Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

First Post - Just saying thanks!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Jimajama

Hello Everyone,

From the Title you can obviously see this is my first post, Every week for a little while Ive been meaning to join the forum and write a post saying thanks to everyone, just been so occupied that I’ve not got around to it till now.    I started up just over a year ago during June 2020.  Its been a challenging year and without a doubt, the advice on this forum and some help from a few friends has been priceless.

So, Thanks Very much for the posts and the knowledge passed on.   Hope you all have a good day today. 

- James 

Hello Everyone,

From the Title you can obviously see this is my first post, Every week for a little while Ive been meaning to join the forum and write a post saying thanks to everyone, just been so occupied that I’ve not got around to it till now.    I started up just over a year ago during June 2020.  Its been a challenging year and without a doubt, the advice on this forum and some help from a few friends has been priceless.

So, Thanks Very much for the posts and the knowledge passed on.   Hope you all have a good day today. 

- James 
Welcome to the forum. 

Sorry for the delayed reply busy time of the year for most.

Good luck out there!

Dont forget to pass on what you've learned in the beginning of your journey, to other new windies!

Welcome to the forum. 

Sorry for the delayed reply busy time of the year for most.

Good luck out there!

Dont forget to pass on what you've learned in the beginning of your journey, to other new windies!
Ok..... Well I've learned a few things for sure....  I work out of a pickup truck at the moment, I was lucky to have a great vehicle that I had a chance to buy, I use barrels and backpacks for now. Eventually I would like to customise the back of the truck and fit it out with a tank and reels etc. Until then, I'm used to lugging around heavy old things as I worked in a fencing yard for 7 years... Anyway going off track now.  

What I've learnt. 

Don't go in with a cheap price or allow people to knock you down (in general), You end up with annoying customers who think they have you in their pocket. 

Dress well if you're canvassing be polite and smile!

Talk to other window cleaners if you're out and about, you will learn something or just make a friend. 

Buy really good quality gear, (Gardiners is great in my opinion) Ive bought a second pole from another company and it just winds me up when I compare it to Gardiner. 

£15 isn't worth going up a ladder when its risky. 

Spend a little bit of time getting to know your customers if you can/if appropriate, they will like you and talk to all their friends about you, ending up in more work and good reviews. 

Don't rush a Job, and if you're Quick, don't look like you're rushing. 

When you're having a bad day, go a little slower, breath in the fresh air and remember you're not working for a rubbish wage anymore, just relax and have a laugh, its not all about money.  

If you're worried about the quality of a clean, do a walk around after you've finished to look for any bits that might leave marks. 

Get someone who knows what they are doing to make a good spreadsheet for your work, My wife has been amazing and I would not have a business without the spreadsheet she made me. 

Get online and market yourself well. 

Listen to people on the Forum, because they generally know what they are on about. 

Don't waste your time on using Hydrocloric acid on limescale marks. it doesn't work! Bit of kilrock and it might fade a little bit. (blame the builders for stains and other marks)

Value your time and work Hard! 

Theres a lot more, but its late and I'm knackered.... 

Oh, I would love to know what the best way of using a pickup is, at the moment I'm thinking do it like in the U.S. 

This is my Baby.. Nissan D22 

View attachment 25088
No idea what the Americans do but I have a double cab with a hard top. 500L tank installed in a frame with a B2B battery and electric reel. 

I do get window cleaners approaching me and asking to see inside and they are surprised I've a 500L tank! 

I keep thinking about a pick up. An Isuzu extended cab mostly, or maybe a hilux.

It would need some planning and fabrication to set it up.
A 900l D-shape tank, locking pole tube, mount the reels at chest height and drop the hose through rollers in the floor. A waterproof enclosure for pumps/controllers/battery, and an easy way of storing a combi ladder, a chem sprayer and a few spares.

Latest Posts

Back