Employing

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by TolishAPurd, May 21, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. TolishAPurd

Alright lads. I really want to make this the year I employ someone. I only have a modest round at the moment, just six days, that I run alongside my handyman business. So I want to employ someone part time to help me shrink my window round by halfing the time spent (in theory), and then build it back up to the so theres enough work to keep us both busy for 6 days again, and then maybe a bit more. Seems a bit silly employing someone for 3/4 days a month, but we'll also spend time flyering together, and maybe bring him along on some handyman jobs as well, so I should be able to keep him gainfully employed.

The question is, what's the best way to find a good employee? I havnt bumped into one capable looking lad around here that fits the bill so I will need to advertise. Where though?

Any other advice on insurances, employment law, and anything else also welcome.:thumbsup:

Advertisement
  2. boarcity

boarcity Guest

#2 boarcity, May 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2015
    i find the best way to get a helper is to put a postcard ad in a post office window "part time helper wanted " , no texting call 07blah blah . then i have a notepad ready to hand ,i get at least 10 calls . many are ne-er do wells of course but some college types usually call . i usually interview the 1st few who seem eager but i also want dozy -///eager+dozy is the best for long term in my experience -you dont want the head of NATO or the annoying boor

employ partime Only,first 1 , then 2 , juggle the days/ hours to suit their college days . 2 parttime is better than 1fulltimer cos u can let a lazy un go and still hav 1 left in the meantime
    Employee liability insurance seems to be about £200 ish for 1 employee whether parttime or full,then 100 for every employee after that -i use Simply Business .
    the main thing is you dont want to take on a deadbeat with medical problems no matter how minor -so ask plenty about their past. i sometimes pretend im ill when talking to a prospective worker ,deadbeats usually offer immediate insider info on doctors hours,cure-all remedies etc whereas eager-but-dozy will say nothing at all
    After 3 months you have to have a contract of employment,thats way way down the road and easy to download a generic then add your fine tuning

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. TolishAPurd

Thanks so much for that boar, thats a real insight. And I totally get the dozy bit lol. I have one guy in mind around here but rumour has it that he has ambitions of doing the same stuff I do, so the last thing I want to do is train up someone that will go into competition with me in two years time. At the same time I don't want someone that'll embarrass me. I'd like to work up to two or three people one day, but my van at the moment can only carry one passenger.

4. cheapncheerful

er gav...tell tolish off for being sexist...

if he dont apologise I will set shazzy on him...:rofl:

5. TolishAPurd

Lol, had to re read my posts to see what you were on about there.:laugh:

I've never had a ladder accident, but if I had an employee that looked like shazzy I reckon I'd be falling on my **** most days. :D

So lets get this right, it needs to be a dozy bloke, or an 'plain Jane'. :thumbsup:

6. cheapncheerful

yeh having a fit looking work mate may be somewat distracting...as she bends down to wash her stuff in the bucket...and we have tonights dream..:rofl:

its okay I have just done the one with a statue in that I am in love with...:D

yeh not so sure about the missus allowing a female work mate...I know mine wouldnt..

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. boarcity

boarcity Guest

3 month trial period. you will know if uve a good un by week 4 . a bad un cant behave for long,they can fake the good guy but only for a short while .

8. TolishAPurd

That sounds right, I'll keep an eye out for bad traits and hopefully stamp on it quickly.:thumbsup:

What do you do about interviewing? ...pub, cafe? And whats a reasonable starting wage?

9. Alien Human

I have been thinking about getting an apprentice to help but also have concerns about getting the right person.

I used to conduct interviews in my previous job and everyone banged on about how the candidate must have certain skills, experience and knowledge of the role which I always thought was bull. If they've got the right attitude & drive then you have a winner.....the rest can be learnt quickly. That's why an apprentice appeals to me if I find the right one.......plus the 3k per year of government funding towards wages is also a small bonus. Keep us all up to date with how it goes Tolish :thumbsup:

10. boarcity

boarcity Guest

i usually just interview by the roadside . i pay hourly £7 from the off ,explain clearly perks such as round up the hours at days end ie- if finishing at 3.30 youre paid up till 4 , share of tips , cash on the day , anything else you can think of thatll make them like the job but still respect you .
    the 1st week i dont expect too much apart from turning up properly and doing what i say . what i mean is they cant be expected to clean with no streaks for quite a while

Advertisement