Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Mixing Water

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Rick

I clean drives "Power Wash" summer times and i'm using water fed system all year round for windows.. As most will no from my previous topics im in the process of fitting a 650L tank in my van, but I've always thought I need to change over the tanks when jet washing and using pure water so I bit the bullet and brought two 650L tanks as advised, as much as a ball ache it is swopping between the two tanks for different types of work I.E "Jet Washing / Window Cleaning I thought this is what I had to do.

Now the reason i'm asking for advice once again is because I've just been informed I could use the same tank for both types of work as long as I fully empty NON Purified water before filling it with pure water.

Is this true? does any one use the same tank for both types of work, i'm worried if I use the same tank that's had tap water in it will give me bad results?

I'm relatively new to wfp so no where near as good as the pro's on here and would not like to think im leaving a bad result due to mixing water..

All Best

Rick

Personaly I would not want to put tap water in my pure water van tank as I would end up wasting a lot of pure water to flush the tank out to get it back to 000ppm. Not only that most pressure washing jobs I do I just use a wheelie bin as a buffer tank so have no need to have 2 tanks in my van anyways. Doing it that way I have no hassle in messing about with not having pure water onboard to wfp windows etc.

When I had a trailer mounted tank, I found I had to clean the tank out every few weeks in the summer to get rid of the alge. I cleaned it with a jet of water from the garden hose and a cloth (3 x 125 litre tanks) and rinsed the tanks out a few times with tap water. I then filled the tanks with pure and the water was 000 ppm. Our tap water ppm was 254 at the time.

From my personal experience, I wouldn't have an issue doing it.

To make sure yourself, do a dummy run this weekend and take a reading. If you aren't happy, then you have time to recover the situation. Remember, you can still clean windows perectly well with a tds of 005.

I fill my tank with both - depends on whether I'm doing windows, or just gutters etc.

Any tap water left in the tank gets diluted with the pure, then the DI I have after the tank takes care of the rest. As long as theres no more than 30-40L of tap water left in the tank, then I never have a problem.

Still seems a lot of hassle to me when I just use customers outside tap for pressure washing.

If you want the peace of mind when refilling with pure water after tap then get a 5L (or bigger if you want) DI vessel placed after tank/pump outlet then get a couple of hose splitters & hoselock taps & you can divert the water through or around the DI vessel as preferred.

As above.......

Or......

If your TDS is low from mains supply (like mine is :Image7: ), no need to fill with pure-water, just fill tank with mains water and 'Twin DI' on-demand for WFP.

Cheers for the reply's guys its really appreciated... I'm thinking I should just get a tank fitted for Wfp and think about Pressure Washing next year lol. I will be undertaking a few tests as mentioned though.

Bingo

My TDS is around the 20 mark I think,The DI on demand is a very good idea,, problem is I have everything set up in my shed.. I think I will look into what you said at a later date /emoticons/smile.png

Smurf

I make it known that I have my own water supply so no need to use a customers, Some people don't like me using their water as they are on bill,,, even though they have money to burn. Don't get me wrong, most customers are fine with me using their water and if I do it usually feeds into the tank instead of pressure washer.

Rick what gallon per min pressure washer do you use?

Even if I used a 1000ltr buffer tank that would give me very little pressure washing run time (about an hour). Plus the added hassle carying that amount of water about and having to get a lic for using a standpipe costs would soon mount up.

Rick what gallon per min pressure washer do you use?

Even if I used a 1000ltr buffer tank that would give me very little pressure washing run time (about an hour). Plus the added hassle carying that amount of water about and having to get a lic for using a standpipe costs would soon mount up.
15Ltrs full power.

Back