Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

extreme poles and power reels

SRW

Dose power real and extreme poles make the working day easier 

as thinking of getting them As my arms are getting tired by 2 clock 

curntly using a 30ft pole ? 

so took a section out and still quite heavy 

phantom facelift 30ft 

looking to get a extreme from Gardiner

phantom facelift 30ft 

Considerably easier, once you’ve used them you’d never go back. They’re an investment, they’ll speed you up and pay for themselves!

Does power real and extreme poles make the working day easier?
Yes.

But if you're using A 30 foot pole all day no wonder your arms are aching.

I use an SLX-18 (which is good for 90% of my customers), a CLX-10 which is my bungalow pole and an Extreme-22 with extensions for anything else.

I also have a Waterworks power-up reel (the old type) which, although expensive, does make a difference to my day.

Just to be clear, I haven't actually started yet 6 weeks and counting.

Most people use poles in the 18 to 25ft range as their main pole - used day in day out. They will use a longer pole only where necessary.

My guess is your arms are getting tired just because you are using a big pole and you haven't built up your strength and stamina. 

The extreme poles have a good rep for light weight and stiffness but they can be a bit brittle!!!

Your Phantom 30ft is about 2kg! If you could do most of your work with a Gardiner slx22 that's 1270g and £240 where as a 25ft extreme is £575! Then just use the Phantom when you need a bit more reach?

I had a clx27 for a while but it was too heavy to use all day. 

Now use a slx18 for most of my jobs, with the 27 footer and extensions occasionally being used. 

By using the shortest pole that’s practical for the job you are doing will reduce the weight and strain on the body , using an electric reel also does the same I would recommend both when you can afford it 

phantom facelift 30ft 

If I were starting again I'd use the same equipment I do now after six and a half years. SLX22 or Extreme 22 and good quality (clover type) manual reels, set up properly and loaded with Streamline Hi Viz 6mm microbore. I wouldn't need or use a longer pole for daily use. Almost all my work is well within the range of a 22.

I don't see any advantages for me in going for electric reels. I find my manual reels pretty much effortless and very fast to wind in. I don't have to mains charge my two batteries. The Durite SCR takes care of it. My batteries last for years longer than they ever would with driving electric reels, I'm sure of it and I don't have to worry about breakdowns. I almost never see the batteries. Perhaps once a year to check and grease the connections.

I still see that one of the main discussion subjects on the forums is electric reels and the expense and problems associated with them. And also, much to my amusement, how hard life is without them.

Each to their own of course.

If I were starting again I'd use the same equipment I do now after six and a half years. SLX22 or Extreme 22 and good quality (clover type) manual reels, set up properly and loaded with Streamline Hi Viz 6mm microbore. I wouldn't need or use a longer pole for daily use. Almost all my work is well within the range of a 22.

I don't see any advantages for me in going for electric reels. I find my manual reels pretty much effortless and very fast to wind in. I don't have to mains charge my two batteries. The Durite SCR takes care of it. My batteries last for years longer than they ever would with driving electric reels, I'm sure of it and I don't have to worry about breakdowns. I almost never see the batteries. Perhaps once a year to check and grease the connections.

I still see that one of the main discussion subjects on the forums is electric reels and the expense and problems associated with them. And also, much to my amusement, how hard life is without them.

Finding one that works consistently has been the main problem for me , I would never go back to a Manuel reel the electric makes the day a lot easier , so far the pure freedom ones are working a treat ???? shan’t speak to soon and tempt fait  though ???

Just to be clear, I haven't actually started yet 6 weeks and counting.

Most people use poles in the 18 to 25ft range as their main pole - used day in day out. They will use a longer pole only where necessary.

My guess is your arms are getting tired just because you are using a big pole and you haven't built up your strength and stamina. 

The extreme poles have a good rep for light weight and stiffness but they can be a bit brittle!!!

Your Phantom 30ft is about 2kg! If you could do most of your work with a Gardiner slx22 that's 1270g and £240 where as a 25ft extreme is £575! Then just use the Phantom when you need a bit more reach?
I started up late January, I'm using SLX22 and powerup 3D hose reel.  Also have an SLX 30 for higher jobs, They seem fine for me. 

I am 5ft and shrinking and can manage most of my work even some 3 story townhouse's with a SLX-22, you are doing yourself in by using a 30ft pole as a daily.

You and I are in the minority, but I too aren’t interested in electric reels.

As I’ve mentioned before, mine are chest height so no bending or lifting. They go through oiled up stainless rollers. I’ve watched several videos of the electric reels, and they are no faster than my manual reels.

Someone mentioned a good analogy on here about technique with reeling in, comparing it to a conker on a string. That’s all I do, quick flicks of the wrist whilst standing straight and the hose comes spinning in at speed with no pressure on the body what so ever.

