Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Modern leaded windows,which brush

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Dabber

Hi 

got my first clean tomorrow on a large house with modern double glazed leaded Windows.

i have two brushes at the moment a gardiners ultimate brush medium and a gardiners sill brush medium with mixed bristles.Which brush would be best for the leaded Windows.Ive read a number of related threads on here which have left me more confused.Any help advice appreciated .

cheers

You should get a flock brush for future cleans, I use the ultimate flock for leaded window, out of the two brushes you have I probably would your ultimate even though I don’t have either of them brushes.

Any monofilament bristles can present a cosiderable force when stricking lead on modern windows at 90°, especially when scrubbing hard. On older well weathered windows it can get under the lead and lift it off especially if it has already started to part company with the glass.

A flocked or soft brush would therefore be my recomendation.

On diamond patterned leaded windows I use an up and down scrubbing motion and on georgian patterned lead (square or oblong) I use a circular or scrubbing motion. You will know if you've got it wrong as your brush will bounce and you will feel it.

Back