Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Fear of ladders?...

WCF

Help Support WCF:

wink2202

Did anyone have a fear of ladders when they first started out? If so..how did you overcome this? Did the type of ladder make a difference at all? Do pointer ladders feel safer in your opinion? I saw a local window cleaner today on a bog standard/diy ladder, up and down without a care in the world! I was nervous for him!! I'd be grateful for any experiences/knowledge etc. apologies for all the questions...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started with a really old shitty aluminium ladder that would bend with my weight on it and was rated to 16 stone or something, I'm a good 5 to 6 stone heavier and was just waiting for it to snap when it flexed so was always a bit nervous, got a decent one now and dislike using it much because I have zero fear on it as it's solid as a rock.

Think you should be a little scared, keeps you from being stupid.

Complacency kills and i have no fear on ladders which isn't a good thing really..don't even get nervous doing townhouses by ladder

Probablt a good thing I'm wfp now

On the subject of ladders, those cheapy DIY from B&Q and the likes should be banned, even when Nick and Ben were here, 9st and 11st you could see the ladders flex.

I got mine from laddersonline.co.uk and it don't even blink with my chunky ass on it!

Safety is everything. I'll go 50 foot up if I'm confident in the equipment I use.

10 foot up on shoddy apparatus and I'm bricking it.

Try and rationlise. Is it safe?

I used to use a class one ladder which was solid as a rock, minimal flex, and slightly wider base than normal ladders. And yet nothing compares to the safety of pointer ladders, they are in a league of there own, worth every penny.

Out of interest, if there's more flex in your ladder, should you change the gradient?

I used to use a class one ladder which was solid as a rock, minimal flex, and slightly wider base than normal ladders. And yet nothing compares to the safety of pointer ladders, they are in a league of there own, worth every penny.
Totally, a 6-7 meter one is the next biggie on my shopping list!

On the subject of ladders, those cheapy DIY from B&Q and the likes should be banned, even when Nick and Ben were here, 9st and 11st you could see the ladders flex.
I got mine from laddersonline.co.uk and it don't even blink with my chunky ass on it!
Been using abru b&q ladders for years, brilliant ladders, never bend for me? Loads of work friends use them as well, my mate Danny has had the same set for 12 years still going strong..

They've just decommissioned the 9m triple on the fire truck and replaced it with a super bendy thing. Like vertical at the top. Don't mind because hns is over top, ladder always footed etc

i had "the fear" big time when i first started . i did about 5 little small houses ok but once i got to a town house it hit me bad . i then had to haul myself up my ladder as i was frozen with fear . each day from then on was the same ! i was sh/ttin myself but earning and hating what i had started

then after 3 months it suddenly went . i now bleve its similar to sea sickness. if you go out on a boat every day suddenly you dont get seasick anymore,thats what iv read

Ladder brace helps with nerves as it holds the ladder ridged, it's like climbing stairs. For occasional users who won't do enough to loose the 'sickness' might help. Only prob then it can be a pita to site the ladder

I find i am climbing the ladder as soon as it touches the wall as i am so used to it

We become like monkeys after a while

I used to have a normal ladder but changed to an a frame and was the best decision ever, feel so much safer, can reach more windows, I also use ladder mits but on the bottom I feel safer with those there and helps with balance on certain windows

At what height do you get the fear?
i used to get it after about 10 foot up. a good way to overcome it is to make sure you do plenty of 3 storey work. i took on quite a bit of that. then the majority of the regular work [2 storey] becomes an absolute breeze.

one of my workers had the fear when he first started working for me but wouldnt tell me . i overheard a colleague telling him, its best to whistle a tune as you climb up if you are sh/tting yourself. for a few months i heard him whistling but later he stopped doing that

Did anyone have a fear of ladders when they first started out? If so..how did you overcome this? Did the type of ladder make a difference at all? Do pointer ladders feel safer in your opinion? I saw a local window cleaner today on a bog standard/diy ladder, up and down without a care in the world! I was nervous for him!! I'd be grateful for any experiences/knowledge etc. apologies for all the questions...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i was scared at first my mate used to say u missed a bit ide say were then he would clime up bhind me an point at a scrim smear lol then go back down i shxxxxxit my self the first few times but then i turnrd in to a animal on the ladders i was just nuts ne fear then when i went self inployed i got my wfp set up and became a vigina an said no more ladders soon lurnt i had to use then so now im very carefull an my fear is there a bit but i just get on with it u no

I find i am climbing the ladder as soon as it touches the wall as i am so used to itWe become like monkeys after a while
+1,

You start to learn the correct angle dependant on weather/surface etc,

Dave did you ever 'go light' by sometimes putting weight through your hands on the window sill? If leaning really far, sometimes i use one hand on the window sill to take some weight off the ladder, defo a good little tactic!

I was always cautious on three story work, always a bit more vigilante, have to say, I'm glad I don't need to go that high anymore with wfp, doing lots of three story stuff on your own isn't fun, and not good if something went wrong!

Dave did you ever 'go light' by sometimes putting weight through your hands on the window sill? If leaning really far, sometimes i use one hand on the window sill to take some weight off the ladder, defo a good little tactic!
Wow what a good little tactic, recommend to newbs and beginners on an open forum to use one hand on a UPVC window sill to take the weight off the ladder when leaning REALLY far!

Everything that H&S and common sense says not to do.

Unbelievable.

Latest Posts

Back