Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Collins Water Products RO 40/40

WCF

Help Support WCF:

PureShine

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have use colins water products for a long while, I currently have the 450 system. Hes a really nice guy and always happy to help always arrives very promptly. He did mention he was bringing a bitter system out, so looks like this is the one. I would happily recommend his products

bigger system that should say :1f602:

Have been looking about for an RO system as im going through resin at ridiculous rates at 280ppm.

I was going to buy a little 400/450gpd system at around £200 but this system in the link looks much better at £379. Am I missing something or is this a decent deal?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HID-4040-4-x-40-HIGH-FLOW-REVERSE-OSMOSIS-RO-MEMBRANE-WINDOW-CLEANING-SYSTEM-/282512857639?hash=item41c7141a27:g:JmwAAOSw8lpZNx49

Any help or thoughts appreciated. Cheers!

Why not PM @Eviestevieand ask him how his is performing? He bought one of the first ones. He lives in the Chesterfield area and has high water pressure. His initial response was favourable.

I made my views on this thread regarding their membranes and still stick with those comments.

https://windowcleaningforums.co.uk/topic/19726-ro-4040/

Are these membranes HF4 or HF5 spec? HF4 for high pressure are much cheaper that HF5 for lower water pressure.

In the worst case scenario you can at least replace the prefilters and the membrane with recognised quality products at a later date. At the tail end of the day you get what you pay for.

I would rather buy an Axeon membrane (I've got a HF5 Axeon in my 4040) manufactured in the USA than a membrane made in China.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
@spruce i havent got an RO at the moment but desperately need one. I havent got around 1k at the moment for a great one. Was going to settle for the 400gpd but for the bit extra cost thst i could afford seen the 4040. I dont expect it to last ages as i believe you get what you pay for. Just in this case I cant afford to pay for a great system. Do you think the collins water 4040 system will greatly outdo the 400gpd?

@spruce i havent got an RO at the moment but desperately need one. I havent got around 1k at the moment for a great one. Was going to settle for the 400gpd but for the bit extra cost thst i could afford seen the 4040. I dont expect it to last ages as i believe you get what you pay for. Just in this case I cant afford to pay for a great system. Do you think the collins water 4040 system will greatly outdo the 400gpd?

Yes it will. The difference is unbelievable.

We had a 450gpd for 6 years and just managed with supplying water for myself and son. We replaced that about 4 years ago with a 4040. I was gobsmacked at how fast the 4040 worked in comparison. I can't remember how much water the 450gpd produced an hour, but it took between 28 and 34 hours to fill a 1000 liter IBC tank. The 4040 with HF5 Aexon membrane produces 2lpm of pure water so would fill that same IBC tank in around 8 hours. 

We have plenty of water now.

If I had to make the choice I would go for the 4040 tbh. Its going to be better than having nothing at all. It just won't be as efficient as a better quality membrane.

I will keep the axeon membrane in mind for when i do have extra funds available. Good to know the 4040 although its a cheaper version will still better the 400gpd. Well you've help me make up my mind so il go for the 4040. Hopefully i can set it up properly. Cheers @spruce

I will keep the axeon membrane in mind for when i do have extra funds available. Good to know the 4040 although its a cheaper version will still better the 400gpd. Well you've help me make up my mind so il go for the 4040. Hopefully i can set it up properly. Cheers @spruce

Hopefully they will give you step by step written instructions on how to do it.

I've got this system same as eviestevie the 4 stage 40/40 3 pre filters and the membrane. I have terribly low pressure so currently mine is coming down from 300ppm to between 011-013, I havnt gone for a booster pump because i knew lee @ Collins was sourcing some low pressure membranes which is what I shall go for when the time comes to replace it, but if I was to use a booster pump now I would see an even bigger drop in ppm but as I have a 25ltr polishing resin bottle in my van it easily finishes it off to 000ppm. I would never go back to twin di now with this r/o its like making water for free now no more emptying and refilling vessels !

