Expanding

Discussion in 'Advertising Offline/Online & Canvassing' started by Shaun1977, Jun 15, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Shaun1977

Shaun1977 Forum Addict

I'm playing about with thought of setting another van away and expand round with extra person work for me. Just wondering ways to go about it so it's most profitable for me with least hassle

Advertisement
  2. laddergarder

If your going to take someone new on, its really better to have them work with you, that way your know they are working the way you want them to. Also two people spending 2 weeks in one area, then 2 weeks in another is the same as 1 guy in a van working in one for four weeks, and another guy in another van working in the second area for four weeks. When it comes to work load.

But working together out of the one van will be cheaper for you. You will have the piece of mind that they are not making a mess of things because you will be there to watch them.

I would take someone on part time, just working with you. and as it starts to take longer and longer to get through the work as you build things up in the other area, then you can get them out an extra day.

3. Belfastcleaning

Belfastcleaning Grand Master

Are you alone at the mo Shaun? If so there is no need for 2 vans. Think I remember your 100% wfp? Just setup for 2 man. Really if there is 2 of you, it should now take you half the time, giving you the extra half of the week to go looking for more work. When you fill up the time get another person.

4. Shaun1977

Shaun1977 Forum Addict

Na mate my rounds 2 man 3 day a week now mate so just playing with idea of expanding the wife thinks I'm just been greedy but it would be cany nest egg if I was makin a wage a month for doing next to nothing

5. Shaun1977

Shaun1977 Forum Addict

Na Belfast I'm 2 man set up now I have enough work for 3 days every week so playing with the idea of expanding the other half thinks I'm being greedy but IMO opinion it would make a very nice best egg every month if I got wage for doing next to nothing and the round will always keep its value

6. Shaun1977

Shaun1977 Forum Addict

Ha said first comment I tried to post was error obviously nt

7. laddergarder

I would say just get the two of you up to 5 days a week, never mind the other van. Problem is... and I don't have clue what you make... but if your over half way to the vat threshold, then you may not be able to have another 2 man van up and going in another area without going over the threshold. So for the extra hassle, when you can only keep maybe one guy on the second van to keep you under it, is it going to make you that much more, considering the cost of the other van.

8. Shaun1977

Shaun1977 Forum Addict

I struggle fitting 3 days a week in with the good ol British weather 5 would be impossible. You do have excellent point about VAT though

9. laddergarder

yeah but if you get 4 bad days one month and you are running 4 days late, then your late, but you still want to have enough work to keep you going if the weather is good for a good couple of weeks. You don't want to be only out three days a week when the weather is fine, with five days you can still work saturday/sunday if you are really struggling.

I have two lads working with me, at the moment, and we work five days, which I manage fine. In fact I think it took us about 4 weeks and 4 days last month to Finnish everything. The previous month we finished on the button 4 weeks.

10. harunh

harunh Legend

laddergadder knows his stuff. 5 days a week is good with 2 days spare, but im not going to do 5, i want 4 days fully booked. 3 days spare to catch up is good. I wouldnt buy a van UNLESS i had a family member working for me , cant trust any 1 these days, this man down my end has got 7 vans on the road and hes losing a lot of customers because his workers dont do the job properly, ive gained 1 this week of them due to their poor service

Advertisement