Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Fascia & gutter cleaning

WCF

Help Support WCF:

The window frames would not need soaking as you would be using a 1% mix on the fascias etc anyway and would only improve the frames.

I do this sort of thing daily.

Out of interest why would you not use it on upvc?
I wouldn't use it cos of risk of discolouring the upvc. I know if used in a very weak solution the normal colour comes back but it can take time and I wouldn't want to leave until it had. And part of me always worries that one of these days it's going to stay discoloured.

I also know there are other products specifically designed for upvc etc that will do an equally good job but are less harsh, so with them I've got peace of mind and that's why I wouldn't use it.

Also, you know what you're doing with hypo and how to use it and good luck to you. But I do notice a mentality developing that sees hypo as the one stop shop and go to product for just about anything. I've seen posts from people who are clearly in no position to be giving advice and they're recommending hypo for rust stains, llimescale, oil, efflorescence and so on.

In view of that I don't like to encourage its use too much. It amazes me how willing some people are to use chemicals without doing their own research into them first and making an informed choice. I'm not anti hypo - I think it's amazing stuff.. Perhaps I'm being over cautous. I accept that completely, but as I've said it's a peace of mind thing for me.

I wouldn't use it cos of risk of discolouring the upvc. I know if used in a very weak solution the normal colour comes back but it can take time and I wouldn't want to leave until it had. And part of me always worries that one of these days it's going to stay discoloured.

I also know there are other products specifically designed for upvc etc that will do an equally good job but are less harsh, so with them I've got peace of mind and that's why I wouldn't use it.

Also, you know what you're doing with hypo and how to use it and good luck to you. But I do notice a mentality developing that sees hypo as the one stop shop and go to product for just about anything. I've seen posts from people who are clearly in no position to be giving advice and they're recommending hypo for rust stains, llimescale, oil, efflorescence and so on.

In view of that I don't like to encourage its use too much. It amazes me how willing some people are to use chemicals without doing their own research into them first and making an informed choice. I'm not anti hypo - I think it's amazing stuff.. Perhaps I'm being over cautous. I accept that completely, but as I've said it's a peace of mind thing for me.
Like all things hypo has its place but it’s not suitable for everything , as for turning plastic yellow/ brown yes it can sometimes but provided the mix isn’t to strong it works well , over the years we have had some white plastic go yellow , Evan with a weak mix but after a couple of hours or worst case scenario over night it will revert back to white with no long lasting damage . I have tried a variety of different chemicals for plastic and have to say that nothing seams to work as well as hypo does , but I do agree with what you say to many are using it inappropriately, and some use it neat and wonder why they get problems like all things a little knowledge is dangerous , there are a few on hear @Dave B and @kevinc250 who are very knowledgeable about how to use chemicals safely and have been very helpful in explaining how to do certain jobs safely and not causing any damage I have learned a lot from them , but still realise I have a lot to learn compared to theses guys , and if ones are unsure how to do something it’s always best to err on the side of caution and seek advice from ones with more experienced, or use another product, Virosol is very good for plastic cleans but again needs to be diluted and used correctly or this also can turn white plastic yellow if used neat . 

Like all things hypo has its place but it’s not suitable for everything , as for turning plastic yellow/ brown yes it can sometimes but provided the mix isn’t to strong it works well , over the years we have had some white plastic go yellow , Evan with a weak mix but after a couple of hours or worst case scenario over night it will revert back to white with no long lasting damage . I have tried a variety of different chemicals for plastic and have to say that nothing seams to work as well as hypo does , but I do agree with what you say to many are using it inappropriately, and some use it neat and wonder why they get problems like all things a little knowledge is dangerous , there are a few on hear @Dave B and @kevinc250 who are very knowledgeable about how to use chemicals safely and have been very helpful in explaining how to do certain jobs safely and not causing any damage I have learned a lot from them , but still realise I have a lot to learn compared to theses guys , and if ones are unsure how to do something it’s always best to err on the side of caution and seek advice from ones with more experienced, or use another product, Virosol is very good for plastic cleans but again needs to be diluted and used correctly or this also can turn white plastic yellow if used neat . 
Also once virosol or ubik turns it yellow it doesn't want to come back off easily.

You're definitely correct that too many people are using it nowadays without a care in the world and also no idea what it is they are doing or what it's for.

I wouldn't say I know any more than you Paul I just do research when I need to.

Kevin is the man in the know more than me lol.

Also once virosol or ubik turns it yellow it doesn't want to come back off easily.

You're definitely correct that too many people are using it nowadays without a care in the world and also no idea what it is they are doing or what it's for.

I wouldn't say I know any more than you Paul I just do research when I need to.

Kevin is the man in the know more than me lol.
Years ago I ruined a white UPVC conservatory using TFR it was diluted correctly and I had done the same thing dozens of times before without issue to this day I don’t know why what happened happened, it turned part of   the plastic  and glass yellow it looked like someone had thrown a varnish over it nothing would get it off, not Evan a scraper on the glass  it had a raised surface that you could feel and see . From that day on I have never used TFR again . You understand the make up of chemicals and what are comparable far more than I do . I do always ask advice or do research if Ime not sure about something we tend to do very similar jobs with hypo , algi removal on various surfaces etc plastic cleans , killing likens , mould and Ime happy how to varie the mixes on the types of surfaces we clean but anything out of the ordinary I always check first or start with a weak mix and go stronger if needed . @kevinc250 is always on the end if the phone for offering sound advice . 

i echo @K in Kent's thoughts regarding how hypo seems to be the cure all for any manner of things although, the same could have been said about tfr and virosol years ago where it was the go to for any situation, the pink stuff has seen a come back in the last few years too.

i think if you go back to view the original photo and look at it for a while and instead of looking at the facias look at the surrounding area.

its something i do before even thinking what would be the better product to use, two veluxs on the roof means keeping at least a couple of feet away from them due to the tiles, lead flashing along the length of the roof, at that pitch i would be more than happy to walk on that but again i tread very gently and kinda feel with my toes.

now, what to use?, hypo on the facias would work but, the run off will stain the lead flashing, also the run off will more than likely create marks on the tiles, tfr would have the same effect especially a caustic one, so thats two products that would work but could create more issues,  virosol in this situation would work without having the issues as mentioned earlier, same could be said about pvc solvent cleaner/cream cleaner and pink stuff, time consuming though. soap and water is another option could be slow going but safer on the surroundings.

again is the surface covered in alghi or is it just dirty or a combination of them both?, this narrows down the choice of product too,

i know i am being a bit vague but, the post is over four months old and i can only assume its been done with whatever the op thought was best and sometimes its better to encourage people to get researching or be open to alternate options rather than the main stream "in-vogue" chemical of choice. and begin to think of the surface you are treating instead of the product to use first.

I don't disagree with a word of that and I respect and value the opinions of people like you and others who know what they're talking about and the experience to back it up. I certainly don't think I know it all and I'm always up for increasing my knowledge about chemicals and kit. I'm also always interested in anything that makes the ob quicker and easier whilst maintaining standards.

I think in the past when I;ve tried hypo I  used too strong a mix so will be trying it again with a weaker ratio.

Back