Enforcing Private Debts

Discussion in 'Managing Your Business' started by Rodg98133, Jan 28, 2013.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Rodg98133

Rodg98133 Guest

What rights do i have with private residential customers? I have a couple of customers that have been messing me around for a couple of months and was wondering whether i have the rights to add late payment charges and interest to the accounts and if they still didnt pay what can i do to get my money?

Advertisement
  2. M.K Cleaners.co.uk

M.K Cleaners.co.uk Grand Master

Im sure you can charge interest at the bank of Englands base rate... 4%?

Something along those lines anyway

3. mrtaytay

mrtaytay Grand Master

Rodg.

Are you talking about taking out a civil claim?. If so, you can claim interest at the rate of 8% pursuant to section 69. You might be on dodgy ground if you try and claim a late payment fee, unless you have it written up in a contract with your customer........I worked in a county court for 28 years so dealt with this kind of thing all the time.

4. Iain

Iain Guru

If these people owe you money already then its unlikely adding interest will make them pay up. Interest is best used as a deterrent to make people pay before they debt becomes late.

If this was a company that owed you money, then you could claim £40 compensation plus 8% interest above the base rate on the debt but you need to claim for this after the debt has been paid.

As this is a private debt, I don't know for certain but these people can recover on a no win no fee http://www.geminidebtrecovery.com/. They offer a free consultation to give them a shout.

5. adyspurs

adyspurs Guru

Best to get money them bin them off mate,don't leave until they pay up and they will,no need to be threatening,just firm then get rid.

6. rcproperty

rcproperty Hero

Some solicitors can send a letter on your behalf to them, some charge only £4-6 per letter.

7. harunh

harunh Legend

i just take bad payers off my round :) not worth the hassle

its part of the game though ur always gonna get a abd customer now and again :) just gotta weed them all out :)

8. Rodg98133

Rodg98133 Guest

Yeh its not like they owe me much (only £4 a time and 2 cleans) its just annoying and everytime i go round their either not in or they make some excuse why not to pay at that time (come back tomorrow etc) ive even started taking online payments via paypal to try and make it easy for them to pay.

9. harunh

harunh Legend

The 1s that keep sayin cum bak more then 2 times in a row everytime u need to be getting rid of

10. adyspurs

adyspurs Guru

Blimey ,£4.00 a time is it worth it!!

Advertisement