Do you plan to save or make money?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by Richard, Apr 22, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Richard

Richard Forum Addict

Been reading a number of comments from new people coming into window cleaning overly concerning themselves with saving money right at the start of setting up a new business – it doesn’t work this way –

It’s much better to consider where you want to be in the future and then plan from that point.

For example: if you want to window clean part time and want £1,000 per month and you only want to do this for the next 5 years, then you have a plan to turn over £60,000 during this 5 year period. Now you can tackle the expense and plan the setting up of the business

The question is then – what is the approximated investment needed for the return of £60,000?

I will start off by saying - during the five year period you can do this by buying 1 pole and 3 brushes, aprox cost £500

What other equipment is needed and how much?

Richard

Advertisement
  2. harunh

harunh Legend

Im in the process of starting a business within the next fort***ht :) .... Im spending around £6500-7000 on start up... i want to do this a career.... Window cleaners out their start with a few hundred pound by getting ladders and a bucket and squeege... and walk their round.... but i am lucky to have a starting capital of that much at the age of 21 years old.

You can invest a few hundred pound.... and work you way along.... save money then upgrade to a wfp system... this will help you to clean houses quicker and at the same time get more work in the same day.

If you want 1,000 work a month then you got to canvass and work hard..... and that is hard to do when you are part time :( Cos....... window cleaning can be a headache its just like any other business... you will always get that moaning customer... you will always get one that ring you and complains ect.... one will cancel and let you down.... its all ups and downs.... but i suggest you start full time and geta a compact round... then when you got enough work their.... put it all in the same day.... you can clear 1,000 within 2 weeks... or even 1 week :) some people work 10 days a month and earn like 1800 pound because all their work is on the same day.... so its 10 days hard work and after that their free till next month.

I will be going full time.... and work at it everyday... i will always be concentrating on improving my business My aim is to get 100 customers within 3 months.... its achieveable if you stick to it

3. Richard

Richard Forum Addict

Good luck with that harunh
    As you point out the investment money, no matter how small or large is only one side of the coin – you must have a plan; otherwise you think more about trying to save money.

Richard

4. harunh

harunh Legend

Yeah... But most people who start a window cleaning business if they have the money to go staright to wfp they dont hesitate !

WHY DONT THEY HESITATE ?

Because... 99% of window cleaning businesses do not fail...

If you got a business mind and think business and are 100% commited .... and know how to treat your clients then you got a good career ahead of u mate thats the way i see it

5. Paul

Paul Guest

Where did you get the 99% pal I think that's wrong I think more than 1% fail

6. simon

simon Guru

lol a lot more than 1% fail or give up

thing is you cant just GET a compact round it takes time to build & not just months & mebbe buying a bit & taking any jobs that you can untill your earning enough to ditch em

7. mrtaytay

mrtaytay Grand Master

Very true Paul. I suspect many more than 1 percent fail and for all kinds of reasons. I can imagine that lots dont get through those first few months when a full book of customers seems a very long time away. It comes though. You reach a point where, without even trying, you start getting a steady flow of new customers. As soon as people trust you and like you and get to see that you are doing a good job then you are sorted. I would also say that traditional is a good way to start. Its suited me. Low set up costs and lots of people still like their windows doing in the traditional way. I have been at it for 6 months and the books are just about full.

8. Belfastcleaning

Belfastcleaning Grand Master

I started off with £60 ladders from b&q, bought a pouch and bucket on a belt, was givin a mop blade and scrims.. And got a roof rack too lol

9. harunh

harunh Legend

well not 99% lol i mean most suceed..... but yeah i agree its all about dedication

10. Richard

Richard Forum Addict

Putting figures on failure might not be relevant to some and is a bit harsh, if you set out to earn £45k a year and only ever manage £40k, you can say you have failed or you can say I have not been as successful as I have planned for (or wished for).

I think its better to measure your level of success, and progress from that point – there are always 20% of window cleaners who are top end of the earning scale and likewise there are the 20% who are at the bottom end of the scale, and the rest in-between. So there is plenty of scope to move.

Other things have to be considered, the main one’s being time and cost; I know two window cleaners who turnover a similar amount of money, the biggest difference between the two is one works 70 hours per week the other works no more than 35 hours.

Dedication or commitment is great, but all you need is a plan to work with. Acts of god or similar may cause fatal problems, but otherwise success is guaranteed with a detailed plan that is seen through to the end - the level of success depends on the plan you make.

Richard

Advertisement