Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Overdue tank bolted in

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Den

Had my compact 325 bolt in with spreader plates well overdue but now finally done took around 30 minutes only one awkward mount point happy days.

good on you den,and i'm glad for you in so much as you've took steps to make the tank safer should the worst happens.

a young 23 year old was killed a few weeks ago from a strapped in tank that came forward during a collision-the other drivers suffered minor injuries so i'm told

It should have been done a long time ago no excuses I know but now done.

yes read about the young windie such sad news.

its very sad news about this windie,i think to move the safety aspect forward about strapped in tanks forward it would mean a new post about this,

i'm trying to get someone to join the forum so he can advise on loading etc and the effects on a tank should a collision occur,

we all want to be safe lads,but sometimes penny pincing is not worth it,ecspecially when it comes to safety

Would welcome him your friend as safety should be paramount, And yes you are totally right about safety like I said previously no excuses that I left it so long ?and the more I think about it especially after hearing about the young windie that recently died really opens yours eyes. 

its opened mine too den,i'm about to email some dimensions over to a manufacturer regarding my new tank,the posistion of the tank is now changed and i know before its made we'll be having chats about "should the worst happen",i do trust this guy, and i know he over engineeers everything but i want to be safe.

the problem with forums is that people say,a metal bulkhead would be fine in a crash,or five ton straps on a tank is fine,well hey we've lost a young lad who has probably taken advice on forums like this and many others who have said its fine just go with it,

i'll park the comment here.

My tank is only 325l imagine that combined with the weight of tank, battery etc coming towards you honestly dont think and couple of millimetre of bulkhead would stop that to be honest.

I used to be a permit coordinator on the oil rigs so should have acted differently and not left my bolt down installation so long, knowly how deadly it could have been. 

The friend who done it for me is a real clever guy and in my own stupidness I wanted him to do it for me an not anyone else.... I know I could have taken to a garage and got it installed beforehand, but due to  a chain of unfortunately circumstances on both our sides the the job kept getting put off. 

I fitted a second had factory fitted bulkhead to my Citroen Relay. Its very much stronger than the cheap after market accessories that are sold that are the equivalent of tin cans.

But it still doesn't give me licence to drive fast. I always try to apply the training we got in our advanced driver course we took many years ago and try to plan ahead for stupid mistakes other drivers can make. I also leave a much bigger gap between my van and the vehicle in front.

if its against bulkhead it cant build up extra momentum

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

The likely hood is if it wasn't bolted in then it probably wasn't baffled so inertia would have come into effect. Why do people take the chance for a few hundred quid. 

They go to WFP because it's safer than ladders then take risks with unsecured water tanks  :1f61e:

Correct, no bulk head,,,load can move into cab area. Bulk head fitted with load pressed against it strapped down it isn't 'going anywhere. Also allot of folk bang on about using 5 ton ratchet straps to strap in tanks with. They haven't thought about one thing, the lash down points are nowhere near a 5 ton load rating more like 500 kg at best on each one. If a vans payload is 1 Ton, then the lash down points will not be 1 Ton each.

My tank is at the rear off van best use of space and equal payload across booth axles, as I have a few 25l drum against my half size bulkhead.A7C97A1F-7D6D-4F48-BF08-7150CCBE73B8.jpeg

I have a metal bulkhead with tank butted up to it but it is only 220 litres. Have it strapped down and across plus a strip of 2 x 2 butted up to back and front of tank and screwed into floor.

Back