Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Dealing with stress

WagtailMat

Hey guys,

Well buisness is doing well since I left my full time job, I'm earning more with less hours, but I'm always nervous about not having enough work in book two weeks ahead and I still get nervous dunno why, is it because I'm so use to working 40 hours a week and because I'm not now I feel like I'm not doing well?

Hope all makes sense kind regards

Its because you dont have that safety net of a monthly pay slip coming in. Its really weird not having that lump at the end of the month.

Im the same ive only just gone full time and im nervous all the time, ive a few non payers which is making me stressed as well. Just try to block it out and keep moving forward, clean what youve got as quick as you can then get looking for more. Im sure it will pass when youve plenty of work and cash is flowing...

Im just starting to save money, i want a rainy day fund stashed away so dont have to panic about sickness, holidays or bad weather, save every penny you can for a year and get as much work you can for a year. Once you have got to that point life should be much less stressfull, thats my plan anyway

I think the stress is from knowing you have to make x amount by the end of the month, whereas working for someone else you dont worry about that. For me, I try to keep some savings, knowing I have a few months to play with if something bad happens.. Canvassing can help too as getting few more customers each week helps motivation...

I always worry about getting x amount of customers. But I have a target to cover bills, wages etc that I need each month and also know the actual amount of work planned and then I try to make sure I have at least 10% extra booked more then target for people which might cancel, rearrange etc. That seems to help me..

Im always having mind moments and think im cheating when I'm not working everyday, Im way behind due to the weather, had a weeks holiday in Jan, have just been ill, worked two hours Monday, off Tues and Wed, wish I got sick pay. went out today with wife to work, had only done about £60 of work and started raining, both unmotivated so went to check/quote out a huge house for cleaning wooden cladding/pvc then was going to head home, a woman passing by the van, spoke to my wife about doing her windows, massive house, went to do the quote said we can do today, easyish windows, but filthy, £120 for first clean- 2 hours, job done. So glad my darling wife was with me.

I've only been self employed for two years and my mind is always thinking of something work related at times, can get paranoid tendencieso_O, maybe its from working in the"system" and is the grass greener on the other side, working for yourself, or is it:eek:/emoticons/biggrin.png I dont even know what I'm writing, hope it makes you feel better:whistle:

I don't deal very well with stress so I go out of my way to avoid it. Because of that, I'm incredibly laid back. Too laid back sometimes.

I went part time and didn't leave my old job until I'd built up enough customers to cover my wages. I'm busy enough each week with regular customers to cover the bills but I've still got some way to go before I'm at full capacity.

For me, things can change at the drop of a hat. Two weeks ago next week was looking rather quiet. I've taken on enough new customers and enough one-off jobs (gutters, conservatory roofs, etc) to fill it up a bit more.

My advice would be to really go at the advertising. Facebook, canvassing, leafletting, whatever. There's loads of work out there.

I've got plenty of work and a great name really known as the affordable window cleaner here in aus, I def put money aside for bad days, my first month full time and I'm way happier then working for someone but even though o advertise and leaflet yet drop and canvassing I think I can do more I should be happy I have work but I it seems I want more then I can handle sometimes just hired a young bloke to help me out and got to meetings with big cleaning company's that want to pass on there window work to me witch is very exciting I think my mind just plays tricks on me lol thankyou all for your kind and knowledgeable words

I don't do stress

I don't worry about anything as i have done this all before before moving from london

I know it will work and just crack on and keep building

I can't say I've ever been stressed about getting enough work and the fear of the unknown working for yourself as i was doing this job with a friends dad since i was at school so it just sort of happened

Had some friends parents ask me etc and suddenly i had the start of a round

Joined the army..left 3 years later and just rattled a few doors and i was working again

I am the other side of the coin I have to much work.

Keeping up with it and completing it stress me out all the time.Doing a lot of commercial means they have to get done regardless of if I don't feel like it.

I can also spend a lot of time chasing payments pricing work etc.

I am going to try and get more free time back by dropping Saturday's soon and may sell off some residential to ease it up a bit.

I don't practise what I preach but excercise is very good for stress.

I find workin as a windy cleaner helps with stress as I'm on my own don't see the same people everyday listen to my own music come and go as I plz and keep fit running up and down ladders all day plus tonnes of fresh air...

Have 3 months worth of bills in savings set aside and that will ease your worries a lot.

When it comes to work, there is a very fine line between not having enough work, to having way too much. It can just sneak up on you, and as such you can be full up in a weeks time from now, looking back at this post wondering what you were worried about. Get some more adverts/leaflets/whatever out there and you'll be sorted.

You are talking to a believer here /emoticons/wink.png

"Worrying about tomorrow steals the joy from today"

I started back from having 11 days off at Christmas. First thing was sort out "max days" So i could catch up as quick as possible. Then the following happened;

Put my back out for a few days.

Heavy rain & wind (slowed me up)

Frost caused later starts.

So ALL that worry achieved nothing. I have to worry a little as that's what drives me on at work. They day i stop worrying will be the demise of my business (for me at least)

You are right to be worrying/worried as that will make you a success. Just need to balance the worry.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it. Advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website.

Our website also relies on advertising to keep the doors open and the lights on!

For the best site experience, please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock