Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Which sat nav?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

♠Winp®oClean♠

I'm after a basic sat nav, don't know much about them as our car has a built in one & I don't drive it that often. I'm looking at a TomTom Start 25 or a Garmin Nuvi 55LM. Both have lifetime free maps & are about the same price. Does anyone have any experience with either of these?

I've got an old TomTom that I bought about 8 years ago. User friendly, and still going strong, can't ask more then that really. I'm sure things have come a long way since though.

my old tomtom still works too but is the size of an old telly. /emoticons/biggrin.png

my old tomtom still works too but is the size of an old telly. /emoticons/biggrin.png
I think I know the one you mean smurf, mine was just slightly smaller than that one as mines about the size of a radio./emoticons/biggrin.png

I have had tomtom since 2007 still works but new ones will not last that long.Very easy to use if maps are free I would go tomtom.

Thanks for the replies. I don't do smart phones (have iphone going to waste in drawer) cannot get on with touch screens. Will go & view these two in the flesh & go from there- don't want anything OTT just basic function.

Cheers.:thumbsup:

I have an old tomtom which has USA maps on it too. We went to Florida and it worked fine until I was driving back to the airport to fly home and it switched itself off. Panic stations ensued :sweating:

Don't get on with touchscreens?arnt all sat navs touchscreen or do they come with a keyboard now lol? I'm kidding

If you've got a iPhone doin nowt just get a iPhone car holder and away you go!typing in a postcode on maps or sat nav is the same

I have a built in sat nav in my car never used it so slow just use phone done in secs

I prefer proper sat nav as my phone needs to have a internet connection and my application is not as clear with where to turn as proper sat nav

If you got a smart phone, get CoPilot GPS application, £20 lifetime payment, turn by turn navigation, takes you to the door. Makes Tom Tom and Garmin look second rate. I have used it to navigate all over UK and France. Simple and very useable.

If you got a smart phone, get CoPilot GPS application, £20 lifetime payment, turn by turn navigation, takes you to the door. Makes Tom Tom and Garmin look second rate. I have used it to navigate all over UK and France. Simple and very useable.
I might get that one as my tomtom is 8 years old and maps are not good anymore

Don't get on with touchscreens?arnt all sat navs touchscreen or do they come with a keyboard now lol? I'm kiddingIf you've got a iPhone doin nowt just get a iPhone car holder and away you go!typing in a postcode on maps or sat nav is the same

I have a built in sat nav in my car never used it so slow just use phone done in secs
Ha Har, yeah, touch screen phones are a big no for me although I do know sat navs are touch screen./emoticons/biggrin.png

I went with the Garmin in the end after a bit of research. It's only £80 & not even to be used for work, it's only for the occasional journey in unfamiliar territory. Since I've had the three seater dispatch I now use the van more for non work related journeys. It won't even get used that often in reality but it gives me a bit more peace of mind when travelling with my young daughter also.:thumbsup:

Ha Har, yeah, touch screen phones are a big no for me although I do know sat navs are touch screen./emoticons/biggrin.png
I went with the Garmin in the end after a bit of research. It's only £80 & not even to be used for work, it's only for the occasional journey in unfamiliar territory. Since I've had the three seater dispatch I now use the van more for non work related journeys. It won't even get used that often in reality but it gives me a bit more peace of mind when travelling with my young daughter also.:thumbsup:
i didn't mean to dislike pal big thumbs and ipads don't mix lol

tomtom start 25 is the one to go for out of your original 2 options. the start 25 has the "speak a verbal warning if you speed " that in itself is a licence saver

few satnavs have this option

tomtom start 25 is the one to go for out of your original 2 options. the start 25 has the "speak a verbal warning if you speed " that in itself is a licence saverfew satnavs have this option
I went for the Garmin. It also has audible and visual warning for speeding plus it's own speed camera database. I'm also a subscriber to "pocketGPSworld" speed camera database which I use on our inbuilt car sat nav. I've downloaded & installed this onto the garmin also so I'll probably end up disabling Garmin's own version as you have to pay to update that particular feature & the PGPSW database is fantastic. You are right about the license saver!!

I went for the Garmin. It also has audible and visual warning for speeding plus it's own speed camera database. I'm also a subscriber to "pocketGPSworld" speed camera database which I use on our inbuilt car sat nav. I've downloaded & installed this onto the garmin also so I'll probably end up disabling Garmin's own version as you have to pay to update that particular feature & the PGPSW database is fantastic. You are right about the license saver!!
does it speak words to warn you of speeding??

Back