I've got this system same as eviestevie the 4 stage 40/40 3 pre filters and the membrane. I have terribly low pressure so currently mine is coming down from 300ppm to between 011-013, I havnt gone for a booster pump because i knew lee @ Collins was sourcing some low pressure membranes which is what I shall go for when the time comes to replace it, but if I was to use a booster pump now I would see an even bigger drop in ppm but as I have a 25ltr polishing resin bottle in my van it easily finishes it off to 000ppm. I would never go back to twin di now with this r/o its like making water for free now no more emptying and refilling vessels !
Sounds good @clearview. I have decent water pressure here so hopefully wont need a booster pump. Cant be dealing with a £70 bag of resin every 10 days. Drives me mad. Resin eats my profit so this RO has to be sorted. How long is it taking you to do 1000 litres of pure? Also what kind of ratio are you getting?

I havnt really timed it properly as with my working arrangements I can leave the van plumbed up making pure for as long as I need to, but in all honesty even without a booster I'm making water nearly as fast as I was with twin di just like you not costing me £70 and the agro of changing resin every fortnight!, I run a 60/40 split mate and I aways flush the system for up to 5 minutes before each use but the instructions provided explain how to do this, hope that helps. 

Little pic pic of mine set up

IMG_3503.JPG

Hi  my filter has performed perfect carnt remember original post but it's been about 8 month and I'm still on original resin,only had to change prefilters.still getting 4ppm sometimes 5ppm out of ro so well chuffed

That's it lol like said I was prepared to change the ro filter if need be but so far everything still good 

Replacement filters cost me £12 and think when I change the membrane whenever that be are about 130

You have water pressure that's higher than the majority of us. That will make a difference in the membranes efficiency that most of us won't achieve with the same membrane.

Just thought id give an update. Ordered the collins 4040 RO which arrived on Friday, set it up earlier and just finished filling my tank. It took 1 hour 51 mins to completly fill my 350L tank. Water was 228ppm earlier and now the pure has came out at 13ppm. I havent ran it through DI yet. Im happy as can be with this personally but not very clued up still with it all. So im wondering wether any of you guys know if these times and ppm are about right? Any input appreciated. Cheers

You must have some half decent water pressure I take it, numbers seem about the same as mine, what sort of waste to pure ratio you using ?
I seen on here people saying try for around 60/40 so i done that. Waste being 60. I dont even know what water pressure as I didnt bother to buy one of the things to test it with. Iv just moved into a new house and when viewing it i actually turned the tap on in the garden and knew the pressure was good just by that. Is there a way to get ppm even lower than this by adjusting settings?

I would let the membrane settle down a bit but you could try closing the waste gate valve slightly until you get to about 50 50 and see if this improves your rejection rate. Your are running at 94% efficiency atm.

By doing this i will pure faster and at a lower ppm?

You will produce water faster but not necessarily will the water be at a better ppm. What you are trying to do is find the sweet spot that your r/o works best at given your water pressure and flow from the your tap.

It could be that your pure is worse so you might open the valve slightly to get more waste. If I close my waste valve so I'm producing water at a ratio of 40 waste to 60 pure then my pure tds reading goes up a little. At 50/50 I get my best reading. For me the reading slightly rises at 60 waste to 40 pure as I'm reducing the pressure off the membranes making the r/o less efficient.

As we have noted on another thread, you got your r/o at a very good price. You get what you pay for. Collins uses a Chinese manufactured membrane. On one of the spec sheets they report that the membrane's rejection rate can be anywhere between 90 and 99%. Axeon is a membrane manufactured in the States and much more expensive that the HiD membranes Collins sells. But its also more efficient.

About 8 months ago Collins told another purchaser on here that they were trying to source a low pressure membrane. As they only have one in stock it looks like they haven't done that yet.

The Axeon membrane I have in my system is an HF5 low pressure membrane and is running at a rejection rate of 98% after 4 1/2 years at a water pressure of 50psi. Its performed like this right out of the box.

But I would leave the membrane for a week or so the way it is and then try tweaking it once it has settled done and bedded in. It could well improve by itself over the next week.

Back