Employing people

Discussion in 'Managing Your Business' started by andy1992, Dec 28, 2014.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. andy1992

andy1992 Member

Merry Christmas all,

Sorry if this is already out there. Wondering what sort of contracts/wages people who employee or have employed pay there staff ?

Cheers

Advertisement
  2. Smurf

Smurf Banned

That reminds me I've got to have a word with the boss for a big pay rise next year or I'm off the robbing cow :D

3. WWC

WWC Well-Known Member

I asked earlier this year. I don't remember all the replies as they were varied. But some pay a fixed wage, others a percentage. It depends I suppose on what you are talking about. I.e. do you want a team to go out and purely window clean? Do you have other cleaning services that you want help with? Do you want someone to work directly with you, or alone? Full time, part time or occasional?

It may be better to give specifics of what you are thinking about. That way, you can get some more accurate answers.

----------
    Paul

4. boarcity

boarcity Guest

every windie employer does it diffrently from the next. i pay hourly and always round up the hours. i.e. if we finish at ten past 4 ,i pay the workers till 5 . i know another firm who pays extra bonus if they make over a target figure each day
    what iv learnt as an employer is to get loyalty and grafting in all weathers from employees you must guarantee a certain number of hours AND some little extra bonuses , so they can plan a future or they will guaranteed quit on you.

5. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

I used to sub off a guy who had a few windies all working solo for him
    They would get £10 ph but do £20 ph of work
    If they were working quick and did say £30 in an hour they would say they did 1.5 hrs work and get 15 quid for that hour
    Some guys were fast and earning 100+ quid a day
    That was when a 3 bed round here was around £7.50

6. rafawindowcleaning

rafawindowcleaning Well-Known Member

I am interested to know how it looks from a legal side not the wages side, say I am self employed can somebody that I will employ be self employed as well and responsible for paying his/her own taxes or do I have to give them a contract of employment, holiday pay etc?

7. shazzy692002

I think they can be self employed to. I suppose its no different to builders, they take on other builders to help on bigger projects and pay them a daily wage.

8. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

When i was subbing years ago i had a few months in the summer when i got a mate to help
    I took £200 worth of work a day for me and did it giving the owner 20% for giving me the work so 160 in my pocket
    Then took 160-200 a day for my mate based on him doing 20 an hour who i paid 10 an hour so i would take the 20% off for the boss. . Then my mates 10 leaving me with 6 quid an hour extra and he paid all his own tax (i hope) as he was self employed just subbing from me
    All perfectly legal and no contract or holiday pay etc needed

9. John Roberts

John Roberts Member

If they are self employed and paying their own taxes they are a subcontractor not an employee. Skill level and speed varies greatly amongst window cleaners, you have to pay what the persons worth not a fixed amount.

10. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

I only paid a tenner an hour as he could easily do 20 an hour as was quick and up to a good standard
    This was about 8 years ago and he could do 20 an hour on those prehistoric prices
    3 beds for 7 etc
    Now the same houses are minimum 10-11 without a conservatory

Advertisement