Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Wagtail

WCF

Help Support WCF:

thank you for that in depth an informative reply :Image2:

and how pray tell do you get on with it? what are in your mind the benefits of one?

I have a wagtail.. I use if for a few high shop fronts, and also for high interior windows. Just pop it on the end of a Harris pole. It's good on a pole so you can do the fan technique rather than having to do straight pulls.. Makes thing a bit easier

are there many on here that use them?

I do :Image7: .

thank you for that in depth an informative reply :Image2:
No problem :Image3: ........just my wierd sense of humour mate, you'll get used to me :Image13: .

I use Wagtails most of the time, especially for pole work.

I have a couple of (14"and18")Whirlwinds, 18", 22" and 30" PC Handle Squeegee's and a 18" Wagtail Applicator.

If your going to use any Wagtail on a pole, get youself a 'Wagtail Angle Arm'.....makes a massive difference.

With the 'Angle Arm' on the pole, you can fan all the way down to ground level, if any obstructions in front of the window, you can even fan from the side of the window.

Wouldn't be without my Wagtails....I love-um :Image7: .

IF you are thinking about buying one there is a new one coming out very soon
Are you on about the 'Wagtail Feather' Mark......I bet it will be a while before it comes to Britain...same as with the new Combi.

That's the only problem with Wagtail......they are always bringing out newer updated versions.... a bit annoying when you can't get hold of them over here.

Mr Erken knows how to make his money eh!

I bought a Wagtai, must be 18 months ago, and liked the idea of it, but couldn't get used to it, so only used it now and again. Until January this year, when doing a really big job where the windows were about six foot square, and twenty of them, I used it again and got on well with it, and it did a good job. So I decided to go wagtail, and put my regular stuff aside.

Now I don't want to get too technical, but the way I do my windows now is pretty good, and I found that the Wagtail didn't quite come up to scratch for me. The main problem is that if you are standing in front of a window, it's easy to go straight down the side and get a good edge. But if you're at the top of a ladder and leaning across to do a window it's not so easy to handle. What I found is that if you put pressure on one side to get the rubber into the edge, it wants to turn, and you lose control, and consequently don't get a good edge.

So, after four months I went back to my old system. One of the things I liked about the Wagtail was the light weight and feel compared to a brass squeegee, and that was a surprise when I went back to the brass squeegee. So I have compromised. I have fixed the Wagtail by drilling a hole and inserting a small nut and bolt to keep it rigid, and now it's brilliant!!!

The main problem is that if you are standing in front of a window, it's easy to go straight down the side and get a good edge. But if you're at the top of a ladder and leaning across to do a window it's not so easy to handle. What I found is that if you put pressure on one side to get the rubber into the edge, it wants to turn, and you lose control, and consequently don't get a good edge.
Why not use the wagtail on a pole.

I use a 4m pole with the Wagtail Angle Arm attached and all is fine.

If your stretching-over to do a window, you may be inadvertantly twisting your wrist which will turn then turn the blade.

I can do straight-down pulls when standing to one-side of a window, with pole or by hand......no problem.

Why not use the wagtail on a pole.I use a 4m pole with the Wagtail Angle Arm attached and all is fine.

If your stretching-over to do a window, you may be inadvertantly twisting your wrist which will turn then turn the blade.

I can do straight-down pulls when standing to one-side of a window, with pole or by hand......no problem.
It's difficult to answer your question, but can I ask you: do you do ALL you upstairs windows with a pole?

It's difficult to answer your question, but can I ask you: do you do ALL you upstairs windows with a pole?
Depends on the job realy......if not using WFP, then yeah.......it'll be the Wagtails on the pole mostly.

There's always the odd job which I can't get a good enough finish with the Wagtails, so then it's out with the ladders.

I must add, that most of our work even though high, it's mostly big commercial stuff....so maybe a little easier using the waggy's on the pole, compared to smaller domestic windows.... just a thought.

Depends on the job realy......if not using WFP, then yeah.......it'll be the Wagtails on the pole mostly.There's always the odd job which I can't get a good enough finish with the Wagtails, so then it's out with the ladders.

I must add, that most of our work even though high, it's mostly big commercial stuff....so maybe a little easier using the waggy's on the pole, compared to smaller domestic windows.... just a thought.
OK. I understand now. I don't wish to be rude or offensive in any way, but you are doing the same as me, using the Wagtail now and again, but I was pointing out that, for me, it wasn't good enough when using it full time. With an ordinary squeegee, dog-eared, and trying to avoid detailing, you have to apply pressure in order to get into the edge, and this is where the Wagtail fails, because in applying this pressure causes it to want to turn.
I'm a trad window cleaner and I use ladders and always will, I like to be up close to the job, and would not use poles, except for extra-ordinary situations of which I have two, and then it's only a short pole.

Back