fire hydrant

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by colinvansmith, Mar 12, 2011.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Hi guys not sure where you fill your water fed tanks up but if you follow the link below its a site that sells fir hydrant keys and stand pipes. You can fill your tank up on the go wherever you are working can save time and is hassle free as you can continue to work whilst its filling.

http://www.fireprotectiononline.co.uk/fire-brigade-equipment/

Colin

Advertisement
  2. Hinty

Hinty Well-Known Member

We used to use the hydrants - but you have to get a hydrant license, and display a tag on the vehicle to show that it is licensed.

Can't remember how much it was, but it wasn't too expensive.

We were told that the first 30 seconds of water had to be discarded as it could damage the system, and contained all sorts of muck.

From the customer perspective - they often don't realise how much water is wasted producing pure water, so it can sometimes be worthwhile carrying a waste water hose that will reach a nearby drain.

Not sure, but I think that when you have a hydrant license - hosepipe bans don't affect you, as the water company has contracted to supply you with a specific amount of water - which you pay for in advance.

Dave

3. i see........ i did not know this, everydays a school day lol

What would happen if you just used a hydrant without getting a licence, certainly where i live no one would even notice :)

colin[hr]
    I live in Scotland and just checked and a fire hydrant licence for a year is £500 :)

4. nearlyclean

Supplier

I think you would get fined if you use a Hydrant without a license they have a meter on the key/tap that you connect to it and I thought the water board rent these out

5. Thinks it is slightly different in Scotland, according to scottish water, its just a flat rate of £500 for the year. There is no meter on the stand pipe you hire which is included in the flat rate :)

Colin

6. Jeff Brimble

Jeff Brimble Member

Takes me back 5 years to a guy who had us all going on CIU called "Bullstopshere" about how he took no water with him and explained how he made water on the go, a great old thread, whish I knew who he was to congratulate him.

7. spruce

spruce Grand Master

Someone must know who he is by now.

Advertisement