Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

new ladders

Very good mate. I really wish you lived closer to try out my set of pointer ladders, I'm convinced you won't go back. Shame they are so pricey new though.

I have both pointer and regular and always reach for the pointers first.
I have a large percentage of my houses that I couldn't do without the pointers, at least not as efficiently anyway.

I'm seriously considering buying a pointer, but the excessive price is putting me off am I right in thinking on a high Victorian house with sash you could put pointer into side of frame just above bottom sash ?

I'm a pointer convert too! Find it very practical and I can reach a lot of windows much easier than off standard ladders... Being able to pitch it off the edge of the frame on taller windows and being able to clean them in one hit makes life a lot easier... The only problem I have is the way they splay out at the bottom, I found myself tripping over it, so took a bit of getting used to!

Until reading this thread I never even considered buying pointer ladders. I have an A ladder I use for the bottoms which is great.

I was about to buy a new pair of clow ladders. But are pointers really that good? Can someone please point out the pros and cons please?

What size would be best to go for. I use double 11 (feet) ladders just now

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 9681 are these the ones people talking about ,thinking of getting myself some , also couldn't resist this .....View attachment 9682
I think so. They are the "Ramsay" ladders. Done my homework and the cheapest you can get these for are £250 inc vat and delivery. That's from midland ladders for the 3.5m closed

For some reason, WCW and the window cleaning centre are charging over £300 for what looks like the same ladder.

Also I'd be seriously tempted to get these ladders with those articulated swinging feet that have a base like a football boot.

I think for normal ladders, "clow" from ladders direct are the best. But I think I will go for the double A ladder.

I think so. They are the "Ramsay" ladders. Done my homework and the cheapest you can get these for are £250 inc vat and delivery. That's from midland ladders for the 3.5m closed
For some reason, WCW and the window cleaning centre are charging over £300 for what looks like the same ladder.

Also I'd be seriously tempted to get these ladders with those articulated swinging feet that have a base like a football boot.

I think for normal ladders, "clow" from ladders direct are the best. But I think I will go for the double A ladder.
watch out if you buy Aframe from window clean centre. i happened to be in their shop last year and i noticed the pointer in the store didnt have splayed legs. that would make it a very dangerous ladder

For 25 years I've used both A frame & standard ladders.

Personally i reach for standard every time unless its large glass and i need a A frame to nestle on a glazing bar or something.

For me, the D rungs you get on standard ladders are sooooo much more comfortable then the serrated round rungs on A ladders, ( my feet are pounding after a day on an A ladder) standard ladders usually come with swivel feet which ensures I've got a lot of ground contact, coupled with the fact that a standard ladder doesn't need to be as long as an A ladder to reach the same height and thus means its lighter.

Obviously each to their own - some swear by A, others by standard.

My standard ladders are always purchased from 'Midland ladders' - they're the cheapest you can find for the quality, delivery is included and they come with swivel feel already fitted /emoticons/smile.png

(if you do need an 'A' ladder Ackroyd, Midland sell the 3.5m for £250 inclusive of both VAT and delivery)

watch out if you buy Aframe from window clean centre. i happened to be in their shop last year and i noticed the pointer in the store didnt have splayed legs. that would make it a very dangerous ladder
The ones from midland ladders do have splayed feet. I'm still undecided on whether to get these or just a normal extension ladder. I would probably get spikes and attach them to which ever ladder I buy. Where do you get your spikes from?

People say that rubber is no good in the wet. I have spikes on my extension ladders just now and feet on my A ladder. But I have never had my A ladder slip out on me. For the first time in years I was going to go back to feet for my extension ladders. Since I think it might be safer.

But reading some of the comments on this forum from years ago, it seems that feet are not safe at all when it is wet.

Are these the ones you use

Ground spikes | ZARGES

The ones from midland ladders do have splayed feet. I'm still undecided on whether to get these or just a normal extension ladder. I would probably get spikes and attach them to which ever ladder I buy. Where do you get your spikes from?People say that rubber is no good in the wet. I have spikes on my extension ladders just now and feet on my A ladder. But I have never had my A ladder slip out on me. For the first time in years I was going to go back to feet for my extension ladders. Since I think it might be safer.

But reading some of the comments on this forum from years ago, it seems that feet are not safe at all when it is wet.

Are these the ones you use

Ground spikes | ZARGES
the spikes i use are made by Hailo, iv not seen these on sale recently. years ago on cleanitup forum i saw excellent spikes, these were a simple metal strip [of hardened steel] that the poster had an engineering shop make up for him. 6inch x 3/4x 1/4 with 2 drilled mounting holes . on Ebay from time to time spikes similar to these are on sale

iv noticed that Aframers often have rubber feet whereas nearly all extension ladders have hard plastic. after my own fall where rubber [mats] were to blame i bleve this is a design flaw especially on big ladders where the risk of slip out is higher . those rubber feet will pick up greasy dirt along the way one day and with no warning theyll slide . i swear by my spikes and theyre bolted on permanently.many times iv come across a slippy surface ,i just carefully put the spike into a crack or jutting edge and then its as safe as you can get

Last edited:
having now used my new LYTES elt230 for a fortnight or so [that replaced my previous exact same model that were getting tired] iv a few things to report. theyre made a little different. for starters they are heavier , noticeably so. my workers dont like this

one plus however is that the stiles are perfectly smooth ,whereas previous model had a thin raised line running the full length of the stile,this could catch your fingers and cut .

another minor downer is that the yellow information warning sticker on the ladder stiles [with correct angle etc] has poor glue. one has already come off, im going to have to get it reglued back on , without it in place i might be liable

Last edited:
Back