Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Transit connect owners

WCF

Help Support WCF:

steve hawing

I have a mk1 connect 1.8tddi and i dont seem to have as much power as i should, i know they are a quick van but a mate has the exact same one and took it for a spin this evening and it way quicker and it has no mods done to it

I scanned it and no stored codes, checked for split pipes and none, it is wrecking my hed coz when im fully loaded up for the day its like a snail

Anyone ever had similar issue or even advise what i should look for?

Thanks

I have 2 t220s

both are tddi with 500ltr tanks

they both match each other for speed and pulling power and would rate my 2 as good as a car to drive.

sounds like youve got issues id be looking at turbo.

View attachment 6651

I defo dont get as much lift from the turbo as my mates van, we actually raced side by side, taking off was kinda ok but then he gradually just leaves me for dust

If it is the turbo what can i do is there a fix for it bar replacing it

How would i know for sure its the turbo can i test it someway?

When i rev it in neutral it flies up the revs but when in gear and moving its as if something is restricting it from letting the power out

You would be able to notice if the turbo isn't kicking in as it should, if you have noticed a difference then it's more than likely the turbo. Does it sound at all different when it's kicking in

No theres no weird noises from it, just seems to take a bit longer to get up to speed i suppose, i bought this from a mate who had it for about 5 years he says its always been like that, its only a 75hp engine maybe im expecting to much from it am i?

Yea I would say you are especially with a 500ltr tank, that is half a ton at the end of the day lol, my 2.0 vivaro feels dead with ladders and 250 ltr tank lol, just hoak the sh*t out of it lol

Transit tddi are to be honest a sluggish engine

The tdci engine is more powerful but no where near as reliable

I driven one of these not long back and it was limited to 70mph and it felt slow

Is there any smoke?

Turbo is a easy swap from engine bay without moving engine 1 hours time to change only thing you find fiddly is oil return pipe needs undoing from under van.

turbos are pennies at scrapyards just check shafts for play focus tddi are same aswell just match no.s on turbo plate.

If it is the turbo which I doubt just bolting on a new one isn't that simple

Turbo usually fail due to **** oil junked up feed pipes with carbon etc leading to starvation of oil to the turbo

So usually a full system clean is required

I would first give it a service and clean the egr valve as these are prone to clogging x

how could i check if there was any limitier on it can i get that some way?

No no smoke at all, van drives perfect very reliable van really just the power issue

To check for any play in the turbo would i need to remove it first? im handy with the spanners so changing it wouldnt be a biggy just be sick to go to the effort and its the same ya know, havent done turbo work before

Oil filter quick egr clean can make a difference

I doubt very much it's the turbo just they are slow vans not intended for high speed

If it has a limiter all you need to do is get it to top speed and if it want go past 70-75mph it has a limiter

Usually ex fillet only have these

The van is well serviced, last one was about 7k ago new oil, filters etc

I was told to even blank of the egr valve completely whatever diff that would make

The van is well serviced, last one was about 7k ago new oil, filters etc
I was told to even blank of the egr valve completely whatever diff that would make
Blanking the egr valve I do straight away on all my vans

Modern Diesel engines are dirty engines producing lots off carbon so blanking the egr will improve performance as well as making the engine run better

You can get them on eBay for about £3

well no then has no limiter on it, was away the weekend in it and doing 80 odd on motorway when i eventually got up to that speed!

yeah ill buy the blanking plate and try it, how about if i even unplugged would that be ok to try?

Is there some sort of cleaner or spray or something i can use to get at turbo maybe?

No not really I doubt very much any thing is wrong with the turbo if no smoke etc specially if hammering it at 80 on the motorway

Clean the egr valve for now untill get a plate

I sold one of these recently and was blowing black soot out back and fumey cleaned valve blasted down bypass zero smoke when got back

Back