Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

First time clean and first job ever for me…any advice?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I reckon on a first clean with a backpack then you would need to clean all windows and doors then fill the backpack up and do them all again. I must use at least 50 litres of pure on a first clean and that's with hot water. I usually clean them 3 times so I don't get called back when vents drip down the glass.

Interesting. Do you have pics? I am going to do the wash at 11 today. Windows are awful

Attachments

• 0A332C0C-5E22-4D26-BD82-AF86DFF73148.jpeg
    0A332C0C-5E22-4D26-BD82-AF86DFF73148.jpeg
    194.1 KB · Views: 34
Also, was so embarrassing getting water at Spotless Camberley. I had me two barrels and me back pack and there is everyone else with vans and trucks ???

Also, was so embarrassing getting water at Spotless Camberley. I had me two barrels and me back pack and there is everyone else with vans and trucks ???
I’m in the same boat bud, i even feel a bit embarrassed turning up at customers in a car, but when you do a decent job and they text you how pleased they are it’s kind of irrelevant. Still can’t wait to get a van though ?, I was going to wait 12 months but I don’t think I can wait that long, it’s only been 2 months and I’m already perving over vans for sale!

I’m in the same boat bud, i even feel a bit embarrassed turning up at customers in a car, but when you do a decent job and they text you how pleased they are it’s kind of irrelevant. Still can’t wait to get a van though ?, I was going to wait 12 months but I don’t think I can wait that long, it’s only been 2 months and I’m already perving over vans for sale!
I started using my car and carried on for 6 months just in the car, started last June. I was looking at vans for months, we were planning on buying a van in April 22. Then in December 21 I spotted a deal on a brand new Toyota ProAce City that was a really great deal but it wouldn't be ready till November 22! I was considering ordering one and even specked it out and have a price confirmed just about to pay a deposit and thought I would have another check to see what was out there before signing on the dotted line! Then I spotted a 2019 Peugeot Partner with 24K on clock with a 400lts Streamline RO/DI 2 man system in for less that the new van, seller ran out of text on advert and misspelt Window cleaning so it didn't come up on searches!!!! I did a bit more checking and it was same price as an empty 2019 van was going for!!! So on New Years Eve I put a deposit on it and it was delivered on 14th Jan 22! Took a few days to clean tank, buy reel, booster pump etc and have not looked back since! It is so much nicer not having to worry about when the backpack would run out and need a refill, not to mention more flow, faster rinse and just so much easier to setup and pack away. Plus with signwriting I just feel more professional, I wouldn't say the sign writing has brought much extra work in but it has brought some, even had 1 neighbour ring when I was cleaning opposite them as they could read my number from the side of the van!

I'm not saying jump into big debt, give it a good go in the car and make sure you enjoy the work! Working out of the car was a good grounding.
Good Luck.

It might be a bit early but @Mx19 has a round for sale near you here: Rounds for sale - Fleet/Ash/Farnham/Farnborough Might be worth having a chat with him?
I use to live in Ash about 18 years ago, went through Aldershot each day as I worked in Farnborough.

I'd feel the same tbh, it's human nature to be self conscious when your the odd one out somewhere for whatever reason. It's all in your head though, although you think it (like we all would). No ones sitting laughing laughing at you saying check him out.

If you haven't started canvassing already youl encounter the same problem. It's all in the head though. Even before I chapped doors myself, whenever someone has canvased my door for work I've never closed the door after saying no to them and thought christ how daft does he look going round chapping doors. In your head you 100% think that's what's happening though.

I started using my car and carried on for 6 months just in the car, started last June. I was looking at vans for months, we were planning on buying a van in April 22. Then in December 21 I spotted a deal on a brand new Toyota ProAce City that was a really great deal but it wouldn't be ready till November 22! I was considering ordering one and even specked it out and have a price confirmed just about to pay a deposit and thought I would have another check to see what was out there before signing on the dotted line! Then I spotted a 2019 Peugeot Partner with 24K on clock with a 400lts Streamline RO/DI 2 man system in for less that the new van, seller ran out of text on advert and misspelt Window cleaning so it didn't come up on searches!!!! I did a bit more checking and it was same price as an empty 2019 van was going for!!! So on New Years Eve I put a deposit on it and it was delivered on 14th Jan 22! Took a few days to clean tank, buy reel, booster pump etc and have not looked back since! It is so much nicer not having to worry about when the backpack would run out and need a refill, not to mention more flow, faster rinse and just so much easier to setup and pack away. Plus with signwriting I just feel more professional, I wouldn't say the sign writing has brought much extra work in but it has brought some, even had 1 neighbour ring when I was cleaning opposite them as they could read my number from the side of the van!

I'm not saying jump into big debt, give it a good go in the car and make sure you enjoy the work! Working out of the car was a good grounding.
Good Luck.
I’m just looking at the moment, can’t afford anything tbh. In terms of am I enjoying it? Let’s just say I wish I was doing this full time as I really enjoy it and actually look forward to doing the work. that’s truly something I’ve never experienced in my 34 years of employment……looking forward to work ?, actually took a while for my brain to process that what I’m doing is actually a job.

Don’t worry about starting in a car!! I had barrels in a bmw 1 series initially when I went wfp, then put the seats down and put a 110l tank In (not advised) then bought a clapped out Astra estate and got a larger tank. Then when the exhaust fell off I realised it was time to up my game and got my first van ?

It might be a bit early but @Mx19 has a round for sale near you here: Rounds for sale - Fleet/Ash/Farnham/Farnborough Might be worth having a chat with him?
I use to live in Ash about 18 years ago, went through Aldershot each day as I worked in Farnborough.
It’s a decent round to be fair, one of my favourite days, well worth it if you’re looking to buy @JustLiam otherwise it’s one I won’t mind commuting for for a while longer!!

How times change. ? In the early days window cleaners used bicycles. When we started virtually every window cleaner used the family car with a pair of roof racks to carry the leaders.
Today, we all need a van.

Mate don’t ever worry about that, I turned up to my local spotless on day one in a new van and shiny T-shirt and couldn’t even operate the machine. That’s a proper way to look like it’s your first day at school!

Everyone starts somewhere and if you can nail it with a backpack you’ll be a pro by the time you need anything bigger ?

Back