As I have reels either side of my van, the winding in is shared with both hands. 
I’d happily pay out on electric if I felt it was needed, but I honestly don’t in my case ?

You and I are in the minority, but I too aren’t interested in electric reels.

As I’ve mentioned before, mine are chest height so no bending or lifting. They go through oiled up stainless rollers. I’ve watched several videos of the electric reels, and they are no faster than my manual reels.

Someone mentioned a good analogy on here about technique with reeling in, comparing it to a conker on a string. That’s all I do, quick flicks of the wrist whilst standing straight and the hose comes spinning in at speed with no pressure on the body what so ever.

As I have reels either side of my van, the winding in is shared with both hands. 
I’d happily pay out on electric if I felt it was needed, but I honestly don’t in my case ?
Tight git  ??

Tight git  ??
Times two?. I'd buy them if I could see any advantages.

Every time I see a post on electric reels, I read it to see if I really am missing a trick. Every time up to now I come to the same conclusion. No, I don't think I am. I find reeling in by hand with the right equipment and set up takes very little time or effort (spinning a conker) and offers superb control. I never have to be concerned about reliability. The system is as reliable as It can be made.

One reel is set up chest high on top of the tank at the left hand side door. One reel is on the floor at the back door. Each with their own pump and controller adjacent so we don't get in each others way. We mostly work to the left of the van so that's the way we set it up. Each reel is loosely tethered on a quick release to prevent it falling out and to allow it to be swivelled. They can be released and lifted out if necessary but that's extremely rare.

I don't have the disadvantages I see of : weight, bulk, immovability, mechanical and electrical maintenance, battery charging and reduced battery life and potential breakdowns that so obviously come with electric. 

Each to their own. I reserve the right to change my mind but I just can't see it happening. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Times two. I'd buy them if I could see any advantages. ?
I thought the same I have two hd reels (one is spare perfect working order just not needed) had the first one for over four years both in perfect working order never had any problems with them pull line steam trains. 

The 3D I had upgraded to did have a leaky connector out of the box which was disappointing but waterworks sorted it and got me another sent out immediately ? plus the controller button broke after a few weeks once again sent me out a new one the old style button which work great. 

Like just about all things univalve, extreme poles brushes etc none are essential but a luxury ? 

like everyone else I can work without an electric reel, extreme poles etc but choose to use them as I’m a lazy sod ???

my electric reel as a remote which Is handy when only a short length is pulled out as It’s already reeled I by the time you get back to the van all my work is about being as quick, light and speed efficiency sooner I’m done the sooner I can either be at home .org doing the things I like ?

I think you already know the answer to your question. Of course a lighter pole and an electric reel are going to make life easier for yourself. I started with an SLX used that for about 2 years before I got my Xtreme and you do certainly tell the difference especially on the harder more awkward windows at full reach. The electric reels are not per say faster...they are, in my opinion, more helpful to make the day easier on the body so you might have the extra energy at the back end of the day to fit one or two more houses in.

I use everything.....xtreme poles,univalve,electric reel and hot water.....all help a tiny bit each but all together a very noticeable difference to my working day..... couple that with familiar work schedules and good organisation then I'm making my day the most effective as it can be...

Sorry for the thread hijack...

I use an 18SLX as my go to pole but I'm very heavy handed and abuse it as well as not being very good at maintaining it. Should I steer clear of an Extreme pole given they are more fragile? 

I use an 18SLX as my go to pole but I'm very heavy handed and abuse it as well as not being very good at maintaining it. Should I steer clear of an Extreme pole given they are more fragile? 
No point at 18ft I'd stick with the SLX.. you obviously havent got many awkward high windows to clean on your round......I need a 25ft pole as my everyday main pole....and a 47ft for higher level work

No point at 18ft I'd stick with the SLX.. you obviously havent got many awkward high windows to clean on your round......I need a 25ft pole as my everyday main pole....and a 47ft for higher level work
I also have a clx 27 (and two extensions) for those jobs that the 18 can't reach. Perhaps an extreme would be a good replacement for this one if it is able to handle a little abuse? 

Edit: there's one house I do with the 27 where the pole is fully extended and reaches over a conservatory from the side, the pole is almost horizontal when it reaches the windows. I worry the pole will snap one day but wonder whether a SLX would be better because it's lighter or if it would be worst because it's more fragile. 

Last edited by a moderator:

depends how often you like replacing them. £600/700 a pop is a good incentive to look after it! 
although, as you are relatively new to window cleaning, and if you have only used SLX poles, you are unlikely to really feel the benefit from the extreme especially at only 18ft. 

Back