Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1mm pencil jets

WCF

Help Support WCF:

davewindowcleaner

Met a jamaican window cleaner (nice chap) using a 1mm pencil jets.

Told me using 1mm save him a lot of water plus it great for cleaning top frames above the windows cos he find 2mm & 3mm jets can cause a few big drip on the glass leaving white spots.

1mm jets don't caused dripping onto the glass according to him the wet drip are smaller, stay on the frame & dry out.

Anyway I didn't ask him where he got 1mm jets from, I though I could easily find one online.

The smallish pencil jets I can find are 1.4mm from Gardiner. Anyone got 1mm jets and where did u get it from cos I like to tried see what it like?

the smaller the jets the more splash back you will get.i wouldn't use these!!!I use 3mm jets for better rinsing and don't overly concerned about water use

i used to use gardiners 1.4 jets & they really do cut down on water use but you could probably take an eye out with them lol i found them too powerfull for a lot of my stuff with gaps & vents etc, i use fans now

1.4mm jets are half the size of 2mm jets. My son wanted 1.4 as he felt he could save water when using his backpack.

He used them for a while but a change of brush meant he went back to 2mm. He hasn't asked for them to be changed.

I used his pole several times with the smaller jets and couldn't get enough flow down the glass when rinsing. 2mm jets are fine for me.

To answer your question regarding 1mm jets.

Cleaners who use them adapt mig welding tips and use those.

Clarke Pack of 5 1.0mm Welding Tips - Machine Mart - Machine Mart

One of the local cleaners tried 4 of them in his brush hoping to get a better rinsing coverage. He didn't like them.

Cheers spruce

I brought 1mm jets from MM this morning to try out.

IMO yes it save water & stop big drips dripping down the windows.

The finishing on the glass remind me of fan jets which I am not used to, the bigger the pencil jet the dryer the windows look if you know what I mean. The windows look like it all steam up.

I will wait to see what it like once the windows is dry.

You will find they will save water but slow your rinsing speed down. That will impact on your earnings per hour.

Can't say I noticed it slow me down when rinsing but the windows is looking good.

Too soon for me to tell if I like it or not, I need to try it on dirty windows first.

1.4mm jets are half the size of 2mm jets. My son wanted 1.4 as he felt he could save water when using his backpack.
Hi Spruce,

I appreciate this is an old post but can you explain how 1.4 is half the size of 2.0?

It also states it on the Gardiner website but I'm obviously not understanding it correctly.

Logic tells me that 1.0 would give me half if the 2.0 but it probably has something to do with water pressure and/or flow....

Cheers buddy. ?

Hi Spruce,

I appreciate this is an old post but can you explain how 1.4 is half the size of 2.0?

It also states it on the Gardiner website but I'm obviously not understanding it correctly.

Logic tells me that 1.0 would give me half if the 2.0 but it probably has something to do with water pressure and/or flow....

Cheers buddy. ?
Hi,

Its all about the internal area of the hole or circle

The formula to find a circle's area π (radius)2 usually expressed as π⋅r2 where r is the radius of a circle.

Using the formula a 1.4mm circle has an area of 1.54mm2.

Using the same formula a 2mm circle has an area of 3.14mm2 so roughly twice the size.

Math tells us to calculate the figures in brackets first. So the 1.4mm circle area calculation is 0.7 x 0.7 = 0.49 x 22 divide by 7 = 1.54mm2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Its all about the internal area of the hole or circle

The formula to find a circle's area π (radius)2 usually expressed as π⋅r2 where r is the radius of a circle.

Using the formula a 1.4mm circle has an area of 1.54mm2.

Using the same formula a 2mm circle has an area of 3.14mm2 so roughly twice the size.

Math tells us to calculate the figures in brackets first. So the 1.4mm circle area calculation is 0.7 x 0.7 = 0.49 x 22 divide by 7 = 1.54mm2.
Thanks spruce.

It's so obvious! Doh!?

Why didn't I spend that extra minute thinking about it?? ?

But then that's why we have forum member experts.

As always - cheers spruce ?

Thanks spruce.

It's so obvious! Doh!?

Why didn't I spend that extra minute thinking about it?? ?

But then that's why we have forum member experts.

As always - cheers spruce ?
It had me rattled for a few minutes because I have forgotten all these formulas.??

Back