Extension Pole Instead Of Ladders?

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by Kips, Sep 11, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Kips

Kips Well-Known Member

Anyone else in here using an extension pole for trad work? Why not, if not? I started using one a few weeks ago, and I much prefer using one to using ladders. I'm just using a harris pole from b&q, it cost me £15 and I stuck an unger quick release thing on the top to click squeegees/scrapers & etc on the end.

It took me a bit of practise to get the technique down, but it's really good now, and I don't have to carry ladders. Which is a big deal as I don't drive, so all my work has to be walkable to and local. So, it's much easier carrying a harris pole for 20min than a ladder!

But aside from that, safety - poles are safe. Also cheaper, and less likely to break something in someone's house vs. trying to carry a ladder through a small terraced house.

Views aren't as good, but I reckon the job is as good and I think it's quicker too..

So, any thoughts? Why aren't you using an extension pole to work, what aren't I getting? Why are you on ladders?

Advertisement
  2. Paul

Paul Guest

I agree much easier because you font drive but I honestly don't think you get as good results as you do rite up to the glass witha squeegee

3. chip

chip Guru

I don't cos I'm mainly wfp, but if the idea had dawned on me sooner, I'd have tried to get the knack of that first. I think wagga claims to be quicker with a squeegee on a pole than wfp.

4. Kips

Kips Well-Known Member

I think all things included, mr Wagga prolly is - I've seen a lot of his vids on youtube. I want to get a proper wagtail like his but I can't afford it at the moment. Someday soon hopefully!

5. Belfastcleaning

Belfastcleaning Grand Master

How could it possibly be quicker or better? You Gota mop, bring pole down, put blade on, try and blade, then what do you do for scrimming? Also are you just doing straight pulls? A wagtail would probably be better as you can mop/blade in 1 go..

6. M.K Cleaners.co.uk

M.K Cleaners.co.uk Grand Master

What happes when you have a scrimmer window, bird ****, you want to scrim the window, drag lines (even with practice they happen)

You dont get a proper look at the glass either you would also need to carry a lot of blades for all the different windows.

There my reasons ^^ Ill agree that its probably easier to carry the pole though but ladders are not that bad after you get use to them. Some of the ladders you get are lights as a feather, i.e B&Q ladders. Theres no weight at all to them

7. GMcleaning

GMcleaning Guru

i agree, it would take longer and not do as good a job, especially with detailing

8. Kips

Kips Well-Known Member

Still quicker to do all that taking down and putting up of a pole than a ladder. It is mostly straight pulls but there is a certain way to cut in and then squeegee - you do a sort of 7 shape - there are vids on youtube, it's hard to explain. With a dogeared channel I don't really need to scrim/detail much, but if I do I just bulldog clip a scrim to the end of the pole. But really if I need to use a scrim then I've done my technique wrong a bit. At the moment I just do the window again if it looks **** and put it down to not having used a pole for that long, but you're right, a wagtail is defo the way to go. Shame they cost about 25 quid plus p&p!

9. GMcleaning

GMcleaning Guru

how do you not need to scrim? i dont care how good your technique is, you have to scrim a window even when your up a ladder where you can cut in better so how could you not need to from the floor? dog-ear or not if your not detailing then the custies will notice from the inside what you cant see from the floor,
    also if you think it takes longer to set a ladder and climb it then taking your pole up and down between mopping/blading/detailing/sills then your not using a ladder right mate

10. John B

John B Active Member

I have a trad pole that I use when I can't access via ladders. As has been said that it's not so easy to detail. I put a microfiber cloth on the end of it and drag it across the edges. I do warn customers, however, that the results will probably not be as good, but up to now I have had no complaints.

John

Advertisement