Fairy

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by Purus, Dec 5, 2011.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Purus

Purus Guest

Hi guys, just a question. How much fairy would you use in 1 bucket of water?

Advertisement
  2. Masons

Masons Guru

How big's a bucket?
    I'll measure tomorrow if you like.
    and let you know, but i use enough so it doesn't bead out on the window yet not enough that it's sud city. lol

3. in a normal window cleaning bucket with water filled to the 10 litre line i used to use an 1/8 of a bottle of fairy its just down to presonal preference

4. laddergarder

I usually only carry 2 gallons of water, and change my water at dinner time, and for 2 gallons I put in 2 cap fulls, but the cartons I buy my soap in are big, as are there caps, so probably about 1/8 of a medium sized mug.

The thing with putting in too much soap, is the more dissolved solids(soap) you put in your water, the more of a mark you are going to get around the edges if you don't get it all of with your cloth. Which will happen, so I tend to try keep my amount of soap to a minimum to counter this.

Also if you are working in warm weather, you can put in a little extra to stop is evaporating so quickly, but the side effect is you are to have to spend more time ensuring that you wipe the edges properly.

5. even with no fairy in your water it will leave marks if you don't wipe the edges first

6. laddergarder

I don't wipe the edges first, I do that last. But what I meant was you are never going to dry up every speck of water when you run the edges, and if you put in too much soap, you can get as milky line around the window.

7. if you are not completely drying round the edges after you have sqeeggeed your window then there is a good chance your clothes are to wet

8. laddergarder

we only use dry cloths to ensure the edging is cleaned to the best possible standard.

However if the window frame is square, like many sash windows, and being that my fingers are round as many are, you can never get the cloth right into the edge all the time and at times you will not remove every single drop of water from the edge, dry cloth or not.

Its not that complicated a statement, splitting hairs about it is not very helpful for the original posted topic.

My comment was only that you can improve that standard of clean, by not using too much soap as it can leave a milk mark around the edges when it dries.

9. you have taken it all wrong there is no point in getting so defencive im only suggesting a possible way of improving your technique, fingers may be round but clothes can easily be pushed into the corner of a 90 degree angle to improve detailing, i don't see why this isn't relevent to the progression this post has taken sometimes it helps to be open to new ideas :)

10. Gav

Gav Grand Master
    Administrator

common now guys we are not CIU! ;) all opinions and experience is good and we should all take each others ideas and advise on board we are not here to to get at each other. ideas were offered as a helping hand not to offend etc. :)

Advertisement