Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Water Tank

JDMW

just been getting quotes for a van and there pretty cheap but when i add water tank to the insurance it says ring them up. i rang a few companies up and they want an extra 100-190 quid just for a water tank. is this right?? i didnt think it would cost that much more.. so if i wanted to get warm water system id have to call them and say ello i got a gas bottle in the back for them to wack another 300 ontop.

try a-plan ant,they saved me a few quid over my previous insurer and the water tank doesn't seem to bother them,most insurers don't seem to care about you carrying a gas bottle at all,mention you have a burner or water boiler installed and they should want to see the certificate to say its been installed and tested properly :huh: :huh:

ill forget gas bottles then and just get an emersion heater, put it on a hr before i go out in winter or find another way to power the heater up. ( generator i have, plug it in maybe.

true, i did see a video on youtube where i bloke put a emersion heater in the tank and attached it to a caravan connector and heated his water that way with leccy. ill do that. saves the hassle of carrying gas etc. ive found the van i want, its an 02 peugeot expert, aviva gave me a good quote aswell and they said if i find another quote cheaper than theres they will match it which was pretty good. but that water thank price is a joke. whats the difference with tank or barrels, its still water.

ill forget gas bottles then and just get an emersion heater, put it on a hr before i go out in winter or find another way to power the heater up. ( generator i have, plug it in maybe.
with my gas water heater my insurance didnt go up by anything or they didnt really care that i had one in my van!

could also try adrian flux, they saved me bit money. Comparison sites for vans can never quote, they always say they phone you or you phone them!!!and tell them that water tank is fixed in position, as having the weight of a full tank not secured properly is lot more dangerous than barrells. good luck mate!

true, i did see a video on youtube where i bloke put a emersion heater in the tank and attached it to a caravan connector and heated his water that way with leccy. ill do that. saves the hassle of carrying gas etc. ive found the van i want, its an 02 peugeot expert, aviva gave me a good quote aswell and they said if i find another quote cheaper than theres they will match it which was pretty good. but that water thank price is a joke. whats the difference with tank or barrels, its still water.
if you do fit the immersion heater, just make sure where you plug it in the house that the elecertic is upto carrying all the power that will be used, otherwise if its not up to standard then you could blow fuses or even worse over heat the wires and worst case could cause fire, being in the property maintenance trade for 15 years and did electrics etc you get to know these things, its not as simple as plug it into any socket due to the power it draws!

if you do fit the immersion heater, just make sure where you plug it in the house that the elecertic is upto carrying all the power that will be used, otherwise if its not up to standard then you could blow fuses or even worse over heat the wires and worst case could cause fire, being in the property maintenance trade for 15 years and did electrics etc you get to know these things, its not as simple as plug it into any socket due to the power it draws!
so true,my mate has a lets call it a static sarnie van,he has a mobile van for delivering sarnies and hot food etc,having a coffee the other day (he has got a vivaro thats been written off because his dad drove into a wall and knackered the side door(too expensive to repair) )anyway he went to dissconnect the batteries before they collected it for the salvage quote(its got four big big batteries to power the fridges and lights n stuff)all i heard was a bang and the side of the van was alight!-he'd arced his spanner to earth and melted both live and earth cables-took two extingushers to stop the flames-van well written off now!!!,be so carefull with electrics,its better to ask advice before you do it-worse case scenario if you get a immersion heater ant let someone work out the draw on it and advise size of cable and fuse etc

nah kev ill keep my gennie inside the van and use that to power it. the gennie is 3000watts that should power it easy. its new aswell and unused lol

better still go for the heater-probably cheaper to run and much,much more usefull,i've an l5 heater and only use it in winter,spot on bit of kit though will upgrade this year to one of those silver effect ones with a digital temp reading-tart i am!around £100 on flea-bay for a 8l version

thats cheap kev. im going to have to sell my subaru now. :angry: but work comes first and if i want people to take me serious i need to have a pukka looking van and all the right equipment. if i get 600 for the car id prob take that. not found anything yet, i saw a expert on a 03 plate with 105k miles on the clock but it was a fridge van, plus side was there lined out aint they so any water leaks would be great coz the lining then i thought how hard would it be to remove the fridge stuff. i just gave up on that one. if i knew it was a easy job id prob buy it tomorrow. But its not the case of unbolting the thing off the roof and popping a few grommits in is it lol

ant,think out of the box matey,fridge vans are very well insulated /emoticons/biggrin.png/emoticons/biggrin.png/emoticons/biggrin.png/emoticons/biggrin.png/emoticons/biggrin.png/emoticons/biggrin.png/emoticons/biggrin.png/emoticons/biggrin.png/emoticons/biggrin.png/emoticons/biggrin.png/emoticons/biggrin.png ?? think about the cold now?

how warm could that van be even in minus conditions-plus the fridge could be worth a few bob too to sell on as well

yess but think outside the box. heat inside will stop in there /emoticons/biggrin.png ideal in summer aswell aint it coz it will be cool. also being insulated i think on a cold night it wont even get cold inside from the insulation.

BUT how easy are they to convert to a normal van??

i don't really know about these things but if it has a 12 or 24 volt fridge on board it could be conveterted into a 12 or 24 volt heater?only thinking out aloud ant as all the switches/controls would be in place already

good idea, they seem to be pretty cheap on ebay aswell. why tho, there lined out to insulate them which is ideal and they gotta be water proof encase the stuff melts so it saves me lining the van with water proofing stuff dont it. in the end id of saved money.

good idea, they seem to be pretty cheap on ebay aswell. why tho, there lined out to insulate them which is ideal and they gotta be water proof encase the stuff melts so it saves me lining the van with water proofing stuff dont it. in the end id of saved money.
yeh they should be lined out,maybe with a plastic floor and sides etc,why are they cheap?can't think of any builder/joiner/plasterer/decorator who would even want one of them they want an empty ply lined van to chuck all their stuff in only the fish /meat merchants want them and there won't be many of them around now-might have a look at them now

ideal tho for us i think. we need to keep cold off of the water, take the freeze bit out and pop a small heater in to keep the temp up above 3c. jobs a good un. most of these vans are like 100 miles away, i aint going further than leicester ( 65 miles )

ideal tho for us i think. we need to keep cold off of the water, take the freeze bit out and pop a small heater in to keep the temp up above 3c. jobs a good un. most of these vans are like 100 miles away, i aint going further than leicester ( 65 miles )
i wouldn't want to go to leicester ant /emoticons/smile.png/emoticons/smile.png ,just looked at some on e-bay,they might be a bit of sense in this idea /emoticons/wink.png all fibre glassed lined and steel up the sides /tops and i would have thought well insulated that fan unit in the back,should be a 12 volt one or 24 volts at most the chiller could be changed for a heater or maybe piped to the vans hot water/coolant stystem for added heat at no extra cost :unsure: maybe

fuel might be bad tho, it will strain the battery i think, unless they have 2 batteries and a split relay which is what i need anyway to run a pump /emoticons/smile.png icant seriously see them running on just a plain diesel battery NO WAY lol

If the tank is strapped in = transported goods.

if the tank is bolted in or caged = modification.

Back