Diy Tank Baffle (Baffle Balls) Van Safety

Discussion in 'Tutorials & DIY' started by freerider, Jun 28, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. freerider

freerider Member

If you (like me) bought a large unbaffled tank, then driving when its not full is annoying, not to mention a bit dangerous, I tried thinking of a way to divide the tank to stop me getting sea sick while driving along but fitting it through an 8" hole in the top would be hard.
    But I then found these things called baffle balls on a website, but at £40 for 10 of them I thought this was a bit expensive for a few bits of plastic.

So I made some, very very simple, I just got about 20 plastic plant pots, used tie wraps (cable ties) to stick them together in pairs (base to base), then chucked em in, they float near the surface, water displacement is very minimal (if u get pots with thin walls like i did), and they work very well.

Simple but affective.

I tie wrap in pairs for 2 reasons, first so they r bigger and break the waves (so to speak) better, and secondly so they dont stack themselves while sloshing around (thus making them, less affective).

Try it, totally works, and only costs a few quid!!

FYI, swill pots with DI water before putting in tank, and decent sized pots, I used 2.5l black square ones, the plastic was quite flexible.

Advertisement
  2. rcproperty

rcproperty Hero

sounds a good idea! but in the pics on google the tanks are full with these before any water??

3. freerider

freerider Member

It doesnt matter if the tank is full when u put them in, the water displacement is very minimal.

4. Bigfred

Bigfred Guest

Pieces of guttering down pipes cut to size works very well.

5. rcproperty

rcproperty Hero

i ment the pictures on google show the tank full of the baffle balls before any water is put it!

6. Dodger

Dodger Hero

And how would you hold down 24 of those safely? I'm not so sure being hit in the back of the head with one of those would be good for you seamus.

7. Dodger

Dodger Hero

And I wasn't taking you down by the way, reasonable question for a reasonable statement.

8. rcproperty

rcproperty Hero

if the tanks are professionally fitted they wont move, it will take a great force for them to move.
    25lt water = roughly 25kg.

1000lt = 1tonn
    1tonn = 1000kg
    so

40x25lt containers = 1000kg!

9. rcproperty

rcproperty Hero

just correcting your working out!!!

10. rcproperty

rcproperty Hero

GRIPPAMAX is the system that is used and as seen in this link it works a treat and the tank and water stays in one place!!!
    http://youtu.be/SrbvYwVQWZw

wish you would really get your facts right before you start posting on this site!!!

Advertisement