di resin and winter freeze

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by topcats, Jul 15, 2011.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. topcats

topcats Guest

just out of interest how often should I change the resin in my di vessel (I've not yet got a tds meter to test the final result), however my ro has a fixed tds meter which reads 75 going in and 0 coming out. the reason why I ask is some windows (not all ) leave residue spots behind when dried and I thought it may be to do with the resin in the di vessel, incidentally how much resin do I put into an eleven litre vessel?

The other thing is when winter comes and its cold enough to freeze how does everyone prevent their tanks from freezing, not to mention the water in your hose??

Advertisement
  2. Hi, if your water is reading 000 coming out of your RO unit then it should read ooo coming out of your DI unit, if its already reading 000 then there is nothing for the DI unit to filter so it should remain unused, if you are getting some spotting on your windows then i'd say your not cleaning and/or rinsing correctly. If you go to the gardiner website they have a resin calculator to work out when to change your resin, if you check ebay you'll get a TDS meter for under a tenner.

If you have an 11litre DI vessel you will get just short of 11 litres of resin in it as you need to leave space for the inside parts to fit.

As for your water freezing you can buy insulation jackets from DIY stores, get one of them and if its possible for you, you can buy a green house heater and leave it in your van over ***ht which will keep it above freezing however you need to be able to plug it in to a house supply.

As for water freezing in your hose, for around £150 you can buy a water heater that you can link inline to your system thus giving you hot water coming through your hose.

Col :)

3. topcats

topcats Guest

cheers Col, I did think about an insulation jacket but was'nt sure about the hose, will have a look at the greenhouse heaters.

4. nearlyclean

Supplier

In the winter drain the water out of the hoses for storage over ***ht.Drop of Vodka in your water tank and insulation and a small heater as mentioned above.
    As for the spotting,could be technique make sure you clean and rinse the top of the frame really well.Scrub the window really well and rinse,rinse and rinse again.On a first clean I pour a bit of Ecover multi purpose cleaner on the brush clean the frames and then glass repeat this process on all the windows then go back to the first window and clean it like normal not had any problems with spotting or dirty runs using this technique.

5. Hinty

Hinty Well-Known Member

I have used IsoPropanolAlcohol (IPA) for the last few years to stop the water freezing in the hose.

As it is Zero tds it doesn't affect the finish.

I got mine from a local printer - as they use it in their machines. Not cheap - about £50 for 25 Litres - but that lasted for the last 2 winters, so compared to loss of earnings it was well worth it.

Have to keep it cool / dark during the summer though.

I have also used a greenhouse heater to keep the van warm - worked, but everything stinks of parafin - so I changed to oil filled radiator.

I have thought of using an electric blanket - but as I haven't got a van at the moment no need for me - I fill all water / trolley etc in the morning.

Dave

6. kars

kars Guest

NEARLY CLEAN!!!! Wash yer mouth out!!! wasting good vodka on a work issue!! shamefull...lol :)

7. :)That is what Vodka is Russian - doesn't freeze.

If it is really cold drink the Vodka and stay in bed. Works well I find!!!

May be skint for a while but it beats getting cold:D

8. nearlyclean

Supplier

Cheap Vodka from Aldi,buy a couple one for the tank and one to get tanked up LOL

Advertisement