Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What do you do when the windows have a bad seal?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

And the water traps underneath it; you end up with a big dirty drip run once the glass has dried.

It's my number one peeve using WFP and I've probably got about 15 houses out of 300 that have the issue. Most of them I've gone back to using trad because it's just less hassle but I wondered if there was a genuine work around for this on the houses where I can't safely use a ladder? Sometimes it's impossible to tell whether you've got the problem when the glass is still wet too.

It drives me nuts!

View attachment 8460

I got plenty of these on one of my rounds.

What I do now is clean window as normal. Run the brush across the top of the glass from left to right taking the water of the seal and then rinse about inch off the seal.

Does the trick every time

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums app

I had one that regularly dried with a single drip mark in exactly the same spot, right down the middle. I thought there was a leak from the gutter. But after getting the ladder out and confirming that there was no leak and the water was getting behind the seal I just angled the brush over a little so the water didn't go up the glass with so much force. On that window it did the trick. Not one run since. Also if you're using fan jets try switching to pencils.

I had one that regularly dried with a single drip mark in exactly the same spot, right down the middle. I thought there was a leak from the gutter. But after getting the ladder out and confirming that there was no leak and the water was getting behind the seal I just angled the brush over a little so the water didn't go up the glass with so much force. On that window it did the trick. Not one run since. Also if you're using fan jets try switching to pencils.
Using pencils already. I'll try less force

Sometimes you get a window with a spot like that and no matter what you do it always spots in the same place..usually if you rub it with a magic sponge you can feel a rough spot ..rub it off properly and it doesn't spot there afterwards

I had a complaint yesterday from a house and I went and seen and they where quite badly spotted , it's only the second clean with wfp from traditional so had to come off with the usual that the seals could be bad etc, had me worrying the rest of the day though because I've recently changed the whole Street to wfp

I'm all right with the pole just seems to be the odd time you come across the odd house like this
Yeah it does. You then spend the rest of the day being more cautious or walking around checking so you lose money. It's a proper confidence knock when you get told or see a bad finish. I expect to be 100% happy with how I leave a house so I definitely want the customer to be equally as satisfied. Anything less and I've not done the job properly.

Patience is a virtue when you start cleaning wfp @C Rose Cleaning Services . Its taking you longer but you are investing in your future health and well being. If you are getting stressed that this is costing you money now, then my advice is to think of the long game as that will change.

You will find that most windows will come right. If there is any windows left that are problem ones then they are most likely south facing. If needs must blade the window off with a squeegee but don't soap the window up.

Most windows like that will respond to wfp after the first clean, but some will take a little longer.

Did this window dry with streaks? Some glass will have water that runs down in lines which may very well may dry fine. We have lots of windows like that. Once you have checked they have dried ok next time round then you don't have to worry about them again.

-

this must be one of the biggest problems WFP

Seen me dry wipe the window and sometimes still get runs

once you know the problem windows, if you can mainly bottoms just trad them then you know they are right

Also when i,m collecting i,m always checking the near windows in the passing

Patience is a virtue when you start cleaning wfp @C Rose Cleaning Services . Its taking you longer but you are investing in your future health and well being. If you are getting stressed that this is costing you money now, then my advice is to think of the long game as that will change.
You will find that most windows will come right. If there is any windows left that are problem ones then they are most likely south facing. If needs must blade the window off with a squeegee but don't soap the window up.

Most windows like that will respond to wfp after the first clean, but some will take a little longer.

Did this window dry with streaks? Some glass will have water that runs down in lines which may very well may dry fine. We have lots of windows like that. Once you have checked they have dried ok next time round then you don't have to worry about them again.

-
I agree, and I'm not stressing about the money aspect; more the customer satisfaction side of things. Can't remember the last time I received a complaint, and even then it would've been because of one of my employees. I like to be meticulous (but quick). I've just spent today trying to be less aggressive at the top of the glass and using a side ways motion to clean the very top - this seems to have had a better impact on the work and I've breezed through the day still...

Will keep at it /emoticons/wink.png

Back