Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Sill scratches

WCF

Help Support WCF:

brianbadonde

Does anyone known what is best for removing scratches from sills? A fellow windy from a neighbouring village has asked me to find out. He is a bit older than me and doesnt really do the internet thing lol I have told him to buy a sill brush as when I used a toothbrush style brush I scratched some sills (luckily no one mentioned it to me). He had a customer complain and after checking, sure enough he said he saw scratches which he agrees were probably down to him cleaning sills with the brush. Any idea guys? TIA.

If they are scuff marks from the brush stock they can usually by removed with a magic eraser or cream cleaner. If they are actually scratches then that depends how deep they have gone. Light scratches, I've had customers who swear by 'T' cut (not coloured). As for deep scratches I'm not sure they can be removed.

I've got one older customer who has kept her 20+ year old powdered Ali frames looking like new with 'T' cut and car wax. They do look new. No exaggeration!

Astonish cleaning paste works well and is slightly better than CIF cream which we mainly use.

These scratches are most likely caused by the operators techniques. Holding the brush vertically scrubbing the lower window and frame with the brush head side rubbing against the sill is the chief culprit.

However, we have also seen scratches caused by the moulding machine during manufacturer. These usually run the full width and length of the sill in perfectly straight scratch lines. Scratches caused by the brush head will not run the length of the sill. Just because a customer has had new windows doesn't mean they are perfect.

-

I've got one older customer who has kept her 20+ year old powdered Ali frames looking like new with 'T' cut and car wax. They do look new. No exaggeration!
A few years back we were asked to restore these on a holiday complex and used the same method, worked a treat.

These days I am using 'Unger Rub Out' Not at all cheap but a little goes a very long way, great on UPVC clean ups and superb for hard water staining.

I have seen quite a few marks on the sills I clean the past 2 days just switched to a new Gardiners Ultimate brush not sure if this is the cause never had any issue in the last 8 years of using Gardiners brushes .

And good quality eraser sponges ain't shifting the marks will have to take out astonish paste over the coming weeks .

I always suspect scratch marks are grit (like when you wash the gap between sill and window)

and when we brush the sill we drag the grit along leaving marks.

As i get scratches on sills despite facing the bristles down and bumpers on the edges.

I would just use some pink stuff if a customer complained about their sills. I did a 16 year old white pvc door clean with pink stuff and scrubbing pad. Wet the door with pure and then lightly scrubbed away. 10mins later I washed down with brush and charged a tenner. The woman was over the moon because it looks like a new door. I did the windows after the door and all went well, another happy customer who will tell her neighbours.

I would just use some pink stuff if a customer complained about their sills. I did a 16 year old white pvc door clean with pink stuff and scrubbing pad. Wet the door with pure and then lightly scrubbed away. 10mins later I washed down with brush and charged a tenner. The woman was over the moon because it looks like a new door. I did the windows after the door and all went well, another happy customer who will tell her neighbours.
I intended on doing all our window frames with it, as they have been in around 15 years and the sills have greyed somewhat, they will be bright white after. 

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
ive only ever had one complaint of scratched sills in 11+ years of wfp.....it was on an upper sill....the scratches disappeared with melamine foam and some cream cleaner

Back