Detailing

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by MillerBHA, Jun 25, 2014.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. MillerBHA

MillerBHA Guest

Chaps could I have a bit of advice
    What is best to use for detailing at moment I detail with scrim but find that about a minute or so later I have to wipe round again with a microfibre cloth as water marks have been left when the detailing with scrim so I seem to have to detail twice which is ok but seems a bit silly
    I know it's probly a stupid ? But it's starting to annoy me a little bit now so should I just use a microfibre but I've watched other windys and they just seem to use scrim to detail and that's it done but if I did just that I would have a water mark around the edges
    Any help appreciated
    Thanks lads
    Tony

Advertisement
  2. Eclipse

Eclipse Well-Known Member

Microsuede

3. cheapncheerful

your scrim has to be bony dry...:)

4. Tuffers

Tuffers Hero

Are you detailing using your finger tip in the scrim? Get the scrim tight on your finger and dig the scrim into the join of glass and frame.

5. cheapncheerful

and if you do it like me....you end up with black marks all over your scrim...lovely:)but i got a bin bag full in da boot...

6. paulio

paulio Active Member

Have you broken in your scrim? Depending on what scrim you buy you have to break it in by boiling it. You can do it in a pot on the stove or I just bung it in the washing machine on a boil wash. Even after boiling it you still need to use it to break it in and get it soft/ready.

7. MillerBHA

MillerBHA Guest

Cheers chaps I use dry scrim maybe the problem is that as I'm still fairly new my squegee technique is still improving and probly leaves the edges a bit untidy
    Would be best to slow that down and that might eliminate the need to detail twice

8. cheapncheerful

yeh paulio meet my cill cloths....until the colour is right...

and when i say dry scrim....it should be really hard dry....

9. MillerBHA

MillerBHA Guest

Thank you paulio I bought it as washed but it is very stiff as it were so thanks I will give it a boil up and use it more,because of the result I've been getting with it I've tended not to use it but opted for a softer towel now you've said that it makes perfect sense to me because my scrim at the moment is a bit like greaseproof paper
    I know what you mean cheapancheerful I've got the black marks too
    Thank you all very much

10. Tuffers

Tuffers Hero

Paulio has a good point. Scrim is useless when it's not broken in, it has a waxy feel when new.

Advertisement