Do I Need To Scrim Every Window?

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by Malone204, Jan 27, 2013.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Malone204

Malone204 Guest

Just wondering what everyones thoughts are on this.

I scrim almost every window, not always all the way around but i don't like leaving water and soap round the edges.

Some people don't use a scrim at all!

I was thinking that i could save a load of time by not scrimming all the windows but don't want to start getting complaints. On the other hand most of the customer might not even notice!

Any thoughts or tips from past experience

Advertisement
  2. Gushysfella

Gushysfella Active Member

Comes with practice, the better you get at soaping up and blading the less you will need to scrim! GF

3. stevelewis

stevelewis Forum Addict

I have hardly any water on my mop and leave a 5m gap at top and bottom (so only really detail sides) works well for me

4. Belfastcleaning

Belfastcleaning Grand Master

I sometimes find when mopping and leaving a small gap around edges, whenever I blade, you can still see dirt around where I never mopped, even if I pass over twice it dosent remove everything

5. Andy Leett

Andy Leett Member

Wash the whole window, blade it and wipe the edges every time, change your scrim regularly as you will end up leaving dirty lines around the edges. I don't use scrim myself, I use microfiber which I buy from Lee Burbidge from the 'Window Cleaning Magazine'

6. Posh

Posh Hero

Leave a 5mm gap all the way round and push the water into the edges. Hardly any detailing. Also make sure you have a overhang of 2mm on yer rubber

7. adyspurs

adyspurs Guru

Go down the edges at an angle works for me,hardly any detail to clean at all,if I do the scrim over my shoulder is always dry n clean.in my pouch I keep sill and frame cloths.

8. bvwcs

bvwcs Member

Most experienced tradders hardly have to do much detailing. Mainy on sealed units but even then not always. We cut our scrim into three and one or two pieces last all day.

9. adyspurs

adyspurs Guru

well said.

10. GMcleaning

GMcleaning Guru

i barely detail on wooden frames as the wood tends to absorb the water at the edges anyway, but if its a upvc window then you will have to detail no matter what, you can dog-ear your squeegee, work the angles, leave a 5mm gap etc etc, but if you care about the quality of your work then id detail them all

Advertisement