Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Unger 14 inch soft blades

WCF

Help Support WCF:

fast_muchly

Hi All,

Been using these ever since I started all year round summer and winter .And to be honest I don't know wether its me not having a good cleaning motion or something wrong with the blades.When I put a new blade in its great, no little lines on window and don't have to do extra detailing.

I store the blade in the car and o.k sometimes it might rest on something bending the rubber but recently I have taken it out and lay it flat below the windscreen in the car just to make sure its flat and still after a short while I get a kink in the rubber near the middle.I then use the opposite side and quite often this works for a short time before the same happens again.

The bucket on the belt I use is the unger ninja one.

I store all my rubbers in the box they come in.

Has anyone else come across this problem as its a pain in the back side.How long do your rubbers last in general before you change them.

I very rarely use trad gear now so not really the best person to answer but have you checked by using another channel that it might be the channel causing the issue not the rubber. Does the same thing happen when you use a hard rubber aswell in that channel?

I normally change the rubber when the corners start to wear and you can always cut the ends off and put the rubber in a smaller channel. Don't forget that you can spin the rubber round too and use the other side. This applies to blades too in most cases. Check that your channel is straight and have a go at dog earing (video's on You tube will show you how to do this)... On average I clean on a 6 - 8 week cycle. 6 weeks in the summer and 7-8 weeks in the Winter, it will take me longer to get round in the Winter due to weather, shorter days etc. I normally change my rubber ever 6 weeks or so. In the summer I tend to change my rubber a little more often. You only need to take one spare rubber out with you, just in case you get a kink it the rubber and even sometimes with a kink it will only kink one side of the rubber. Get as much use as you can out of your rubber. because like everything else. It all add up!... I use a Ettore "Quick Release Handle" Which is great. Although, every now and then the nuts need a slight tighten.... Just keep messing about and your find the solution to the prob... Not sure of anyones technique, But, when squeegee-ing try keeping you handle closer to the window!..Hope this helps...

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the same stuff boab included I usually get 3 days out of a rubber both sides but got less before I started putting flash bright and shine in my bucket along with ecover, but I am heavy handed, but technique has a bit to do with it too I think, iI try to keep the leading edge leaning forward as you see on you tube clips.

try the unger hard rubber lasts longer takes takes wee bit more abuse less detailing and it suits a heavy hand like I have:D

Hi All,
Been using these ever since I started all year round summer and winter .And to be honest I don't know wether its me not having a good cleaning motion or something wrong with the blades.When I put a new blade in its great, no little lines on window and don't have to do extra detailing.

I store the blade in the car and o.k sometimes it might rest on something bending the rubber but recently I have taken it out and lay it flat below the windscreen in the car just to make sure its flat and still after a short while I get a kink in the rubber near the middle.I then use the opposite side and quite often this works for a short time before the same happens again.

The bucket on the belt I use is the unger ninja one.

I store all my rubbers in the box they come in.

Has anyone else come across this problem as its a pain in the back side.How long do your rubbers last in general before you change them.
This is someting that I found quite common, especially while leaving my squeegees in my BOAB. I had to fix rubber on to the BOAB wherever the squeegee rested. That sorted it out. I now use a Wagtail as my main blade, and as I don't leave it in the BOAB when I take it off to move places, I have one of these rectangular flat trays that you put plant pots on and it lays in that. I use Pulex and Unger hard and soft, and I never have any problems now. I can send a pic via email of my BOAB if you want.

I bought some rubber slots that you can put in the boab. They slot in nicely & protect yer rubber as you take the squeegee in & out. Think I got them from wcw. Would think bike handle rubbers would do the same. The plastic on the boab can get sharp edges.

Thanks for the tip , what are the hard rubbers like in cold weather norm ?
as rugbywolf says was out today van said 3deg and had no probs

I know that they say soft for colder and hard for warmer but suits me ok cold days and rugbywolf must suit him

Think its try yourself and see if it suits your technique

"guy's said:
as rugbywolf says was out today van said 3deg and had no probsI know that they say soft for colder and hard for warmer but suits me ok cold days and rugbywolf must suit him

Think its try yourself and see if it suits your technique
Thanks guys I'll give them a go

I got to admit I use both hard & soft & at all different times of the year & find no difference.

Maybe I'm just good:p:D:rolleyes:/emoticons/wink.png

I got to admit I use both hard & soft & at all different times of the year & find no difference.
Maybe I'm just good:p:D:rolleyes:/emoticons/wink.png
are ya a ninja windy Posh?

w

Do you mean do I use ninja or am I fast.Answer to first is no I'm a unger man & 2nd not really fast just fussy.
when starting out I worked with a guy who kept me right and helped me learn trad cleaning

any probs I had helped me sort. I said to him one day your a ninja window cleaner as he was the dogs boll-x

i tend to use hard rubber im a bit heavy handed. I picked up one of them ninja Squeegees and i thought they were a bit on the heavy side.

Latest Posts

Back