Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

New WC putting leaflets through my work!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Damo

Never experienced this so thought I would post a thread and see what people think.

I have no issue with WC knocking or posting leaflets but how about this one...

I am cleaning away and I see a leaflet dropper. As I am cleaning the window I can see in the reflection he's taking a proper interest in me. So I think Hmmm could be a WC.

As I am cleaning the house he basically forces his way past to the door and delivers a leaflet.

I couldn't make out what his leaflets were.

About 20 seconds later my customer hands me the leaflet through the window. So I spin round because he is a WC and I say to him.

"Hi mate, I think that's a bit of order ain't it. Fair enough you can post leaflets or knock doors and I wouldn't know. But I am actually here cleaning this house. Would have been nice to have at least been acknowledged "

His reply was what I thought. " I can do whatever I want and post leaflets wherever I want"

I explained again. I don't have an issue with that. It's the fact you never even introduced yourself.

His next reply was. My name is XXXX and you will be seeing a lot more of me in this area from now on.

Oh right I said if that's your attitude I bid you a good day and happy cleaning.

As he went round the corner he came back and said. Is that your van? Seen it on YouTube mate it's awesome. Can I have a look.

Are you for real? You get one chance with me and you have just blown it.

I said to him do you know the irony of this. I have literally just sorted out 6 jobs I am dropping this week. It's £61 for an hours work but it's 15 mins there and 15 mins back and I cannot build up anymore work there. The sad thing is you live there. You could have easily had them today. But your attitude stinks. You won't get far with that. He came over and at this point I drop the pole and think he's gonna square up.

Sorry mate he says. I am struggling to get work. Quit my job. Read you could earn £50 an hour online and basically I ain't earning that in a day. I can't get work. At this point I feel sorry for him. So i have given him the jobs and explained a bit of pride and respect goes a long way.

I'd have just set Davey on him /emoticons/smile.png)

It takes all sorts this game @Damo

Just this weekend I have a message through my facebook page, not a private message but an open one.

Customer: 'Hi there, do you cover Long Eaton?'

DHG Window Cleaning --- (NOTHING TO DO WITH ME) -- 'Hi there, we are always available to cover Long Eaton'

Me: ?? WTF ?? PM to DHG -- Are you taking the pi$$??

No response as yet, this clown has three vans about and is playing games like poaching on Facebook? Risky business.

As I say, it takes all sorts.

And like yourself, Long Eaton is a bit off my patch so to speak so I would happily have passed it along if I had been asked politely now he more chance of me putting my card in any door I see his vans outside. /emoticons/smile.png

I wonder if he's on here if he's been reading about how much people earn. Could be another forum he's read it on I suppose.

I'd have just set Davey on him /emoticons/smile.png)
It takes all sorts this game @Damo

Just this weekend I have a message through my facebook page, not a private message but an open one.

Customer: 'Hi there, do you cover Long Eaton?'

DHG Window Cleaning --- (NOTHING TO DO WITH ME) -- 'Hi there, we are always available to cover Long Eaton'

Me: ?? WTF ?? PM to DHG -- Are you taking the pi$$??

No response as yet, this clown has three vans about and is playing games like poaching on Facebook? Risky business.

As I say, it takes all sorts.

And like yourself, Long Eaton is a bit off my patch so to speak so I would happily have passed it along if I had been asked politely now he more chance of me putting my card in any door I see his vans outside. /emoticons/smile.png
I'm quite placid though aren't i @Damo? Lol

It was a joke mate

I was telling damo how placid i am once ..then someone had a pop at him

My words were "I'll chin the c###"

Placid :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yeah I suppose the thread has a few points;

A He's read £50 an hour online lol.

B Should be have said anything or introduced himself.

C Should Davey boy have chinned him lol.

I always try to get along with other window cleaners and even pass work on to some being polite can go a long way in this game.

One thing that does get me is the bull people talk this lad has listened to someone about £50 an hour and believes that to be the norm.£50 an hour is achievable but can take years to get to that level.The things some shiners tell tell me would make you laugh.

You did the right thing

this is the trouble with posting prices on line every one wants a slice of the action wfp has also helped with this,but i think u handled it well demo ide have probly just keped quiet then found his adress vire the leathlet just incase he stole any of my work lol /emoticons/biggrin.png

He should feel humbled after that convo I'd say,especially after being pretty rude and you've went and taken the noble position still..

Well played @Damo. Total cheek though leafleting right under your nose. Got to have balls I suppose to drop a leaflet while the current cleaner is still there cleaning.

Not sure how I would have handled it. Being humble and polite gets you a long way in this game. I was fortunate enough when I first started to get some work of local cleaners. Granted it was some of their dregs but got me going. All from having a chat and being friendly.

It is good to help each other out when you all work close

Cghwindowcleaning has passed me a couple of jobs in the past and i have messaged him with a possible commercial in an area i don't cover

If i can't do a job i am asked to do ie: short notice and can't fit it in etc i will always give them adams0211's contact details to try him

A guy round here doesn’t do conny roofs or fascias and recommends me and i do the same for him with awkward gutter jobs as he vacs them

It is good when we all get along and no point just turning down a job you don't want if someone else can do it

Dave knows what am I like I will help anyone out.

Problem is everyone is your friend until you're doing better than them.

Had a related experience - I was canvassing in a "no cold call" area (quite an aggressively no cold call area as it happens) and knocked on a door (without stickers). Bloke comes to the door and says he's the window cleaner for this area, I shouldn't be knocking here etc. This is after we've booked 3 including his next door neighbour. Made the usual mollifying noises and he says he'll be calling the police. So I'm walking away thinking "yeah, whatever" - and this plonker starts following me along the road. To cut a long story short - the police did attend eventually - I was "requested" to leave, and he got a formal police caution. Result! Went back a few days later and booked a couple more - just to rub salt in the wound.

Much respect to you Damo, I do like a happy ending. I seriously think I would have not even said anything to him because I can't be bothered with people like that, but it turned out well. I know how he must of been feeling on the canvassing front, door after door of people either not in or not interested, glad those days are passed. Like Gav and a couple others on here I got given about 15 "dregs" that where really beneficial to get me going. He'll rememeber you if he stays in the game and might well do the same to another gobby little oik.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back