Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What is with this forum lately

Smurf

What is with this forum lately as can't anyone post something without someone making a snide remark and/or wanting to start an argument?

I’m all for a bit of friendly banter but seems to be getting way out of hand by a few.

always the same towards the end of term
Overtired.:rolleyes:

@Smurf Sometimes this place can be a little too 'soft and fluffy', even the trolls and spammers used to get welcomed. I'd rather people spoke their mind instead of being fake. We're all big boys.

Yes Tol, we are, with the exception of Shazzy whom I suspect may be female. I honestly think the biggest downside of any forum is the anonymity, people can run their mouths and say pretty much anything with balls the size of coconuts as they are well hidden behind a screen.

Of course when you can not look someone in the eye and see their reaction to you words and behavior it's a lot easier to be a total w*nker sometimes without even realizing as you can not see the tell tale signs change in their expressions.

I personally go by the rule of I would not say something on here (or any forum) that I would not say to you sat across a table in a pub.

Trolls will always be there and there will always be s*it tossed about a forum. If you can't take it don't dish it and stay out. But as for topic starter, Mr Smurf, with some 10'000 posts more than anyone else can you truly say all of those have been friendly and of educational value?

Hmmmmmmmmm...................................

What is with this forum lately as can't anyone post something without someone making a snide remark and/or wanting to start an argument?
I’m all for a bit of friendly banter but seems to be getting way out of hand by a few.
It's open forum and people like to speak there mind!sometimes it isn't right but to them maybe it is!where all,different and from different backgrounds!!!if we all was the same it would be boring world and debates would be dead!

Now I'm not having a go smurf but a few week back we had a debate about my van being at the garage having my new system fitted which 3 weeks later the van and system was at the garage in bits!nearly costing me new contracts

I commented that I wasn't going to pay and you replied saying smugly I'm not a nice person! That was your view

What I'm getting at sometimes people read a post quickly type a reply without thinking or just the view which there entitled to!

The thread surf is it the one about the canvasser?

Doesnt bother me that much as long as they can take as good as they get.

I must admit, i like the smurf jokery you contribute and i like to play with it, I like the regulars on here, you are a good bunch and you are the ones i listen to, the odd snide remark is noticable but it only reinforces the fact that other regular members are better decent folk worth taking the time to comment upon

at the end of the day you canny beat a bit of banternothing is taken to serious, its gd watching our fellow brothers getting wound up
These are my views and not those of anyone else.

A bit of banter is fine but things have been getting to the level that has caused offence. I have had members sending me private messages bringing my attention to these posts.

I think posters should re-read their posts before hitting 'Post Reply' and ask themselves whether a reader will be offended. Not just the person it is attended for but any reader who may stumble across the forum via a search engine. We all know that swear words are not acceptable on the forum, but recently the use of slang style swear words are being used to avoid detection. Why does the poster need to swear to make his/her point I wonder? I find this unnecessary and annoying.

These are my views and not those of anyone else.
A bit of banter is fine but things have been getting to the level that has caused offence. I have had members sending me private messages bringing my attention to these posts.

I think posters should re-read their posts before hitting 'Post Reply' and ask themselves whether a reader will be offended. Not just the person it is attended for but any reader who may stumble across the forum via a search engine. We all know that swear words are not acceptable on the forum, but recently the use of slang style swear words are being used to avoid detection. Why does the poster need to swear to make his/her point I wonder? I find this unnecessary and annoying.
the doylums who abuse our forum with there lets say **** will leave and soon be forgotten about, they never stay

I have noticed that the tone has headed south at times, but generally good overall, maybe some tact is required

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tact

If Im watching a rugby game, a rough game usually, and players start playing dirty e.g. stamping on one another, I switch it off, as cant be bothered with the nastiness, no need.

If you cant say nothin nice, dont say nuthin

[media]

[/media]
I blame the eclipse, men have to blame something dont they or is it the homebrew loosening the tongue:confused:

Everyones different, and I know I'm guilty of most of the things mentioned, the 'FAO Tolishapurd' thread springs to mind. But I find the thought of a grown man private messaging a moderator to complain, more offensive then anything thats ever been said on the open forums. If someone has an issue, just bring it up in the thread and sort it out with the parties involved, don't run off and tell tales. Of course there are exceptional circumstances so I am speaking generally here. One problem I have seen in the past is where things get so soft that people become over sensitive, such as the author of the said FAO thread. He even miss quoted me and added his own punctuation to make what I said sound even worse then it was intended. We're all a mixed bag of apples here, and on the whole everyone gets on and has a laugh, that in itself is an achievement.

Everyones different, and I know I'm guilty of most of the things mentioned, the 'FAO Tolishapurd' thread springs to mind. But I find the thought of a grown man private messaging a moderator to complain, more offensive then anything thats ever been said on the open forums. If someone has an issue, just bring it up in the thread and sort it out with the parties involved, don't run off and tell tales. Of course there are exceptional circumstances so I am speaking generally here. One problem I have seen in the past is where things get so soft that people become over sensitive, such as the author of the said FAO thread. He even miss quoted me and added his own punctuation to make what I said sound even worse then it was intended. We're all a mixed bag of apples here, and on the whole everyone gets on and has a laugh, that in itself is an achievement.
I just wanted to make it clear that the posters involved in the thread do not contact me. Other members who were reading the thread and were concerned over personal remarks being made, did.

I did mean offence as i thought it was another chancer doing a bit of free advertising from reading his first post

Since explaining himself inrealised i was in the wrong and he was a genuine member and promptly appologised

You know i am usually not that kind of person and the regulars on here aren't either

I do admit i am guilty of speaking my mind some times as we all do especially when you get the same old " let's run down the trad guys" routine which i do react to as it is unnecessary

I agree @daveyboy1 I hate the trad/water fed pole debates. There is no gain from putting down one method over the other. I love using wfp but I have to trad too. I also enjoy tradding on the odd times I do it. I even have one house that I have to rag. All the methods should be seen as additional tools to do the job.

I trad through personal preference as i have done it for quarter of a century and still enjoy it

I didn't appreciate the other day when discussing doing top frames or not being told " you're trad anyway so you don't count"

I know it was on wfp section but i was saying that he could always trad the first clean or wipe them trad style to get em clean

That sort of animosity between different methods is unnecessary and my chosen method has no bearing on whether you should clean them or not to do a good job

I know a wfp guy who always does a trad first clean before moving back to wfp.

It is unwise to put down trad method to customers if you are wfp. What if they asked for the insides to be done. You than look a bit foolish.

Same as if you trad and put down wfp. There is a trad guy in my village who goes around saying wfp doesn't work etc etc. He and I have had several friendly chats about it. Last year he came to me and asked if I could direct him through the wfp route as if he didn't use it, he would loose some very nice commercial properties. (They had banned ladders apparently)

He now uses a backpack and pole on his commercial work. I asked him recently if he is going to convert everyone and get a van mount. He said he would like to but he has told his customers that wfp is rubbish so he can't.

Back