I use a tube heater for green house put in at night take it out in the morning easi ;-)

8. keir

keir Guru

9. DanielT

DanielT Active Member

Advertisement