Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hi all

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Iain jones

Hi my name is Iain, I live in Somerset and I am seriously thinking of starting a window cleaning business.

I did try a window cleaning round about 6 yrs ago but didn't work out to well.

So I may ask some stupid questions so please forgive me if it's been asked 25 pllus times

Welcome to the forums.... Loads of very helpful members, but Im sure most of your questions have already been asked so just do a search and for everything else just ask.

I just think it was just the wrong time really and this time I will make more of an effort to gain customers get professional flyers printed as well as business cards and look more professional like polo shirt etc but need more advice

I just think it was just the wrong time really and this time I will make more of an effort to gain customers get professional flyers printed as well as business cards and look more professional like polo shirt etc but need more advice
dont get professional flyers mate [ homemade/cheapos work far better]

dont try to look professional either [polo shirts] youll just look expensive and nobody wants a smarmy t/t carrying a clipboard. dont buy that clipboard yet neither,not until year 4 anyhow

this is just my opinion , iv seen guys in polos all printed nice, 6 months later theyv given up/ printed workwear spells the end is my experience and not only in window cleaning. i know a fellow had a bus cafe,trickling along nicely then his missus bought them yellow printed Ts . he had gone under within 6 months of the purchase .

. also heard countless tales of folk who buy the pro leaflets on quality paper/card "i put out 2500 with my own hand and got not a sausage " is the usual result

Last edited:
Welcome.

When it comes to business cards, looking professional, logs and all that i dont think it really matters.

You can use your car and wear normal clothes and not have a website or anything and do just as well or spend thousands it really depends on what you feel most comfortable doing. Me personally went with the more "professional" look as you put it but i wouldnt worry about that too much.

The important thing is getting the work and as @boarcity will tell you "you need to have many lines in the water" at all times.

goodluck

Aye defo,don't think it matters whether you canvas in printed gear or not either. It's all in the mindset imo!

I'm not long started,and started with a corsa and ladders on roof. Wasn't ideal,but held my two canisters of water in the boot and done for a good month or two..

Perhaps for commercial work the professional image is more important, but those bigger jobs probably shouldn't be a priority at stage one.

Best of luck iain.

this vid gave me the idea "many lines in the water". it inspired me,his vids really did it for me. unfortunately shortly after making his vids he quit window cleaning

[media]

[/media]

Last edited:
Best advice I got on here was to get out there and mingle with customers, while I was at the time trying to give away free cleans on fliers lol (didn't get one hook from that btw).

Getting out there chapping doors and speaking with the community helps build up local knowledge of where there's work and what the going rate is for x type of house.

In the words of @boarcity what's stopping ya?? Lol

Best advice I got on here was to get out there and mingle with customers, while I was at the time trying to give away free cleans on fliers lol (didn't get one hook from that btw).
Getting out there chapping doors and speaking with the community helps build up local knowledge of where there's work and what the going rate is for x type of house.

In the words of @boarcity what's stopping ya?? Lol
absolutely rite ! mingle in community cafes -theyll usually let you pin up a flyer on the wall .

Where in Somerset you from? Originally from down that way, know windie or 2 down there may be giving up soon, and vould possibly give you a hand starting up

dont get professional flyers mate [ homemade/cheapos work far better]
dont try to look professional either [polo shirts] youll just look expensive and nobody wants a smarmy t/t carrying a clipboard. dont buy that clipboard yet neither,not until year 4 anyhow

this is just my opinion , iv seen guys in polos all printed nice, 6 months later theyv given up/ printed workwear spells the end is my experience and not only in window cleaning. i know a fellow had a bus cafe,trickling along nicely then his missus bought them yellow printed Ts . he had gone under within 6 months of the purchase .

. also heard countless tales of folk who buy the pro leaflets on quality paper/card "i put out 2500 with my own hand and got not a sausage " is the usual result
Erm no. Do buy polo shirts with logo on as it looks professional and helps when out canvassing or working no customer wants to come home and find a guy in a tracksuit cleaning there windows I'm sure they much prefer to someone in a branded uniform on there property. Also I don't think a yellow polo shirt is the reason your pals cafe bus business failed lol what a load of bullsshit.

glad you said that just ordered my polo's very impressed from a local school uniform shop they do embroidery in house £20 notes for a 1 off logo transfer to there format and then £11.75 per t-shirt (plus number on back)

In my area its important to look sharp . IMO a sloppy look , probably means a sloppy Company . All my gear is uniformed Dark blue ( no sign thoug) van is neat clean and signed . Business card is great , as i hand Out a lot . ( 2 today and 1 new customer ) maybe 2 . IMO " look clean , do a great job , be proffesional " :thumbsup: Ive experienced it Can justify a higher Price , as it looks and is a Real business . Not just a " bucket bob " doing part-time beer money . /emoticons/wink.png

Erm no. Do buy polo shirts with logo on as it looks professional and helps when out canvassing or working no customer wants to come home and find a guy in a tracksuit cleaning there windows I'm sure they much prefer to someone in a branded uniform on there property. Also I don't think a yellow polo shirt is the reason your pals cafe bus business failed lol what a load of bullsshit.
well dont come crying on the forum later "the printed gear was my downfall" . i know it sounds silly but every single person who iv known personally [in all walks of life] has failed only once they bought printed garments. its like the Bermuda triangle of printwork, unexplainable. But if you buy the gear and Dont actually wear it on the street , youre safe , how weird is that ?? [ i once bought a stash of Tshirts for my workers,but something told me not to give them out, unexplainable as the printwork was good. i then hoarded them in a drawer for years then one day threw the box of em in the bin. i felt relieved they had gone, not upset, strange or what

I was going to wear a blue polo shirt look clean a tidy, I don't want to look like the beer money outfit type of window cleaners

Last edited by a moderator:
When i started my plan after reading stuff on here was get printed polos etc asap but its growing so quickly without don't think i will bother now. If you do a great job and your polite people want you back and tell there friends and family. I did have a load of flyers made on flyerzone though and use them both canvassing which is such a good way to get custies and also if I'm in a road and got a spare minute Oki drop one through every door and pick up a few more this way. I reckon uniform is more important for commercials or the real high end houses but for my everyday residential rounds no one seems bothered what I wear

I just fail to see how a branded uniform would be the downfall in any business it doesn't make sense

When I set up a few months back the first thing I bought was branded uniform polo and fleece as I just wouldn't feel comfortable knocking on people's doors without any. But each to there own I suppose.

Latest Posts

Back