Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Organizing the round properly

adamangler

Wakefield Window Warrior
I keep coming back to this topic as no matter what i seem to do my round gets messed up all the time. Fed up of driving round all day mopping up jobs ive missed from all over the shop.

This is not about round software, tried a few and they all do the same thing... its more to do with the weather and general organization i suppose.

So my round is spread over 5 mile radius, some areas are pretty compact, but some work is spread about a bit

Anyway what i have been doing is putting  certain manageable amount on each day, problems arise if i get rained off etc so i might miss a few job, then that means i will have to do them the next day..but i might not be in that area the next day so have to do the few i missed then trapse across town to todays work, now over time this all adds up so i end up with a dozen jobs floating around in no mans land. re organise it all then it all goes to poop again a month or so later....

How do you lot order your work and more importantly how do you stay on top of it?

What im gonna do is work all my work into a complete"circle". By that I mean organise my days so the next days work is nearby, so that if I cant get the last few jobs in, its only a short hop from that work to the next days saving driving time. Then if needed put an extra 30 mins onto end of day so it all gets done by Friday. So if u imagine a clock face Monday would be 12-1, Tues 1-2 weds 2-3 and so on.

yes, going to sit down and re structure mine at christmas.

Thats how i had organised mine one day leading into the next, but it still managed to get messed up again. But like you say discipline may play a part, not finishing early or thinking ill do that tomorrow might help in some cases!

I think i will organise mine into 4 days a week and leave the friday for slipping room, mind you ive said that before and it didnt last long

I plan my round over 4 days leaves me a day plus the weekend and should something put a day off I just move every round a day and stick to it ..... and if all is going well I use day 5 as add on work days

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

yes, going to sit down and re structure mine at christmas.

Thats how i had organised mine one day leading into the next, but it still managed to get messed up again. But like you say discipline may play a part, not finishing early or thinking ill do that tomorrow might help in some cases!

I think i will organise mine into 4 days a week and leave the friday for slipping room, mind you ive said that before and it didnt last long
The minute you say I'll do it tomorrow you've lost it. The easiest way to run any business is to do what's in the book asap.  :1f4a9: happens and if you've allowed time to slip away it will happen all the time 

Dude, in the best of interests for yourself, forget the rain. rained off is unheard of for us, high winds and ice are where it should stops for safety reasons. It rains for a 1/3 year. Work through it, get some waterproofs if you have to but i’ll work soaked through to my skin if i forget mine. And if you start a round, you HAVE to finish it, whatever the weather. If there’s too many houses on the round, split it and do it over 2 days and start charging more. Whatever happens if you set out for the day you must finish it. Dont start another round until your first one is finished. Keep to the same order, house by house, no adjustments. Thats my best advice mate. All the best to getting it sorted [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

The 6 p's mate

Can't go wrong

What im gonna do is work all my work into a complete"circle". By that I mean organise my days so the next days work is nearby, so that if I cant get the last few jobs in, its only a short hop from that work to the next days saving driving time. Then if needed put an extra 30 mins onto end of day so it all gets done by Friday. So if u imagine a clock face Monday would be 12-1, Tues 1-2 weds 2-3 and so on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll work in any conditions, worked last week in snow blizzards. The 3 jobs tomorrow afternoon are quarterly jobs, they might or night complain but if it's lashing down I ain't working in it. Don't mind being cold or wet, just not prepared to work in the combination of both 

Always have your days set out, Monday have a start and a finish point, I do 8 till 4, no lunch break just grab a sandwich from my car, now some days I can be finished for 3.30, some days it's 5,, it all depends on how much messing about I do, FB, Twitter, sky news etc,, but I don't finish until Mondays work is finished, and I do the same for each day, finish half day Friday,, odd time I need to catch up, I've always got my Friday afternoon to fall back on. As for bad weather, the only time I stop is if my scrim freezes or if the water freezes on the glass, if that happens I work out where the sun is going to be and do that side of the road 1st. Hard work never killed anyone.

I always work in the rain, i find dull grey & rainy days are the best for cleaning windows, prefer it to warm and sunny. If you’ve ever cleaned windows in direct sunlight, especially on a melter of a summers day, then you know its a hell of a lot more prone to streaks or spotting, + if you forget your shades the glare is unbearable. Every summer when we have a boiling hot day i get a phone call or 2 about a streak here and there. It happens but does annoy me. + i can’t stand being hot and sweaty. I’ll take rain any day, the extra water helps and perfect cleaning results [emoji1]
Wouldn’t catch me out in snow or ice though lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

I do work in rain just not In torrential rain especially if it's windy. 

But thanks, I think I need a bit more discipline will help. Just got to get it into an order and not let it slip.

i always plan to start at the jobs furthest away and work my way towards home. that way if jobs get missed they are the ones nearest home, and easier to mop up.

ive got my work organised so i start about 8 and finish about 330ish,winter hours then in the summer with longer days do all the add ons conny roofs etc after 330

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app
You’re brave! I start with a conny roof as i’m always buggered after it. I remember we did two whoppers in a day once. both huge connys and wacky shapes to them. Never again lol. One a day is enough

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Even with the best intentions though this week has been impossible to keep up to schedule. Mon/Tues water was freezing on the glass, yesterday torrential rain all afternoon and looks like heavy rain today.

It's all good being organized but what can you do sometimes things are just out of your control. 

Even with the best intentions though this week has been impossible to keep up to schedule. Mon/Tues water was freezing on the glass, yesterday torrential rain all afternoon and looks like heavy rain today.

It's all good being organized but what can you do sometimes things are just out of your control. 
sometime you cant work, but 99% of times theres a work around to minimise disruption. This week ive shower dodged, and with the colder temperatures tuesday i left my backpack at home and trad poled my work. Only lost 1/2 a day in last 2 week! It can be done, i kbow you wont do ladder work but have you considered a trad pole? think its gonna be a rough winter and if your system does freeze up or water freezes on glass you have a backup to keep working

Well it lashed all morning and in the end I came home. Id rather be sittinf in the house with the fire lit than working in **** weather. Tomorrow's another day. That's the best way to look at it  :beerchug:

sometime you cant work, but 99% of times theres a work around to minimise disruption. This week ive shower dodged, and with the colder temperatures tuesday i left my backpack at home and trad poled my work. Only lost 1/2 a day in last 2 week! It can be done, i kbow you wont do ladder work but have you considered a trad pole? think its gonna be a rough winter and if your system does freeze up or water freezes on glass you have a backup to keep working
You would have been fine with backpack no 10's of metres of hose on the ground and if water was going to freeze on glass it would have been worse been soapy water no fun scraping soapy water of a set of patio doors had that years ago  :1f602: a few times . 

As for keeping work organised its more difficult if you have 2-3 jobs here and their as you are losing time setting up etc i have a day or so like this and loses me to much time and money but slowly over time i am replacing some work with more compact work. 

And as above keep on cracking on as best you can, their has been days were I have knocked of 3 times and gone back out in freezing cold winds and potential of it lashing down with rain on houses 

Back