Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

I need a name for new business .. What's yours ?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

IMHO your name should advertise what you do rather than how you do it. So if you are doing window cleaning only then window cleaning should be part of your name. How you do it is unimportant; the results are what attracts customer interest.

What happens if you also use a bucket and squeegee?

-

Thanks Spruce - food for thought there - being in a holiday destination in Aus there many big houses with solar panels and pool balustrades etc so could include that somehow .

Thanks Spruce - food for thought there - being in a holiday destination in Aus there many big houses with solar panels and pool balustrades etc so could include that somehow .
Sorry Dave, I just presumed you were local (UK).

When you said you needed a name change, this would indicate to me that you have been in the cleaning business a while and would like to refocus your business direction.

If you are going to focus on one particular element of cleaning then your business name needs to include that so potential customers recognise at a glance what your business is and or the services you provide.

A South African friend of ours now retired in Sydney has a company come in and clear his gutters twice a year. This company only does gutter clearing he tells me - nothing else. So his name would reflect that.

For us in the UK we would go with our main business focus and list other things we also do.

So our van would be sign written

Dave's Window Cleaners in bold, but we would also list other things we do as bullets under than name.

Solar Panels

Conservatory Roofs

Gutter Clearing

Fascia and Gutter cleaning

Garage doors

Jet washing

etc.

However, Australian Yutes don't have that much space to use as a detailed advertising board. If you have a large window cleaning base of customers who use your services regularly then a name change isn't going to cause you to loose those customers.

Dave's Enterprises would cover all those categories but would mean nothing to a potential customer. If you offered a pool cleaning service only then Dave's Pool Cleaning Service is easily recognised.

In your case you could add a bit onto your name, such as; Dave's Window and Solar Panel Cleaners. (I think that that name is too long tbh.)

I don't know what your potential market is but could you make a successful business just cleaning solar panels? There are a couple of major players in the UK market who target solar farms in the south of England, but for us in the North we only have a few on customer's roofs, many of which are potential death traps to clean, especially when mounted on the roofs of 2 story Victorian terrace houses. I have cleaned a couple of solar panels but I don't promote it. In fact I have turned some down as being too dangerous to clean.

What are people prepared to pay for your solar panel cleaning services? In the north of the UK a few customers we have some who perceive the job to be worth £5 for cleaning 10 panels off a ladder. If your reply that I'm not going to risk my life for £5 their reply is to leave it - which is fine by me.

In your case I would knock on all those doors of your potential customers/home owners and promote your services to see what the demand is for your services. Will the increased efficiency of clean solar panel justify the cost of cleaning them? We have a local school with an array of solar panels on their roof. The annual cost of maintenance of a fall arrest system and cleaning them was more than the panels produced so they are just left to the elements.

Customers who have solar panels need to be convinced that your cleaning costs will be compensated by the higher solar output of clean panels. This is something that can only be properly done face to face with backup literature for them to read after you have gone.

-

Last edited by a moderator:
you want it to be as short as possible. two or 3 words,after that youv lost people and theyll never remember it. coca cola,,,, virgin,,,, leerdammer ,,,,

brighouse and rastrick pipe band oh no thats too long

but iv remembered it avent i ?

,so im talkin shurt

Go for brand identity a name is irrelevant.

I guarantee you know the Nike tick, MacDonalds M, Mercedes symbol etc.

Get a simple/big logo and then list your services. I have people who spot my vans from across a massive field, see the logo and they know i clean windows.

Does not happen over night though.

Go for brand identity a name is irrelevant.
I guarantee you know the Nike tick, MacDonalds M, Mercedes symbol etc.

Get a simple/big logo and then list your services. I have people who spot my vans from across a massive field, see the logo and they know i clean windows.

Does not happen over night though.
Interest points @Damo.

Its always interesting to read about the chances advertising guru's have taken over the years. Shell is one of the ones I also think of. It took a lot of guts to remove the name SHELL and leave the empty shell emblem behind. They did remove the name from within the shell emblem and place it underneath but then removed the name altogether after that. It paid off for them and now they have a worldwide recognised brand name which says the same in all languages.

-

Last edited by a moderator:
I went down the large logo route. Simple but effective. Takes a few years but we get customers,friends etc spot us from a mile away. Due to the logo.

Back