Fear of ladders?...

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by wink2202, Aug 30, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. wink2202

wink2202 Newcomer

Did anyone have a fear of ladders when they first started out? If so..how did you overcome this? Did the type of ladder make a difference at all? Do pointer ladders feel safer in your opinion? I saw a local window cleaner today on a bog standard/diy ladder, up and down without a care in the world! I was nervous for him!! I'd be grateful for any experiences/knowledge etc. apologies for all the questions...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
  2. Diwrnach

Diwrnach Grand Master

I started with a really old shitty aluminium ladder that would bend with my weight on it and was rated to 16 stone or something, I'm a good 5 to 6 stone heavier and was just waiting for it to snap when it flexed so was always a bit nervous, got a decent one now and dislike using it much because I have zero fear on it as it's solid as a rock.

Think you should be a little scared, keeps you from being stupid.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

Complacency kills and i have no fear on ladders which isn't a good thing really..don't even get nervous doing townhouses by ladder
    Probablt a good thing I'm wfp now

4. Green Pro Clean Ltd

On the subject of ladders, those cheapy DIY from B&Q and the likes should be banned, even when Nick and Ben were here, 9st and 11st you could see the ladders flex.

I got mine from laddersonline.co.uk and it don't even blink with my chunky ass on it!

5. Safety is everything. I'll go 50 foot up if I'm confident in the equipment I use.
    10 foot up on shoddy apparatus and I'm bricking it.

Try and rationlise. Is it safe?

6. TolishAPurd

I used to use a class one ladder which was solid as a rock, minimal flex, and slightly wider base than normal ladders. And yet nothing compares to the safety of pointer ladders, they are in a league of there own, worth every penny.

7. Out of interest, if there's more flex in your ladder, should you change the gradient?

8. Green Pro Clean Ltd

Totally, a 6-7 meter one is the next biggie on my shopping list!

9. Jake

Jake Grand Master

Been using abru b&q ladders for years, brilliant ladders, never bend for me? Loads of work friends use them as well, my mate Danny has had the same set for 12 years still going strong..

10. TolishAPurd

Yes, but always keep it between 1 quarter to 1 third of the working height of the ladder.

Advertisement