Extra odd jobs with an employee.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Business' started by Mr and Mrs window cleaner, Mar 4, 2016.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Mr and Mrs window cleaner

hi there,

This is one of my first posts after reading loads on the forum - you guys know your stuff! I'll be posting more Qs in the weeks to come.

We've been running our window cleaning biz for a year now and it's going brilliantly. My husband runs it day to day and we're keen to expand, buy another round and employ a lad to work on our existing round.

From reading the threads it seems most of you prefer the employee route over the self-employed route, which makes sense to me.

I want to know how you business owners with employees manage the lucrative odd jobs that come in off the back of the round. At the moment we get a lot of patio, conservatory, fascia, gutter cleaning requests. How do you make sure these jobs stay within the biz and the employee doesn't take them on the side as extra earners?

A lot of our custies are retired so would see the window cleaner when they came.

Is it just a case of waving goodbye to some of these jobs as a natural consequence of expanding?

Thanks in advance,

Jo

Advertisement
  2. Mr and Mrs window cleaner

Sorry, put wrong title! If anyone knows how to change it to "extra odd jobs with an employee" I'd be grateful.:thumbsup: I've tried but can't work out how to...

3. Markyboy 50

Hi. U can never trust anyone 100%. It's human nature to take what's there. Lot of hassle employing someone. I used to run 3 vans n have 2 people working for me. One left and in the end I sold the other bloke all my rubbish work. I'm a sole trader now and only work 3 days a week for just a little less than I was getting with all the hassle! Hope that helps a little

4. peter rogers

peter rogers Grand Master

I get no odd jobs at all :rofl::rofl:

5. peter rogers

peter rogers Grand Master

Ur best splitting ur selfs one Of u in each van then wen odds come in get. Them done yourselfs.

6. David K

David K Forum Addict

I was under the impression that most of us run as solo windy-cowboys ... I am and that suits me fine ! ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. mark

mark Forum Addict

i know of two cleaners who worked for mitie cleaning services,they would get people asking them to clean there windows while cleaning commercial etc.they built up a lot of work on the side.they got found out and sacked.they probably didn't think they were doing any harm.honesty is very important!!! get a tracker

8. Markyboy 50

I spent a bit of time delivering garden sheds to private houses years ago. Often had people ask if we could put em up for a bit of cash. We didn't like to let those nice folk down..... Or pass by the £30 they were about to part with

9. Simply Business

Simply Business Well-Known Member
    Supplier

Hi Mr and Mrs window cleaner, also keep in mind if you hire an employee, you'll need to update your insurance as it's a legal requirement to have employers' liability insurance.

Fines can be astronomical (up to £2.5k per day) if you're found to not have it :thumbsup: Realise this wasn't the question but thought I'd give you the heads up either way :)

10. Mr and Mrs window cleaner

Thanks a lot Simply Business (do you know how I hyperlink you so you turn green like you did with me?...I'm new and still learning things)

Thanks!

Advertisement