Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

water tank is making van swey any ideas

WCF

Help Support WCF:

chris70

put 600ltr water tank in back of van but when water moves about when driving it makes van swey its like being on a boat lol iv got tank right up against bulkhead is this right position any ideas cheers

Looks like a standard IBC tank to me in which case it's not baffled so water will sway from one side to the other. You could put in some baffles yourself - sections of drainage pipe perhaps. I also remember reading about someone who tied the bottom of large flower pots together with cable ties and put these inside the tank in order to help prevent the movement of water. I have a 350L wydale tank which has a single baffle and this works fine for me.

What van you got?
@richard123456

What's disagreeable about asking what van the chap has got? :confused:

If it's a small 20 year old banger then there's a strong chance that this is contributing to the van swaying! ........but should be fine in a medium to large solid van such as transit.

Just trying to help the fella out /emoticons/smile.png

Share your thoughts if you still think that's disagreeable bud??

@richard123456
What's disagreeable about asking what van the chap has got? :confused:

If it's a small 20 year old banger then there's a strong chance that this is contributing to the van swaying! ........but should be fine in a medium to large solid van such as transit.

Just trying to help the fella out /emoticons/smile.png

Share your thoughts if you still think that's disagreeable bud??
Sorry I must have clicked it by mistake when I swiped down the on phone screen. I did wonder why that was there.

Sorry I must have clicked it by mistake when I swiped down the on phone screen. I did wonder why that was there.

That's the kinda thing I often do mate - no worries.

Have a good chrimbo /emoticons/smile.png

"I had a 1000l ibc in my transit t280 for window cleaning. baffle issue is easy sorted by dropping 1 meter-ish lengths of 4" pvc pipe with some hoes drilled in them to help break up and disperse the sloshing energy

It will be the worst at half full without them as it has the space to cause massive weight shifts due to sloshing around."

Just found that on another forum.

I am sure you would need a lot of them in there and plenty of holes drilled in each one.

And especially make sure that it is secured. maybe with some 2 tonne weight limit ratchet straps

Last edited by a moderator:
change it for a baffled tank, 5 ton straps from local hydraulics company or scaffolding company, cheap. just type 5 ton ratchet straps in ?????????????

I've just put a 500l baffled tank in my van and it's like being on a boat also I think it's due to the shape (a big cube like yours)

My previous setup was a 250 tank and a few barrels and it's didn't sway at all.

Baffle balls. Another one is drain pipe cut into small pieces

theres no need for a 500 for window cleaning imo but i needed a bigger one for car valeting use a lot more through a pressure washer

cheers for all ya replys guys i have a nissan primastar same as vivaro i av ordered few hundred plastic balls of ebay which av hollow cut outs in them so going to see if they make a differance will these affect my water though

i,m sure you have to have proper baffled tank , you canny take any chance with weight shift, your using your van every day

to big a chance to take i,m using 1000l baffled tank no problems at all

its filled to 800l

I enjoy the swaying in my van. Makes me feel like I'm drink driving without breaking the law /emoticons/biggrin.png

On a more serious note I did read on another forum that bubble wrap in top of the water helps.

I enjoy the swaying in my van. Makes me feel like I'm drink driving without breaking the law /emoticons/biggrin.pngOn a more serious note I did read on another forum that bubble wrap in top of the water helps.
Ha like it yes mate i heard someone say about bubble wrap too

Back