Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Getting customers on GoCardless

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Brandon

There's been a lot of talk about GC on the forum recently.

I'm not doing too badly with signing a few customers on but I've had lots of reluctancy and even some saying flat out 'I don't want to create a direct debit'.

My usual line is when it comes to discussing payments options is:

"What a lot of my customers use to pay nowadays is a thing called GoCardless (customer frowns in confusion), it's basically a direct debit but it's not recurring on a set day of the month. You only get charged when I clean your windows. It's really handy because if you're not in I can still clean the windows, leave a ticket and get paid".

*Hands ticket over to customer with website link*

"If you type in the link here on your computer it's all explained on my website and you can sign up by clicking the button".

Customer: "Yeah that sounds great I'll do that".

They never do [emoji849]

What do you say that you find works?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is awkward with existing customers

Any new ones when they ask how to pay only get given that as an option unless they are in to pay me at the time of the clean and then it's cash or gc if they have none

It's sounds too complicated for your customer that's why. This link is it your website page or the actual GoCardless link?

What you need to do is send them a link or have a leaflet made like I did with a mobile number on it so they text you and ask for a link.

You also need to add some "value" to it. GoCardless is perfect for both cleaner and customer but they just don't see it. I would offer a free monthly prize draw for GoCardless customers of a free clean or voucher or something.

Approaching 300 customers now but I decided that any new customer HAS to sign up. If they don't no clean. If they say I will do it tomorrow I just say excellent we will clean the day after.

when you realise there is more customers than cleaners this game is easy peasey.

I've been pondering GC as well moving forwards, but as the original poster described, I can see it being problematic signing people onto it.

I guess the only way is to give it a try.

Do GC take a percentage of each transaction Damo?

Agree with @Damo in this day and age it really is the only way to go. Cardless or cash on the day.

@Brandon I am in the same boat. Just stapled info on it to clean tickets with link to my website....it's now the only option for payment on the site. 24 have signed up now but it'll take some bedding in.

Personally I am happy to revamp my round a lot this summer with a min price of ten quid. This means that when I do my big campaign number 2 I'll replace those that won't move onto cardless and then build from there.

I had stickers printed from eBay. Got about 650 printed for £3/£4 delivered.

My next price increase is going to be very clever, if you sign up to GC you won't go up /emoticons/wink.png

I find when you say Direct Debit some people hear "recurring payment".

I always explain payments are only requested if windows cleaned and remind them their payments are guaranteed by the bank.

New customers are easy to get on go cardless. It's the only payment method I promote. When the customer accepts the quote I say something like "payments will be processed using a system called Go Cardless. It automatically takes payment 3-5 days after the clean has taken place and I will send you the link to sign up shortly"

9/10 they sign up without any further questions. I have had two outright decline, one of which signed up after the first clean the other pays via bacs.

Existing customers isn't so easy but I am slowly shifting them over with persistence. Slow payers will eventually be asked to sign up or will be ditched.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's sounds too complicated for your customer that's why. This link is it your website page or the actual GoCardless link?
What you need to do is send them a link or have a leaflet made like I did with a mobile number on it so they text you and ask for a link.

You also need to add some "value" to it. GoCardless is perfect for both cleaner and customer but they just don't see it. I would offer a free monthly prize draw for GoCardless customers of a free clean or voucher or something.

Approaching 300 customers now but I decided that any new customer HAS to sign up. If they don't no clean. If they say I will do it tomorrow I just say excellent we will clean the day after.

when you realise there is more customers than cleaners this game is easy peasey.
I do a good promo, sign up with GoCardles and get a free clean - Example 4 weekly clean at £18 (13 cleans per year) usual price £234 per year - Less £216 - spread over 13 payments at £16.61 per clean. They all love a discount. You lose out a touch on existing jobs but just factor it in when pricing up future jobs. Never have to collect or chase again, what a dream!

tried getting custys on GC, didnt get even 1, its hard enough to get them to pay online down here

The new ones are easy to get onto this. One reason I think this is, old customers have got used to the methods of old..and wonder why change.

New ones are often very keen to start eh at the start.

It is a very professional tool to use on sign ups,it just says professionalism in my opinion.

For existing,make a call. Continue to collect or wait for bacs;sell it to them as Green highlighted or bin and replace. I know for sure what I am planning there..only wish I had started out with this from day 1. Game changer!

been doing this 8 years, been trying to get most to even pay online, if i didnt collect then the job wouldnt be worth doing, all i seem to be doing is getting custys and dumping them because i get bored of chasing the payments,

plus because of child care i can only work 9-1, i spend my evenings knocking if i aint knocking then collecting,

i collected 900 in feb and jan,

one of my days has gone from 27 to 11 in 3 months, as **** payers,

Last edited:
@Hotwash window cleaning your certainly longer in the game than me by seven years! All I know is that it's possible and that with new it is vastly easier in my experience here. It is all I have as payment on the website,too long this industry has been at the peril of customers it seems

i know its possible, but i live in cornwall and even saying online scares people, i have built rounds dumped, build rounds dumped, getting custys is easy its getting them to pay, as they are use to collecting and if i am collecting i cant get more custys, if i am getting more custys i aint getting paid,

got about 900 worth of good custys a month, the rest is ****, i would be better off on the dole sometimes

Offer gocardless as the only option to new? You will see by mandate of they cancel too..no cleans done if they do etc

have tried that, when i been knocking had GC for last few months, just get i dont do online, in january i decided i wasnt collecting any more, did a whole month got paid about 360

New customers are easy to get on go cardless. It's the only payment method I promote, when the customer accepts the quote I say something like "payments are processed using a system called Go Cardless. It automatically takes payment 3-5 days after the clean has taken place and I will send you the link to sign up shortly" 9/10 I have had two decline that have gone on to pay by bacs.

Existing customers isn't so easy but I am slowly shifting them over by persistence.

i know its possible, but i live in cornwall and even saying online scares people, i have built rounds dumped, build rounds dumped, getting custys is easy its getting them to pay, as they are use to collecting and if i am collecting i cant get more custys, if i am getting more custys i aint getting paid,
got about 900 worth of good custys a month, the rest is ****, i would be better off on the dole sometimes
What area of Cornwall do you cover?

st austell, i have tried it, tried online only, i end up either skint or having to collect or end up dumping custy afer 2 months for non payment

since november i have dumped lost about 500 a months worth of work, either because i cant collect, they wont pay online and custys saying unless you can collect dont do my windows, i have been doing this 8 years

Back